Coopers Community

Passion fruit beer

I am going to  try a hazy mild style ipa/fruit style beer  the question is concentrate puree flavour additive will be using lightlager  and wheat as base malts with malted oats just looking for input off people that have done similar with passion fruit cheers and thanks in advance

I did a version of the Pavlova Pale Ale a while ago.  It has passionfruit pulp in the recipe.  I cannot say I noticed it in the finished beer.   However, I did double the amount of lactose (by accident), which may have smothered some of the other flavours.

Using it in a hazy IPA style sounds nice if you can get it to come through.  Picking a complimentary hop would be critical.

• Like 1

Thanks for that  Shamus I will be using  .8 to 1.2kg of pulp for 25L  after reading that recipe but will do a bit more research maybe more  . The hops I wanted to use are out of stock which where simcoe and citra  so I think  it will be just hops mainly for bittering  and puree for taste I have chinook and ekg but might try and find something else

I am not kettle souring I am just going with the taste of the puree 

25L in the fermenter

4.4kg light lager gladfield

1.8kg winter wheat voyager

.7kg malted oats

.5kg rice hulls 

FWH 20g simcoe @30 ibu's

5.2ph  stabilizer  added to mash

30g simcoe + 50g mosaic and 1.6kg of passion fruit puree  after primary fermentation  say day 3 to 5 for 5 days 

Cheers and beers

regards Brian

• Like 1

Very interested in how these turn out.  My wife drinks about 1 glass of beer per month and then its got to have raspberry cordial in it as she hates the taste of beer.  She loves passion fruit and we have about 5 passion fruit vines in our garden so no problem with this resource

Now if I could brew a passion fruit beer that she would enjoy maybe more passion for me and we could both enjoy a beer afterwards.🥰

Cheers - AL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Very interested in how these turn out.  My wife drinks about 1 glass of beer per month and then its got to have raspberry cordial in it as she hates the taste of beer.  She loves passion fruit and we have about 5 passion fruit vines in our garden so no problem with this resource

Now if I could brew a passion fruit beer that she would enjoy maybe more passion for me and we could both enjoy a beer afterwards.🥰

Cheers - AL

Cheers Al the brews done and dusted cubed and cooling in the fermenting fridge . Will put in the fermenter  tomorrow. Should dry hop and add fruit late next week cheers Ps sounds like my missus she only likes the very occasional sour  beer  lol 

On 3/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, therealthing691 said:

will update as we go  I am hoping for this colour a little lighter actually  hey we will see its nice to dream

20200118_154806 (1).jpg

well this is the colour after adding the fruit at gravity test living the dream. PMSL But doesn't taste 1/2 bad cheers

20200328_104945.jpg

20200328_104934.jpg

20200328_104937.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm, might have to stop my wife from eating all the passion fruit for breakfast.  There may be none left for a brew soon or come winter.

Keep us informed further down the track @therealthing691 am keen on proving my beer brewing manly hood to the wife with something along this recipe.

Cheers - AL

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, therealthing691 said:

is sour but not overly  I put 1.6kg of passionfruit pulp from woollies and 425g of puree pear and mashing another passion fruit as we speak same grain bill but will have citra in the dry hops as well this time cheers

well over shoot the BHE was aiming for 65% got about 77% . I mashed for 60mins longer as could only get the pump flowing slow but hey I added 2.5 L of water to the finished product or the abv was going to be way to high  extra beer bonus

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 1:15 PM, Olemate said:

What about this, courtesy of Cheeky Peaks Brewing ;

image.png.c3017e6b8498703235eb2898af85be9f.png

Hey, was looking at doing this one and was just wanting a little more detail with SECONDARY Passionfruit Pulp 1kg (5 days) and are are not quite sure what this means???

On 3/20/2020 at 1:15 PM, Olemate said:

What about this, courtesy of Cheeky Peaks Brewing ;

image.png.c3017e6b8498703235eb2898af85be9f.png