Shamus O'Sean

Citrus Sail Saison Recipe of the Month

Citrus Sail Saison recipe

Hopefully those of you O/S who cannot read the online recipe can use this file to check out the recipe. Can only buy in Aus though and this one is actually sold out already, even here..

Citrus Sail Saison.pdf

w660_179035_18082_rotm_citrussail_saison_520x285.jpg.e09ef69190ff328cd1627d7bce412e34.jpg

Edited by Shamus O'Sean

That would be very nice, I think I just ordered some citra, will have to make something a like.

Ah perfect, there's already a thread. Going to put this down tonight but I've got a question about dry-hopping with lemon zest. Is the zest of one lemon really going to do anything in 23L? I don't want my beer tasting like Solo but would like it to be noticeable.

TIA, Cassius.

52 minutes ago, Cassius said:

Is the zest of one lemon really going to do anything in 23L

Dunno, I put 50g of lime zest in a wheat beer once, boiled. I could taste that.... but it was about 20 limes.

• Haha 1

I did the Zesty Blonde a while ago.  It has the zest from two grapefruits.  It was noticeable but very subtle.  Most of the Coopers recipes are constructed to not be too "in your face".  I think you could easy use two or more lemons in the Citrus Sail Saison recipe and find it quite pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dry-hopped my version of this last night. As I stated in the fail thread, I accidentally used the 25g of El Dorado in my Island Porter so I used 50g of amarillo instead. I also upped the lemon zest to two lemons in hopes of a properly zesty brewy. It may sound obvious to some, but I wasn't too sure of the best way to dry hop the lemon peel; when I use zest in food, I use a zester, which takes the peel off in tiny ribbons. I ended up just using a standard food peeler and this produced a perfect thickness of peel, without putting any pith in. I just threw the peels in loose, hoping they wouldn't all sit on top, and most of them sank. Very excited for this one.

• Like 2

Bottled this one the weekend. 6.7% before bottle conditioning. Tasted the hydrometer sample and it was certainly lemony. I'm thinking once it's cooled, carbonated and the lemon zing has settled into the beer a bit, it should be a very refreshing beer. Not sure about the dichotomy of a refreshing summer drinker and at least 6.7% 🤪.

• Haha 1

Had my first try of this one on Saturday. Only 6 days in the bottle but I'm not very good at being patient. We'll see if it calms down with time, but at the moment this thing is bloody lemony. I may have to concede that Coopers had the right idea with only one lemon. Beyond that, there was a nice bit of saison funk and it really didn't taste like a 7% beer. I'm really crossing my fingers that the lemon mellows a bit because I think it could be very nice. My wife said she liked it as is, but she eats raw garlic by the spoonful so I'm not sure how reliable she is.

• Like 2

Alright, final update just in case anyone decides to make this recipe in the future and needs closure on this rollercoaster ride.

From about 4 weeks in the bottle the lemon has mellowed a considerable amount and this has turned into a great beer. So much so that I have to remind myself it's around 7% and to go easy. I think if I do this recipe again I'll try with only one lemon, but might also up the ferment temp a little bit to really push out the saison notes. Definitely worth a try for anyone curious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1