Coopers Community

Ok, this ones definitely infected

King Ruddager

44 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

1. Yes the "snap" tap is Coopers new tap that replaced the old one.

So it has the same physical dimensions as the old one and I can simply pull mine out and push the new one in place?

I'm thinking I need a spare or 2 - my other FV's I can get replacements at Bunnings but Coopers ones I haven't seen elsewhere, although it's possible I didn't 'see' them because they look different to what I have.

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

So it has the same physical dimensions as the old one and I can simply pull mine out and push the new one in place?

I'm thinking I need a spare or 2 - my other FV's I can get replacements at Bunnings but Coopers ones I haven't seen elsewhere, although it's possible I didn't 'see' them because they look different to what I have.

Not sure about that - hopefully someone else can enlighten whether they are the same dimensions.

I have never used the old one so can't say.

The Coopers taps would only be available from Coopers I'd say. You won't find them at Bunnings.

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Show us a pic of your tap JM

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I’m thinking the inlet size would be the same, so the new style taps should fit, I can check the size when I get home if you like, or someone else may be able to measure them 

S'OK... I contacted Coopers and asked. Sent the pic so waiting for a response. They already got back once asking which tap I had so they are responsive. 😄

58 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Ordered... 😄 With spare o-rings.

I’ve got 2 or 3 spare taps as I have 4 Coopers FV, my O- rings are fine, it’s the tap seal which has perished in 2 of mine, no replacements for those so I’ll order some new taps but keep the body etc, o-rings etc  for spare parts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

By the way, how long should one bleach one's fermenter for

I've seen people talk about days, but I can't see why - if the bleach is going to work it should all be over in an hour. If it can't do it in that time, I'd think it ain't gonna kill that bug. 😄

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Well, I'm doing it again. This time though I'll roast the nibs - that should kill any bugs living on them.

Can also soak in Vodka to make a tincture. Add the vodka and nibs after a few days soaking

6 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

By the way, how long should one bleach one's fermenter for

The FAQ says -

"To sanitise using Unscented Household Bleach: Add ¼ cup of unscented household bleach to the FV. Place all equipment in the FV, fill with cool water and let soak overnight (or at least 30mins). Rinse out with hot water to remove all traces of chlorine smell."

The bad news is that I have tried to buy bleach for several days but the shelves for the unscented bleach are totally bare.  

6 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

The FAQ says -

"To sanitise using Unscented Household Bleach: Add ¼ cup of unscented household bleach to the FV. Place all equipment in the FV, fill with cool water and let soak overnight (or at least 30mins). Rinse out with hot water to remove all traces of chlorine smell."

The bad news is that I have tried to buy bleach for several days but the shelves for the unscented bleach are totally bare.  

I've accidentally scored well. Just before TSHTF I bought some White King, (unscented) got 12.5 kg of wholemeal flour from Lauckes (the last they would sell to a non-commercial buyer, literally) and now 3 times I have walked into either Woolies or Drakes and found cans still on discount. 😄 

On top of that apparently I qualify for the 'stimulus' so I'm wondering about moving to kegs... 😄 

BTW - 1/4 cup of bleach??? That is WAAAAY overkill. A capful or 2 maybe in there is fine. Look at what it says - "overnight or 30 minutes" - right there it tells you how much overkill the 1/4 cup is.

It's also got the smell wrong. Bleach smells of ammonia, NOT chlorine.

Edited by Journeyman

20 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

The vodka soak always sounds like an expensive way to do it to me, and wouldn't it boost the ABV a fair bit too?

Probably only using 50 to 100ml or so to cover 100 to 200g of nibs in a jar so about $3 worth (just use the cheap stuff). It does sanitise them and not as expensive as losing the whole batch. Roasting them before hand also brings out some oils and flavours. The small amount of vodka doesn't do much to the ABV over 20 litres.

Sorry, responded before getting to the end of the thread.

When I did my stout it was 250mls of gentleman jack over 250g of cacao nibs. ( bourbon was a birthday present)

Did a calc at the time and it raised the finished ABV by at least a couple of points 

250mls at 40% alcohol is 100mls alcohol added to the full volume, in the FV..

if you had 23 litres of 5% beer that would be 1.15 litres of total alcohol.

if you add 100mls of alcohol to it, it would raise the ABV to 5.4% if my maths is right?

1.15/23= 0.05

1.25/23= 0.05434....

Cheers

James

On 4/3/2020 at 2:11 AM, Journeyman said:

It's also got the smell wrong. Bleach smells of ammonia, NOT chlorine.

There's no ammonia in bleach?  Certainly not the stuff I buy which contains sodium hyporchlorite - and it most definitely smells of chlorine.  In fact I'm pretty sure mixing bleach and ammonia produces  toxic fumes.

Edited by BlackSands