Coopers Community

Kveik: what is the deal and why it is the "thing"

Marty_G

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Quite remarkable. 

The think that astounds me is the versatility. The higher the temp the more esters so great for ales and the lower the temp the more neutral it is and the crisper it gets.  Well Voss does.  Now this is the really phenonemal part the range between cripness and huge esters is about 18c. Can do lagers in the low 20's and ales up to 42c. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

drinking latest kviek brew now,  3rd drink ready brew with 4th fermenting.

liking it !  I've tried  at 30-35 c (kit/kilo and hop boil) and not yet dry hopped., yet still plenty citrusy and well bitter.

high temp pitch makes it easy as.

Cheers all,

Guv

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:48 PM, BlackSands said:

I'll give it another day to settle/clean up then I guess a cold crash for a few days, and then into bottles.  All in about the same time that I would normally expect to just ferment a brew using conventional yeasts.  Quite remarkable.  Of course I had to have a taste of the sample...  apart from the fact that it was very warm it tasted pretty much like any other brew does at this stage of the process.  It's too early to tell yet of course, but I could well be convert!

Cracked open the first early taster last night.  I'm impressed!  I wasn't sure what to expect but it's tasting pretty clean to me, if there's a slight fruity contribution from the yeast as some suggest there is, it's not really all that obvious to me.  Either way, kveik certainly seems to suit this English style of beer, though it has fermented out a bit thin so will mash warmer next time.   I was also led to believe the beer would be a tad hazy but after CC and gelatin it's actually crystal clear.  I'm a convert!  😎  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Just started a split batch, a simple pale ale and Vienna malts beer with  Vic Secret as the single hop. The batch was split into two small fermenters @9l, one @18C in a fridge using US-05 and one at ambient, fermenting with Kveik Voss. I pitched both about 2 hrs ago. Check the difference between the two yeasts. Kveik is a beast.

B8D903D1-981D-4B0A-9ACA-F4236791B68B.jpeg

6532E8CA-AF3F-4882-888C-36EB2CC97BD6.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 6

On 1/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Just started a split batch, a simple pale ale and Vienna malts beer with  Vic Secret as the single hop. The batch was split into two small fermenters @9l, one @18C in a fridge using US-05 and one at ambient, fermenting with Kveik Voss. I pitched both about 2 hrs ago. Check the difference between the two yeasts. Kveik is a beast.

That's great . however i heard a lot of good things about lutra kveik yeast . the Flocculation is very high and the results very clean and doesn't have that yeasty aroma come with other kveik yeast .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, Aussiekraut said:

I pitched both about 2 hrs ago. Check the difference between the two yeasts. Kveik is a beast.

That's really cool @Aussiekraut AK mate.... will be really interesting to see how they compare.

What sort of temps are your ambient for the Kveik - are you 'keeping it warm' or letting it go up and down with ambient?

Thanks mate and Good Brewing!

11 hours ago, Graubart said:

I pitched both about 2 hrs ago. Check the difference between the two yeasts. Kveik is a beast.

That's really cool @Aussiekraut AK mate.... will be really interesting to see how they compare.

What sort of temps are your ambient for the Kveik - are you 'keeping it warm' or letting it go up and down with ambient?

Looks the goods AK. Awesome stuff mate. Please keep us updated. Love to hear how the ambient FV went. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 9:06 PM, Graubart said:

I started off @32C and I don't think it went much below that. Well, I couldn't see on day 2 and when I checked again on day 4, it was sitting on 32C, so it probably was fairly stable. 

• Like 2

Ok, a little update on the exbeeriment.

Kveik still is a beast. The beer started off at an OG of 1.052 and after 24 hours, it was down to 1.010. I took another sample on day 4 and it was sitting at 1.006, so it was probably done on day 2. In comparison, the temp controlled version with US-05 was sitting at 1.010 on day 4. Ambient temp was not too high but the beer itself stated at 32C and on day 4 it was sitting on 32C, so I suppose it didn't vary too much. Tomorrow I'll take the dry hops out and start cold crashing both FVs. It'll be interesting to taste the difference in the beer once it is done. 

• Like 5

Hey @Aussiekraut AK great experiment!

really interested to see how this turns out. Please keep us posted. Hope you get 2 great brews. May the Norse gods of beer be kind to you!

ive got a pack of Voss Kveik and thinking about doing an American pale ale with it... never used it before. But with this hot weather I should probably just take the plunge and get brewing. 

cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little follow up from my experiment. Both batches have been in the bottle for 2 weeks now, so it is time for a little side by side test. Firstly, the Kveik version is a lot more hazy, even when it is warm in the bottle as you can see. The Kveik version is also a little darker and whilst both have some chill haze, the candidate from Norway is visibly hazier as well.

As for the taste, I could go on about this and that but in the end, I prefer the US-05 version. It's cleaner in both, appearance and taste. The hops come out more. I did a sneak preview of both about a week ago and found the orange peel flavour of the Kveik beer overbearing. It has mellowed a fair bit but it still overpowers the hops and that's kind of defeating the purpose. I'll see what it is like in another week.

This is the 3rd attempt with Kveik and I 'm yet to be impressed. The first two, I blamed the beer itself but this one is a split batch and I have something to compare it to, so whatever happens with this one, it's all on the yeast.

KE1.thumb.jpeg.b0ac4aa5219683c2f26d9610596db8e3.jpeg

KE2.thumb.jpeg.07575c920de1f6c4987efc211919f976.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I also will eventually give the kveik a go just to rule it out but I also am a big fan of us05 and Nottingham. On the list is also trying Verdant IPA yeast as its supposed to be a bit of a gun itself. Also going to harvest some slurry it never ends 😎

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Legends,

I have done 2 batches with Voss Kveik and so far am undecided on it.

