Coopers Community

Kveik: what is the deal and why it is the "thing"

Marty_G

I, like many others, are on several different social media brewing pages. I have noticed that that brewing with Kveik has become to the "to do" thing.  So can someone enlighten me what this craze of using Kveik is all about.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Haha 1

It is a hardy yeast that can bring great flavours from its character and you don't need temp control, in fact, if you design the recipe right you can take full advantage of the esters coming from it.

It ferments fast, you don't need a lot, they say it is better to under pitch, but again it depends on the style and what you want from the brew. When I say fast, my buddy had activity within 30 minutes of pitching and it fermented out in 2 days, no joke, 1.052 OG.

I have even heard that at 25c, it makes a good lager, but haven't actually tried one yet. It is an amazing yeast that kind of flicks the finger at temp control.

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

It is an amazing yeast that kind of flicks the finger at temp control.

How do you reckon it would go on a summers day in Aus when the temps are in the high 30's? So Kveik is about getting flavour from the yeast. 

13 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

How do you reckon it would go on a summers day in Aus when the temps are in the high 30's? So Kveik is about getting flavour from the yeast. 

I think it would handle that easier than Buddy Franklin kicking a goal from 30 yards out, in front of the posts.

It wants to ferment at high temps.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently used it because I wanted a keg filled ASAP. I wasn’t ever really interested in wanting to use it, however I was intrigued, I had a full ferment fridge and thought “why not?”

I had a finished beer ready to keg within 3 days however I dry hopped on day 3 and kegged on day 7.  I was drinking that keg on day 9. 

kviek is just the “style” of yeast. Within the kviek world, you have 8 or 9 different strains. I used the osphaug strain as it doesn’t really produce any esters or have any noticeable flavour profile, allowing hop forward beers to do their thing. I was very happy. My only gripe is that it’s a hazy beast. I wasn’t expecting clear beer but that bad boy was cloudy right until the keg blew. 

would I use it again? Yeah for sure. I’ll probably use it to help with a “hazy pale” I’ve got in the recipe line up. My grain bill on the one I used was a bit dark and it didn’t really present as well as I’d liked due to the American ale malt. Ya live n ya learn.

i often see on Facebook pages brewers getting  all fussy about it.

“I don’t brew Norwegian blah blah blah what Evers” because of some “elitist” mentality. Then 2 seconds later they’re throwing lactose into a god dam ipa. Go figure. 

Happy brewing.  

• Haha 1

I notice that many of those using it, in the social media world,  also use it under pressure. To my way of thinking that would defeat the purpose as  any yeast can be used under pressure at higher temps and not get the high temp fermentation by-products. 

Don't know anything about Kviek yeast. This thread is my introduction to it. Sounds interesting. My LHBS sells three kinds by Omega: Voss Kviek, Hornindal (purified to remove lactic acid), and Hot Head . Any experience with these in Australia? Recommendations?

What kind of brews are you making with these yeast? Hop forward and fruity, like an IPA? Any tips on recipe formulation, ie what grist they work well with, or IBUs? 

Thanks,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

@Beer Baron even though you deleted your post we still get it via email. I don't use it as I need beer in a hurry, I use it due to not having temperature controlled brewing capabilities and out of interest.

@ChristinaS1 I am currently using OPSHAUG from Whitelabs. First brew was very simple and has MASSIVE lemon rind flavour, having only 20g of El Dorado in the boil it is entirely yeast related. Second brew is a Pacific Ale type brew, yet to be kegged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

@Beer Baron even though you deleted your post we still get it via email. I don't use it as I need beer in a hurry, I use it due to not having temperature controlled brewing capabilities and out of interest

I believe that people can do whatever they want. It just doesn’t interest me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I am currently using OPSHAUG from Whitelabs. First brew was very simple and has MASSIVE lemon rind flavour, having only 20g of El Dorado in the boil it is entirely yeast related. Second brew is a Pacific Ale type brew, yet to be kegged.

It's certainly a unique beast,  a Pacific ale would be a good fit. 

Perversely it doesn't like low OG worts much but you can convince it to ferment out 1.085 in 48 hours 

Edited by Mark D Pirate
Spelling mistake

Hey @ChristinaS1 I used it in what was meant to be an American pale ale. Given I had to change some malt pre brew it became some one of an experimental beer in terms of the grist. I went for the opsaug strain like Ben 10. I chose that due to it favoring hop Forward beers. I used plenty of cascade, centennial and Columbus. I did pick up some orange notes which did intensify throughout the keg. 

A8D9CE8D-7977-4D6B-82E0-B5FEAE36300D.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 2