Coopers Community

From Experience, what is the ideal secondary bottle fermentation duration

pilotsh

Just asking people out there how long on average they have secondary fermented in the bottles in a dark warm place? The instructions say 2 weeks in a dark warm place, then fridge, but I've read the flavour changes as time goes on! Then again, most people would have bought warm cases of beer and just left them in room temp storage for months, and only putting them in the fridge just before they plan to drink them, or for a party etc.

Do people leave home brews in warm place for longer? What have others found is a good secondary bottle fermentation time before putting them in the fridge? It would be great to hear of some personal experiences with home brew! 🙂

Edited by pilotsh
Typo

Depends on the style. Some are good after 3-4 weeks, others take longer. There isn't really a standard that fits all beers. Generally the darker a beer the longer it takes to hit its peak but as with anything there are exceptions, such as lagers (although it's time cold that improves them rather than warm). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

(although it's time cold that improves them rather than warm). 

Sorry now I am confused: so why do they recommend 2 weeks warm first then fridge?

13 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Sorry now I am confused: so why do they recommend 2 weeks warm first then fridge?

So the carbonation can happen. The remaining yeast in the brew ferments the sugar you put in the bottle to carbonate the beer. That can only happen at a temp where fermentation will happen which is room temp.  This takes about 2 weeks, even less sometimes, then the beer is ready to drink.  But aging it longer helps. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

2 weeks warm for carbing up. Lagers done with lager yeast are an exception, they condition cold, and then store cold. That's why I don't do them.

Pales ales are best fresh. Still a bit green at 2 weeks, good at 4, flavours start to fade around 8 weeks from bottling, give or take - depends on the hops used and how much...

As already said, darker beers will age better, I've some in the forgotten vault. I've got a couple of Scottish ale left from last July that's smooth as, all the 6.5% alc sweetness and malt has mellowed, a bit too easy to drink. A bitter than was a fail, made with dark malt was too too harsh and roasty for me. 9 months later, very drinkable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

Martys right, but there's nothing to say you can't take a sneak peak at 1 week & putting it in the fridge to try, the beer will be better at 2 weeks, sometimes better at 3 weeks, trying it at 1 week will let you know what 'green' beer is, there's no hard & fast rule but the beer will 'develop' the longer it's left.

Lab Rats right on the money, with a few brews behind you you'll get a feel for it, for now go thru the forum, ask more questions.

Edited by Geoff S

Yes with lagers they need to carbonate first before being put in cold storage. They don't need to be at 18+ to do this however, as lager yeast work at temps down to single figures. The cold storage improves their flavour. 

With others like ales they don't need the cold storage treatment to improve, so they can be left warmer. They still do improve a bit being cold stored though. I keg my beer now so I don't have to worry about carbonation temperature as it's done by a gas cylinder, but I definitely notice ales improving the longer they sit on tap.