I think I have been too quick getting it in the keg as it ferments so bloody quick.

But my bottles from the same batch have been well better than the kegged beer (bloody noice actually)

This time I have about 8 days from brewday to heading back to work so I will give 5-6 days in the FV.

Was thinking of CCing then kegging but NOT putting it in the fridge until I get back from work 3 weeks later.

Hopefully this extended time at room temp, will improve the flavour of the kegged version ( I always have 3-4 750mls from a batch).

I wont be priming the keg with sugar, just give it a burst of CO2, then stick it in the cupboard.

The way I am thinking is the keg is just a big bottle so hopefully any weird flavours will dissipate in the 3 weeks..

Any thoughts as to whether is might or might not work?

Have never naturally carbonated/ primed a keg before , and still plan on burst carbing when I get back home if needed(?)

Cheers

James 

@James Lao I guess you won't know until you try it but my understanding would be you prefer the taste after secondary. If a keg is just a big bottle and you don't give that big bottle sugar it will still taste different. It may well age better at ambient without the sugar I'd be interested to know what you choose and how it goes. I've  often thought about aging a keg at ambient but haven't got big enough stocks to try it yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James Lao said:

Will defo report back with the results!

I think I have been too hasty getting it in the keg, the last 2 brews.

Looking forward to see if the extended time in the keg at ambient temps improves my perception of the beer.

Cheers

James

the  problem is becuase kviek ferments that quick  and ya have it in the keg  gassed up and can be drinking  a couple of days after ferment   the beer hasnt been given time to condition as eith  bottled condition ya looking still a week or 2   before drinking.

now  i wouldnt be leaving the keg at room temp after cc'ing i still leave ya co2 set to say 12psi and in the fridge  the beer will still condition in the fridge  however when you return 3 weeks later
your beer will be conditioned and carbed   .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, James Lao said:

I wont be priming the keg with sugar, just give it a burst of CO2, then stick it in the cupboard.

Yeah just make sure you clean out the Oxy... In a natural carb the Yeast does that for yer... good luck with your brew JL!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:49 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Firstly, the Kveik version is a lot more hazy, even when it is warm in the bottle as you can see.

KE2.thumb.jpeg.07575c920de1f6c4987efc211919f976.jpeg

I'm puzzled.  Hazy kveik beers seems to be a VERY common experience... I see people posting pics of hazy kveik beers all over the net.  It's surprising given it's very high flocculation... much higher than US-05.   Personally I haven't found it to be any different to any other yeasts I've ever used...  CC'd and fined my voss beers come up just as bright as any other beer.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread I have finally ordered some Kveik yeast as it looks like you lads are having a good run with it. I can fit two fermenters in my fridge so will be using this in Ambient Temp and in my 60 Litre fermenter. 

This will definitely improve my batch production, having the 60 litre running at the same time will bring me to 92 litres of beer each batch.

I ordered these. Thought I would try a few out.

Yeast.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Legends,

Didn’t end up naturally carbing a keg of Kveik ale but defo reckon this goes better after a 2nd ferment in the old bottles.

A lot clearer  and cleaner tasting with a bit of time conditioning in the bottles, compared to the Kegged version.

Kegged beer does not clear at all, and the yeast flavour overtakes any sweetness from the malt IMO, compared to other yeasts I have tried.

Still good to know you can get a beer ready to drink within 7 days if really need to !

Has also got me interested in trying other yeasts (Verdant), and different styles of beers (Hefeweizen)

Cheers

James

98D400B4-637D-48EF-A66A-FC2B1A000638.jpeg

527B375F-0F4A-4E98-BAB3-5AD6D6785920.jpeg

• Like 7

Ok, question for the Kveikers.

I've used Kveik Voss three times now and from a fermentation point of view, it is an impressive beast but I was not particularly impressed by the results. The first two were just crap beers but as mentioned earlier in this thread, the 3rd was a side by side small batch, with one batch using US-05, the other some Voss. The difference was like night and day but the Kveik batch doesn't clear up properly and I don't like the flavour the yeast imparts. The full on orange peel taste has faded a little but overall, not my thing.

I still have one pack of Kveik left and don't particularly want to throw it out, so I thought I give it one more go and attempt a (pseudo) lager. From what I hear, 25C is a good temp for this but the big question is, does the yeast throw the same orange peel flavours when fermenting at a lower temperature or is it still distinctly kveiky? I really don't want to waste 5 hours on brew day, 2 hours on bottling day and a whole batch of goodness, if it then goes down the gurgler. Can it ferment "clean" with only hints of flavour or is it always "in your face"?

I know @Marty 1525229005 and @BlackSands are staunch Kveikers. Maybe you guys can shed some light on this? How low can it ferment? I think it doesn't do much at all around 20C correct?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've used Kveik Voss three times now and from a fermentation point of view, it is an impressive beast but I was not particularly impressed by the results. The first two were just crap beers but as mentioned earlier in this thread, the 3rd was a side by side small batch, with one batch using US-05, the other some Voss. The difference was like night and day but the Kveik batch doesn't clear up properly and I don't like the flavour the yeast imparts. The full on orange peel taste has faded a little but overall, not my thing.

I have used Voss once and wasn't a fan either. I found it way too estery but not in a nice way like the Belgian or hefe yeasts. 

I have some Kveik yeasts in the fridge but haven't really been tempted to use them. I might wait until late Spring and do it at ambient when I need to boost up some stock.

• Like 4