Coopers Community

Beer bread?

Jfergus

Hi all,

Love a good homebrew, about to bottle an amber. With the shops in a bit of a mess and all the panic buying due to COVID19 I haven't been able to buy any bread yeast to make bread but have plenty of flour.

Anyone got any recipes that use the left over bit in the bottom of the fermentor as a yeast replacement or just how to make a loaf with a coopers bottle with its sedament instead of dry bread yeast?

Cheers for any input anyone can give!

Edited by Jfergus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Make sourdough

On 3/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, Journeyman said:

There are lots of beer bread recipe results in a search - you may be gone for a while making your choice. 😄

51 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Agree with Ben. Sourdough makes a more sensible choice 

ha ha yes, i do have a filthy old starter in hibernation in the fridge but would take a few days minimum to get healthy, possibly closer to a week. Thanks for the input, i think i was jus wiggin out of the ol COVID! Might get the starter healthy again now flour is back at the supermarkets 

1 hour ago, Jfergus said:

ha ha yes, i do have a filthy old starter in hibernation in the fridge but would take a few days minimum to get healthy, possibly closer to a week. Thanks for the input, i think i was jus wiggin out of the ol COVID! Might get the starter healthy again now flour is back at the supermarkets 

Well get her inebriated and get her working 

This isn't exactly beer bread, although the purchase may lead to that. I just went to Strathalbyn (40 kms) to get some flour - given it vanishes from the supermarkets faster than I can get there (which is a puzzle all in itself - they are now on limits for how many of  each item being hoarded anyone can buy so how come certain shelves are STILL always empty?) so I can make bread. Home made bread is nourishing and can help other foods stretch much further, so I figured I'd get some for the pantry.

Given none available I thought I'll go to Laucke Mills - I buy their flour for bread as I know there's no crap in it and it's still made by a family business - I think they have the only old-style mill left in Australia at Bridgewater in Vic. I rang last week to organise it, got there today to find out I got the very last bag of flour they are selling to the public and if I hadn't rung last week I would have been out of luck.

12.5 kg wholemeal, enough for about 31 loaves of wholesome home made bread, for less than 0.90c per loaf. 😄 😄 

Sometimes you get lucky!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, Journeyman said:

This isn't exactly beer bread, although the purchase may lead to that. I just went to Strathalbyn (40 kms) to get some flour - given it vanishes from the supermarkets faster than I can get there (which is a puzzle all in itself - they are now on limits for how many of  each item being hoarded anyone can buy so how come certain shelves are STILL always empty?) so I can make bread. Home made bread is nourishing and can help other foods stretch much further, so I figured I'd get some for the pantry.

Given none available I thought I'll go to Laucke Mills - I buy their flour for bread as I know there's no crap in it and it's still made by a family business - I think they have the only old-style mill left in Australia at Bridgewater in Vic. I rang last week to organise it, got there today to find out I got the very last bag of flour they are selling to the public and if I hadn't rung last week I would have been out of luck.

12.5 kg wholemeal, enough for about 31 loaves of wholesome home made bread, for less than 0.90c per loaf. 😄 😄 

Sometimes you get lucky!

Holy smokes, that's a sign of the times isn't it!? I appreciate the info re they dont add anything in, will get that flour when able to once this settles down. A Few months ago i convinced my parents to buy a grain mill, have a 10gk bag of wheat that i mill when i need to so i can keep the bread going, biggest challenge i see ahead is getting yeast - our town has been all sold out since weekend before last! The issue with my parents having the mill at their house is they are over 70, so i might have to stop visiting soon.

Ha ha ha going to have all grain brewers milling their barley stocks soon for bread instead?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Shoot! I guess I will have to convert the 50 odd kg into beer then.

Local homebrew guy was out of DEX lol had a run on the joint, our dans is out of be 3 and 2 and almost DEX to! Might be malt cans for the end of the world if your like me and not an epic all grains brewer

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jfergus said:

not an epic all grains brewer

Those words just about sum me up.  I have only just started really.  Managed to get a great haul from two brewers who were stepping out of the game.  Now I do not know what to do with it all.

Having said that, between base malts and speciality malts, I could brew just about anything.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Those words just about sum me up.  I have only just started really.  Managed to get a great haul from two brewers who were stepping out of the game.  Now I do not know what to do with it all.

Having said that, between base malts and speciality malts, I could brew just about anything.

put a OS stout can down with some liquid amber malt and short fuggles boil, cant wait to get it bottled ha ha its in the simple things in these crazy times

• Like 1