Coopers Community

Keezer size

10 hours ago, Popo said:

What do you think is the minimum sized chest freezer to fit 3 19L kegs?

I have a Keg fridge and from my experience is go larger.  I have 3 taps which one would think is fine but it isn't.   The reality is need room for a couple of extra kegs for lagering/conditioning, a few bottles, your yeasts and your gas bottle.  The reality is you may have 3 taps but you need loads more room.   

• Thanks 1

My keezer is 275L I think, fits 4 19L kegs & taps. Space on the compressor hump for another to cool and gas up ready for when one runs out, gotta be prepared 🤣🤣

One tip I would give is buy a reasonably well known brand eg- Fisher & Paykel, either new or 2nd hand.

Reason I say this is if it dies on you and you have to pull your keezer apart to replace it, at least with a well known brand they are easily accessible and for sizing ( as I enclosed mine in corrugated panels )  via gumtree etc. Not some dodgy crap from Gilligans Island that never gets made again, just my opinion 🍺🍺

Cheers RD44

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I had figured I'd probably need at least 200L. Not really in a position to fork out for a new one right now. I've been watching Gumtree but that size rarely comes up - where I live at least. The search will continue.

I'd hoped 2 kegs would be enough. I now know it'll have to be at least 3.

11 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

That’s the model I want to get for a fermentation chamber. 

Generally thats what i use for. But since i dont have any ferments going im conditioning a couple kegs. 

3 hours ago, Titan said:

Generally thats what i use for. But since i dont have any ferments going im conditioning a couple kegs. 

I’ll have to wait a long time until they get them back in now and hopefully my fermenter will fit down the bottom 

• 2 weeks later...

@Beer Baron you can also save a bit of height by not using the airlock.  Just use a right angle plastic irrigation fitting through grommet into a blow off tube down to a small bottle of sanitiser underneath your FV frame.  This would also work if using a spunding valve and fermenting under pressure.

Cheers - AL

• Thanks 1

I was following a thread elsewhere as I am trying to learn about kegging and possible issues. They were talking size and that a keezer is better than a kegerator and I asked why - they said size.

I've got a large upside down fridge that eventually I plan to use as a kegerator. 19L kegs are < 22 cm I think & I have 52 cm x 67 cm space. Sounds like up to 6 kegs in there I think, which is more than enough to keep me happy.  I doubt I want more than 2 taps.

Even better, the fridge and freezer are on separate controls so I don't have to worry about the kegs getting too cold.

2 questions:

1. Why do people put their CO2 cylinder in the fridge/freezer? Seems counterproductive seeing it will get cold every time you use it and the colder the gas the less pressure per volume you get. Is that so insignificant it isn't a factor? Is it just convenience so as to have 1 less hole in the fridge/freezer?

2. In a pub coolroom you can string multiple kegs to one line - is that not possible with HB keg systems? No hardware to allow it? Is there another reason why it isn't done?

image.thumb.png.79e6a9cfd8658a183982904ae3d574a3.png

Edited by Journeyman