Coopers Community

Coopers Preachers Hefe Yeast

Has anyone used the kit supplied yeast (code ‘H’) with the Coopers Preachers Hefe and can advise whether the resulting style is that of a German Hefeweizen (as the name suggests) or a Belgian Wit (which the recommended replacement yeast WB-06 suggests?)

I made a AG Witbier 50/50 Wheat Malt and Pale Malt with Coriander and Orange using the kit yeast it was a nice beer not a huge fan of Wheat beers but it was delicious. It wasn't an over powering yeast and I made it in winter without temp control so it would of been around 18-20 degrees. I had the kit yeast left over as I used WB-06 with the Hefe kit s few months earlier and a can of liquid wheat malt. That one I didn't enjoy as much but was fermented in summer also without temp control so that could also be a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Coopers hefe strain is likely either WB-06 or Lallemand Munich. 

WB-06 is a diastaticus strain. I am not sure if Lallemand Munich is diastaticus or not; it appears that it is not.

I wrote to Mangrove Jack's and they told me that M20 is not diastaticus.

Personally I don't want diastaticus strains in my brewery. Given that the yeast that comes with the Coopers wheat kit might be WB-06, I personally would not use it and go with M20.

To find out more about diastaticus yeast, you can read this thread:

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

Thanks to all for replies so far, I was really interested to know what style of wheat beer the Cooper’s ‘H’ yeast produces, German Heffe or Belgian Wit. I don't need an alternative, I have a couple of unused sachets left over from previous brews.