Coopers Community

Ok, this ones definitely infected

King Ruddager

44 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

There's no ammonia in bleach?  Certainly not the stuff I buy which contains sodium hyporchlorite - and it most definitely smells of chlorine.  In fact I'm pretty sure mixing bleach and ammonia produces  toxic fumes.

I didn't say 'no ammonia in bleach' but I just looked at the White King I have and it's sodium hypochlorite so I guess I have the smell wrong. To me chlorine is the swimming pool smell or house tap water smell and bleach doesn't smell like that.

43 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I didn't say 'no ammonia in bleach'

Well, saying it smells like ammonia tends to suggest it contains ammonia...otherwise how else could it smell like ammonia? 🤔

To me chlorine is the swimming pool smell or house tap water smell and bleach doesn't smell like that.

To me, that's exactly what it smells like...  just a lot stronger. 

3 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Well, saying it smells like ammonia tends to suggest it contains ammonia...otherwise how else could it smell like ammonia? 🤔

To me, that's exactly what it smells like...  just a lot stronger. 

Not what I said though. You replied with "There's no ammonia in bleach?" which clearly suggests I said there's no ammonia in bleach. I didn't say any such thing. Then you responded with the quote which contradicts your previous post. Methinks you are confused?

I just took a whiff of the White King and it smells nothing like a swimming pool, nor what I recall chlorine gas smelling like. But maybe it's just individual impressions.

6 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Methinks you are confused?

I don't think so.    

You did say bleach smells like ammonia.  Perhaps I should have asked:  if bleach does indeed smell like ammonia, why do you think that is given that we both agree that it doesn't actually contain ammonia?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:11 PM, Journeyman said:

I've accidentally scored well. Just before TSHTF I bought some White King, (unscented) got 12.5 kg of wholemeal flour from Lauckes (the last they would sell to a non-commercial buyer, literally) and now 3 times I have walked into either Woolies or Drakes and found cans still on discount. 😄 

On top of that apparently I qualify for the 'stimulus' so I'm wondering about moving to kegs... 😄 

BTW - 1/4 cup of bleach??? That is WAAAAY overkill. A capful or 2 maybe in there is fine. Look at what it says - "overnight or 30 minutes" - right there it tells you how much overkill the 1/4 cup is.

It's also got the smell wrong. Bleach smells of ammonia, NOT chlorine.

Depends how full you fill the fermenter. I wouldn't think that piddling amount in 30 odd litres is overkill at all.. I soaked a fermenter in bleach overnight recently and just tipped whatever in. And it didn't smell like ammonia either so something is wrong there by the sounds of it.

• 2 weeks later...