Coopers Community

Recipe suggestions

Royce75

Hi all, 

been a while since I home brewed and just getting back into the swing of it. Long time Coopers drinker but also a tragic for the old faithful Reschs draught. I was curious if anyone can help with a recipe using one of the Coopers extracts. I’ve just started a straight lager after buying the kit to get my eye back in so to say. Having said this I’d love to get a recipient for the Reschs draught note not the Pilsner. Any help will be appreciated. 

Great forums and wish me luck.

thanks Royce. 

Then there is this  from 

https://aussiecraftbrewing.com.au/thread/2689/reschs-clone

I have brewed all grain versions but a kit version is possible to get most of the way there.

It actually lends itself to kit because the real article is not too malt based, using a fair proportion of cane sugar.

You want it a bit darker than modern Australian lagers such as VB or Carlton Draught. You can get this by adding a teaspoon of Parisian Essence caramel colouring from the bakery section of the supermarket. The "correct" way is to use some Australian (not UK) roast barley from a company such as Joe White - who make it for CUB for their stouts and of course Reschs, but you wouldn't find much difference in the finish and as a kit brewer it's a lot of frigging around just to get a small quantity of the stuff. The idea is not to add anything like crystal malt that will give a sweetish note, the beer should be dry and light gold to amber in colour. Parisian essence is not sweet and is similar to the caramel used in many UK beers and old time Australian beers.

The other thing is to use some hop - Pride of Ringwood or Superpride - to give you the hop presence that you still get in Reschs. It's one of those beers, that I've been drinking for 20 years, where they obviously haven't screwed it over to the same extent as XXXX heavy or Carlton Draught.

I'd start with a tin of a pale and lightly hopped Coopers and build on that:

1 tin Coopers Lager original series
1.2 kg White sugar
1 teaspoon Parisian Essence.
A Pride of Ringwood hop finishing tea bag (from ESB if you are in Sydney).

Make up kit as usual and pop in the teabag and the Parisian essence at the same time as you pitch the yeast.

If you have temperature control and can keep the brew under 15 degrees then use a dry lager yeast such as s-23 for 10 days then lager as cold as possible for 10 days.

Otherwise ferment with Nottingham Ale yeast that will give you that dryness, but watch out for foaming.

• Like 1

I can't vouch for those recipes.  They are just what I found.  

Mind you I reckon the ingredients would be the same for a lot of commercial beer - Lager can, pile of sugar and some Pride of Ringwood.  It kind of spells traditional Australian beer.  

As for the Parisian essence I haven't seen that on these pages since I threatened to make a home brew recipe I used to make in a rubbish bin in the bad old days .😁

• Haha 1

Hello I am the Reschs man.   So @Royce75 what vintage of Reschs drinker are you. The taste has changed quite dramatically over the years. So when did you star drinking it?   Not sure i would go with the PoR hops. Generally traditional Reschs was made with Cluster and EKG hops.  Not sure what base to use will get  back to you on that but maybe the real ale base is closer to the colour and bitterness.   Leave it with me I will go through my recipes and let you know. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right I have been having a good look at the recipes and if i was making a Reschs clone for an old School 60/70s Reschs made in the old Waverley Brewery at Moore Park I would use the  Real Ale as the base the colour  and the bitterness are in the ball park. I would suggest not using Pride of Ringwood hops as I am yet to see any recipes where Reschs was flavoured with hops other than Cluster and EKG.   So my suggestion is:

1 can Real Ale

1kg LDM

15 minute hop tea of 25g of East Kent Golding and Cluster. 

As you dont have  temp control use a German or Belgium Ale yeast. The LHBS will have one.  

Now there will be critics of that recipe but they mostly think of Reschs as a Pilsner which it is not they are totally different beers.  Resch studied brewering in Southern Germany and his styles resembled German Ales and lagers.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Hello I am the Reschs man.   So @Royce75 what vintage of Reschs drinker are you. The taste has changed quite dramatically over the years. So when did you star drinking it?   Not sure i would go with the PoR hops. Generally traditional Reschs was made with Cluster and EKG hops.  Not sure what base to use will get  back to you on that but maybe the real ale base is closer to the colour and bitterness.   Leave it with me I will go through my recipes and let you know. 

My first schooner was way back in 1991 I’m 44 so was a little underage at the Earlwood Hotel! I want that Kent Brewery taste. The older style. Had the bite but refreshed. 

10 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Right I have been having a good look at the recipes and if i was making a Reschs clone for an old School 60/70s Reschs made in the old Waverley Brewery at Moore Park I would use the  Real Ale as the base the colour  and the bitterness are in the ball park. I would suggest not using Pride of Ringwood hops as I am yet to see any recipes where Reschs was flavoured with hops other than Cluster and EKG.   So my suggestion is:

1 can Real Ale

1kg LDM

15 minute hop tea of 25g of East Kent Golding and Cluster. 

As you dont have  temp control use a German or Belgium Ale yeast. The LHBS will have one.  

Now there will be critics of that recipe but they mostly think of Reschs as a Pilsner which it is not they are totally different beers.  Resch studied brewering in Southern Germany and his styles resembled German Ales and lagers.  

Cheers mate I’m going to give this a real crack now. Many thanks for all the replies. Recommendations on the best store to get a mail order from would be appreciated to get the hops please? Based in Sydney 

6 minutes ago, Royce75 said:

My first schooner was way back in 1991 I’m 44

My 1st was in legal was in 74 but the old man drank both Flag Ale and DA. So was a natural progression for me to drink Reschs. Anyway that is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

5 minutes ago, Royce75 said:

Cheers mate I’m going to give this a real crack now.

If that doesn't quite get there tell me.  My goal is to find an accurate reproduction.   I am getting closer with my grain recipes.   

2 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

My 1st was in legal was in 74 but the old man drank both Flag Ale and DA. So was a natural progression for me to drink Reschs. Anyway that is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

If that doesn't quite get there tell me.  My goal is to find an accurate reproduction.   I am getting closer with my grain recipes.   

Dad swore by Reschs and Tooth’s old (Kent Brown) I think my first sip was at 4 yrs old from a steelie of DA! 😂 so yeah Reschs it was. The Smooth Black Ale was great for that short period. Will let you know how I go. 

• Thanks 1

As far as those hops go should be no problem getting them. The East Kent Golding or  EKG  is an "old world" hop used in loads of English beers styles. Cluster is also a popular hop but is not used as much these days as the American hops take over the craft/home brewing world.  So you local home brew shop (LHBS) should have both.  The malt will be available at the LHBS or anywhere that sell Coopers like Big W etc. 

• Thanks 1