Coopers Community

Mr Beer On The Mountain Pop Cream Ale

Was bored at work so had a look at the Mr Beer website and came across this recipe for On The Pop Mountain Cream Ale https://www.mrbeer.com/on-the-mountain-pop-cream-ale

It got me intrigued by the use of 4 Litres of Mountain Dew in it!!!

Has anyone ever brewed it or something similar using soft drink or soda (as the Americans call it).

Any chance this might be a craft recipe of the month sometime?

Cheers

Johno

• Like 1

I am a relatively new brewer but since no one else has posted, I'll have a go.

I'm all for experimentation in brewing, especially in these smaller batches, and this sounds pretty interesting. My only reservation is based on the constant advice given by the experts around here: don't use too much dextrose as you'll end up with a thin beer. I'm not sure of the exact makeup of Mountain Dew but I'd guess it's primarily simple sugar, similar to dextrose. This recipe has 1 x Golden Ale Brewing Extract, so it's not as though you're just chucking some yeast in Mountain Dew, but you still may end up with a thin beer.  Depends what your financial situation is, but for $30 you could be at the forefront of the next great brewing craze.

16 hours ago, Johno1525228972 said:

Was bored at work so had a look at the Mr Beer website and came across this recipe for On The Pop Mountain Cream Ale https://www.mrbeer.com/on-the-mountain-pop-cream-ale

It got me intrigued by the use of 4 Litres of Mountain Dew in it!!!

Has anyone ever brewed it or something similar using soft drink or soda (as the Americans call it).

Any chance this might be a craft recipe of the month sometime?

Cheers

Johno

I've never done anything like it. The can of Mr. Beer extract is made for the 8.5l FVs without any additions. Adding the sugary soft drink is basically adding extra sugar. It will not affect the taste of the beer but drive up ABV. 7+% is a fair bit. I have visions of it tasting a little like a high alcohol shandy 🙂 I'd say give it a try and let us know how it goes. Could be yummy or totally festy.

4 hours ago, Cassius said:

My only reservation is based on the constant advice given by the experts around here: don't use too much dextrose as you'll end up with a thin beer. I'm not sure of the exact makeup of Mountain Dew but I'd guess it's primarily simple sugar, similar to dextrose. 

That is correct but I think in this case, it isn't an issue. Unlike the 1.7kg cans for the 23l fermenters the 1.3kg Mr. Beer cans do not require any additional fermentables. The can alone has all the malt in it that's required to give the beer the full body. IMHO, the extra sugar in this case is mainly to drive the ABV levels up but won't steal body away but certainly won't add either. 

If you only add dextrose to a 1.7kg can, you will end up with a thin beer. But that is mainly because the can doesn't contain enough fermentables to give the beer a decent body. If you only add dextrose, you'll end up with something rather thin. However if you add malt, you will add to the body of the beer, making it richer. If you add a kg of malt, you add more body in the beer. If you then add another kg of dextrose, you will not end up with a "thinner" beer but a stronger one as all the dex is converted into alcohol. The body is practically unaffected by this.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had Something similar ish on Friday. 

Hairyman Pop ale spider. Tasted like creaming soda beer. Was delicious.... but not beery at all, so only go for it knowing that haha, def give it a try though. 

Screenshot_20210321-221856_Gallery.jpg

Edited by jpato
Added photo
  • Like 1