Coopers Community

Expired can help (plus yeast suggestions)

dxroberts

iv read that it’s ok to use expired brew extract as long as you use fresh yeast.

Question is - i got an unopened kit via gumtree that came with a mr beer amber ale can. It’s 4 years past expiry. has anyone tried brew extract this old? I don’t mind if it gets darker just wondering if flavour etc will be decent. 

also if I’m getting new yeast any tips on what might be nice with an amber ale? 

thanks for any tips brew legends👍

+1 with Greeny. I would go with US05 it is a good robust yeast. You have nothing to lose really have a go and tell us how it tastes.  If it tastes really crappy when the ferment is over just don't bottle it.  If you keg then i would keg it and condition it for a week or so and if still crap turf it.  Anyway that is what I would do if you had the capacity to do it. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

1 minute ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

If you ekg then... 

You think it might stop his heart? 😄

10 hours ago, dxroberts said:

iv read that it’s ok to use expired brew extract as long as you use fresh yeast.

I'd use it. Get some LDME and some hops and give it a go. It's in a can and about all that can happen will be it is darker than it should be. If the can ain't bulging it will be fine.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

Following up - 

I used the 4 yo amber ale can and made this maple ale ROTM with ingredients and yeast from LHBS

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/maple-mountain-brown-ale.html

Primary fermentation - 8 days

Bottle ageing - 3 weeks and counting. 

Tastes bloody delicious. i think the fact that the extract may have darkened over years wasn’t an issue with this recipe (darker the better). Also think I lucked out having bought a kit that was stored away in the cool for all those years. And getting all other fresh yeast, grain, maple syrup and LME helped enormously. 

Definitely going for the freshest ingredients possible from now on but fun to roll the dice and see what happens. 

Cheers for the tips! 

1DC02D44-D957-41E1-BAEA-4EE5D518E28B.jpeg

• Like 3

Score one for the oldies! 😄 Glad it came out good. Mind you, that's one helluva head on it. 😄

I think sometimes people are influenced by 'use by' dates. Remember cans were invented to keep food good. For mine, I trust my nose over random dates stuck on cans (or other foods for that matter) If it was bulging I'd turf it or if it smelt bad when you opened it also. But the whole point of a can is to keep the internals from spoiling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1