Coopers Community

Woolies no longer selling APA?

Instigator

17 minutes ago, Instigator said:

Just looked on their site and it isn't listed any more. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/search/products?searchTerm=coopers

I wonder if they have stopped selling it, or they are just out of stock due to the rush? 🤔

I noticed when I was getting the Woolies brand extract the price of the Coopers stuff was several $$ under the BigW prices. Thought I'd go there next. Will have to check next time in the shops.

Been thinking about this... They are closing pubs and now maybe the beer-making supplies are drying up. Add to that, closing the borders of States.

ScuMo better be careful - when the average Aussie runs out of beer we'll make the African Gangs in Melb and Sydney look like neightbourhood watch members. 😄 

So SWMBO wanted some chocolate & apart from earning brownie points I figured I'd check Woolies - nothing at all left. I wandered down to BigW (in same marketplace) and they were down to maybe 1/4 or less of their normal stock, and a lot of them had dings in the can, which I wouldn't touch as you general principle.  You don't know if the inner lining is compromised.

I bought 3 cans, a draught, a lager and an amber ale. I already have a real and a pale and about 70 bottles in the cupboard - does this make me a hoarder?

Went to a near local Woolies late this morning to get a single bottle of sweet chili sauce (yes I am a big hoarder too) ha ha.  Swung by the home brew shelf to get a couple of APA's and bugga none there.  Only Real Ale tins.  late this afternoon went to my normal Woolies which is much more local and bugga none there either.  Only about 8 Real Ale, and 2 lagers and 1 draught so grabbed one lager.  When I was there on Saturday afternoon the shelves were pretty well stocked of Cooper tins but not any more.  Its getting to be like dunny rolls and paper towels.

Wonder if I should start a Coopers Community Black Market thread (swap market) so we can send each other hops, tins, etc. so we can get on with brewing if we only had that one missing ingredient that someone else has an excess of.  What do you think?  That's providing the post will still deliver and it is cost effective.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

My local store don't stock any more but that's ok, I got a Drakes that does close by and Dan's and the online store of course.

You may want to check. Drakes was cheaper than BigW so I'm thinking those who couldn't score at Woolies would go to Drakes next. I chose BigW because a. they are in the same building and b. I didn't want to then drive to Drakes only to find they were out as well and c. I can do Afterpay at BigW.

So with the money I didn't pay out of my pocket now, I placed an order with beerbelly to stock up a bit more on LDM, grains and hops.

• Like 1

We've had good supplies here. I usually price compare to see who is on special. Woolies have been $17 a can here, and Dans is $16. Both are near me. Big W is the other side of town so I don't see myself driving that far to save a dollar or two.

Edit: plus, wife and I are self isolating/social distancing. I was also partly checking I could get APA with a food order delivery, such are the thoughts you have when bored. I seriously don't need any more Coopers supplies for a few months. 😮🍻

Edited by Instigator
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:53 PM, Journeyman said:

I noticed when I was getting the Woolies brand extract the price of the Coopers stuff was several $$ under the BigW prices. Thought I'd go there next. Will have to check next time in the shops.

Its been that way for a while here on the Mid North Coast. When BigW was $14.00 for OS cans, Woolies was 12.80, now Woolies is $13.60, Big W is $14.50.  I find Woolies the cheapest of the outlets here for Coops OS, and APA is $16.50

I noticed there was no Coopers stuff on the shelf in my local Woolies this week. It didn't cross my mind that they had stopped selling it.
I only tend to buy in Woolies if they have something knocked down in price.
There were a few cans of their own brand stuff though.

I generally go next door to the health food store anyhow. He's always around the same price.

The Woolies here in my eastern Melbourne suburban store have not stopped selling the Cooper's tins and other bits  Went to my local Woolies on Friday last and shelf was full up again with all their normal Cooper's stuff so I grabbed another 1 tin of APA as that's all I needed.  Don't think they actually have stopped selling it so have another look next time you are down your local.

Cheers - AL

On 3/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, GingerNuts81 said:

I am from Southern Adelaide, Noarlunga area, most wollies and big w are out. 

But a local Drake store has slightly discounted some, I will keep an eye on them, this time last year they heavily discounted the entire Coopers range. 

Watched a bloke clean out the shelves of brigalow apple cider cans and brewing sugar at Big W the other day, Modbury TTP. Was only odds and sods of Coopers tins left!

Edited by UncleStavvy

I think some smaller stores in Melbourne (i.e. Bayswater) have stopped stocking homebrew supplies but others (eg. Boronia) still do - it is probably up to the individual store.  If the manager thinks he can fill that spot with something more in demand that is what they will do - but if that is the case they should move the homebrew gear around to the toilet paper aisle.  Heaps of room.

Edited by James of Bayswater
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Went to my local Woolies on Friday last and shelf was full up again with all their normal Cooper's stuff so I grabbed another 1 tin of APA as that's all I needed.

Yeah, weird. I just clicked the link I put in the frst post and the APA is back. Maybe they got hit by the hoarders/preppers and ran out for a while. 🤔

Oh well, I'm glad it's not a permanent thing as the APA is a great base for a lot of recipes and it's convenient to get it when getting the groceries. 👍

20 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

I think some smaller stores in Melbourne (i.e. Bayswater) have stopped stocking homebrew supplies but others (eg. Boronia) still do - it is probably up to the individual store. 

Yep.  I am pretty sure that Ferntree Gully Woollies still stock it.  However, it never comes on special there anymore.  Belgrave, Monbulk and Emerald do not stock it anymore, not even the Woolies Homebrand versions.

• Like 1

That really surprises me because I would have thought there would have been a good deal of brewing in them there hills.   Then again, in the smaller stores, if they are going to sell all that Kombucha (whatever that is) something has to give. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep.  I am pretty sure that Ferntree Gully Woollies still stock it.  However, it never comes on special there anymore.  Belgrave, Monbulk and Emerald do not stock it anymore, not even the Woolies Homebrand versions.

Because Bayswater didn't have it, I assumed it was all... Obviously I need to expand my horizons. 

On 4/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, iBooz2 said:

The Woolies here in my eastern Melbourne suburban store have not stopped selling the Cooper's tins and other bits  Went to my local Woolies on Friday last and shelf was full up again with all their normal Cooper's stuff so I grabbed another 1 tin of APA as that's all I needed.  Don't think they actually have stopped selling it so have another look next time you are down your local.

Cheers - AL

I have found over the past month or so that APA is no longer on either of the woolies in the area, just a few lager/real ale/draught and dark, but the local IGA and foodworks here and the Big W at coffs still have the apa