Coopers Community

Gravity

Farlow

Hi all,

complete newby on first batch. Im doing a dark ale tin with enhancer 3. The OG was 1034. After 5 days SG is 1010. Does this sound right?

when I put that into a beer app it tells me its about 3.1% ABV. 

It still has another 2 days to go before bottling, should it change or have i stuffed it up somehow? im sure the video i watched said it should be around 1026

Cheers

Robb

Hi @Farlow,

It depends on a few things.  What was your batch size?  In a 23L batch you would expect a 1.7L kit and kilo of fermentables to be around OG of 1.040, maybe 1.039.  Check your hydrometer, it should read 1.000 in distilled water at 20°C.

Otherwise it sounds pretty right to me.  Once you bottle and add some sugar (carbonation drops or actual sugar) you can add 0.4% to your ABV.

Do not think about the bottling time based on days.  It should be bottled after you have consistent SG readings over a day or two.  That means fermentation is complete.  Days are a guide, but readings are confirmation.

I doubt you have stuffed up anything.  We are all paranoid about making our first brew to the instructions so it comes out good.  You seem to be on the right track as far as I am concerned.  Maintain your sanitation at bottling time and you will do well, especially with your choice of Dark Ale and BE3.

Let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1