PhilboBaggins

Fermenting under pressure

So the fermentation is going well. The new pressure gauge has fixed the spunding valve. I am using 15PSI this time. I have always used 8-10PSI in the past and am curious if I will be able to taste a difference.  Have any of you?

Something you can do with a spunding valve is check to see if you have a gas leak in your system: put in a high amount of gas and see if the needle drops. I want to try that sometime on my other two kegs.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:39 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

with one using W34/70 and the other Urquell 2001 both as 15psi and 22c

Do you cold crash before kegging ?

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do you cold crash before kegging ?

Some times but in general terms I thing of kegging and storing/lagering at  close to 1c as cold crashing in the keg.  So a bit from column A and a bit from column B... 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I am using 15PSI this time.

My recent foray on a lager style brew was 12-15PSI... at c.22degC with W34/70 and pretty happy with the outcome...

Question. After fermentation is complete, do you see the needle on the pressure gauge drop? Mine has and this does not seem right. Wonder if there is a leak somewhere? What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Question. After fermentation is complete, do you see the needle on the pressure gauge drop? Mine has and this does not seem right. Wonder if there is a leak somewhere? What do you guys think?

Yes that is normal. It will slowly drop as the CO2 in the headspace is absorbed as none is being produced.   Another indication that ferment has finished the temp will drop.   I use a stainless FV and these are great indicators.  I use a heat belt to regulate the temp and nearly all brews will increase beyond what I have set it at.  Once ferment is over they will reduce to the temp that the InkBird is set at.  The last Pils I made using Urquell 2001 was set at 22c and the temp rose naturally to 26c.  After about 3-4 days the pressure and temp  started to drop.  That is when I take a gravity sample.  It is usually at FG by then.  I leave for 24-48 hours then go my next step either keg or cold crash. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

My recent foray on a lager style brew was 12-15PSI... at c.22degC with W34/70 and pretty happy with the outcome...

W34/70 handles pressure well.  They are drinkable in about a week and great after about 4. 

• Like 1