Coopers Community

Brewing sugar or dextrose

nthom

HI, could anyone explain to me the difference between 'Brewing Sugar" and "Dextrose". I have been brewing beer for a lot of years using Dextrose but see Coopers selling Brewing sugar, which leaves me wondering what should I be using? Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, Titan said:

Its the same thing.

Not quite but almost.  I think you will find the Coopers brewing sugar 1kg pack contains 80% (800 g) dextrose and 20% (200 g) maltodextrin.  And that is why the Coopers brewing sugar is usually about $1 per kg more expensive than the Coopers Dextrose.  That's what I have noticed in most retailers anyway.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nthom said:

HI, could anyone explain to me the difference between 'Brewing Sugar" and "Dextrose". I have been brewing beer for a lot of years using Dextrose but see Coopers selling Brewing sugar, which leaves me wondering what should I be using? Thanks in advance.

They aren't the same thing. Brewing sugar has 20% malto in it.

Coopers products are here - https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs/#FAQ_4_02

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Not quite but almost.  I think you will find the Coopers brewing sugar 1kg pack contains 80% (800 g) dextrose and 20% (200 g) maltodextrin.  And that is why the Coopers brewing sugar is usually about $1 per kg more expensive than the Coopers Dextrose.  That's what I have noticed in most retailers anyway.

Cheers - AL

Correct.

@Titan All good, I was only referring to the OP question re Coopers brewing sugar.  No harm done. 

Just thought it may help to point out they are not all generic, one size fits all sort of product.

Your example looks like its 100 % Dextrose. 

There are several other companies that sell "brewing sugar" I wont name them here but it you look closely at their product ranges in some cases they are a blend but still called brewing sugar on the pack or the bag.  I have two packs of another brand, 1 is 100 % dextrose and the other is a blend.  Both are labelled as brewing sugar so it can be confusing.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1