Coopers Community

Cidar carbonation

davids47

I am about to bottle a MJ apple cider and was wondering about bottling with out carbonation,

is there any pitfalls in doing this  like time it can be left in bottle ageing ,

my last cider i made ,we drank a lot of that before it carbonated up, and we liked it better that carbonated

19 minutes ago, davids47 said:

my last cider i made ,we drank a lot of that before it carbonated up, and we liked it better that carbonated

Was there any CO2 in the early drinks that you liked better? i.e. was it just alcoholic apple juice or lightly carbed cider? If the 2nd you could just put small amounts of sugar in instead of teaspoonful levels.

53 minutes ago, davids47 said:

I am about to bottle a MJ apple cider and was wondering about bottling with out carbonation,

is there any pitfalls in doing this  like time it can be left in bottle ageing ,

No issue at all I don't carbonate a lot of my ciders I make as I prefer them that way. I also find with mine ageing doesn't improve them at all so if you don't mind them uncarbonated the turn around from FV to your stubby is really quick.

Got this as a reply from MJ

Thanks for your patience while I consulted the tech team about this. 

The advice I have from the tech team is that you need to be very careful to avoid the cider becoming badly oxidised very quickly.
Also the shelf life once bottled is very short if there’s no co2. I’d recommend reducing the amount of priming sugar significantly. As long as there’s enough to give a hiss when the bottle opens, there’s enough to keep it fresh – maybe 25%-50% of what he would normally use. Then it would be a gently sparkling cider but not entirely flat.

I hope this helps, Many Thanks 🙂

• Like 2