Coopers Community

Uses for a spare Coopers Brew Enhancer 1!?

pilotsh

So in the Coopers DIY Kit it includes a Brew Enhancer 1 (BE1), yet the Lager Can says to use with Brew Enhancer 2 (BE2). So I got one of those (BE2) and will use that. (I understand new kits being manufactured now include BE2, not BE1).

But, I can't find a single extract/can on Diybeer that uses BE1! From what I can tell, BE1 is 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin (600g/400g). So, basically sugars...... can I cook with it? 😉 Are there cans that use BE1?

So, fun question of the day: what would you use 1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 for? 🙂

Edited by pilotsh
typo

31 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Use 250g per brew for an alcohol boost?

This.  Just split it and add to whatever sugars you use in your next 2 brews. You're not going to make a sweet beer with a bit extra maltodex.

I used the lager can and the BE1 that came with it for an experiment. I mixed it all up, fermented it using Kveik and the result was a truly...drumroll...drumroll...drumroll...awful beer 🙂 

I agree, either split it up over the next few brews or go for Otto's suggestion.

• Haha 1

The Coopers Recipe Unreal Beer uses BE1 with Real Ale, can yeast & 500gr of LDM, I've got one conditioning now & another using same recipe ready to bottle but with US-05 yeast for something different, trying for a cheap easy mega-swill(drank the dregs from the FV & it tasted OK, but I also like shiny things), a lot of the guys here have had their taste buds spoilt rotten by excessive hop usage, cracked grain enhancements & the seedy use of exotic yeasts, so they could be biased. 😁

Lots of good ideas and comments, thank you!

I have 5 cans at home: 4 Coopers 1.7kg ones and a 1.3kg Mr.Beer. So I think I will add it to my future brews as thus:

210g into Coopers Dark Ale (as well as 1kg BE3)

210g into Coopers European Ale (as well as 1kg BE3)

210g into Coopers Australian Pale Ale (as well as 1kg BE2)

210g into Coopers Larger (as well as 1kg BE2)

160g into Mr.Beer Craft Bewitched Amber Ale

Any thoughts on this plan with the brews I listed? 🙂

My 10g US05 yeast arrived today (the 5g included one was dated Mar 2017), so I plan on starting on the Bewitched Amber Ale tonight! Woohoo beginner! 

🙂

Edited by pilotsh
Typo

4 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Can't hurt! Will make a strong brew in a Craft fermenter with those 1.7kg tins, will be interested to see how they taste!

I will only be doing the first Craft brew can/kit in the small FV from the kit and then washing and storing the small FV. I will then ferment the big cans in the big FV/Kit. It will be nice to have a spare test tube, SG scale and bottling valve for the future! 😀 

I like how the big kit included that big plastic mixing spoon and more bottles! 😁

5 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

If you like a dark beer check out the Abbey Dubbel in the recipe section for the small fermenter. Well worth it easy to do.

Ooooo, sounds yummy, thank you. I'll probably get some of those small ones from the website in a few months once I have done the first 5 that I have now. 😄

Awful dreadful stuff that BE1.    It needs to be disposed of properly.  Send to James of Bayswater at the usual address and he will take care of it for you.  😁

OR

You could take Coopers recommendation and try out one of these recipes (click on recipe to go to its page).  All the recipes as rated 'Easy' and are ideal for the new brewer...

(These are lifted from Shamus O'Sean's Recipe Spreadsheet  which you can get by clicking the link.

Blushing Blonde
Extra Smooth Bitter
Irish Ale
Lawn Mower Lager
Strawberry Blonde
Unreal Ale

Happy brewing !

• Like 2