Coopers Community

20% Coopers Stuff

Yuley

Yep, I stocked up on some tins of Pale Ale etc. @$13.60 but alas the dry malt packs are still cheaper at uncle Dan's = $6.52, Big-W even with 20% discount = $7.20

Looks like I have delayed my move into AG by a few weeks or so 😄, only enough pocket money left now for a grain mill so might mix up a few K&K with some mini mashes.

@Journeyman I got 2 of those SS pots a while back, bloody cheap and damn handy, one for the hop boil and one for any sparge water, when I get around to AG / BIAB.

Cheers, AL

• Like 1

Excellent, there were discounted Big W gift cards a while back, not current apparently.

17 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep, I stocked up on some tins of Pale Ale etc. @$13.60 but alas the dry malt packs are still cheaper at uncle Dan's = $6.52, Big-W even with 20% discount = $7.20

I think the liquid malt from Coopers is better value.

@Marvin yes it is more cost effective to use the Coopers liquid malt but is it kg for kg recipe wise?   Or do you have to work out adjustments using its EBC, gravity etc.  Obviously you would have to throw in the whole 1.5 kg tin once opened and just have to accept the extra malt in a recipe that only calls for 1kg of LDM. 

Been think about going the liquid stuff for a while.  Does anyone know how many tins come to the carton from the Coopers Club? 6? 12? 20? as I would buy it in carton lots to get some shipping cost efficiency.

Cheers - AL

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I stocked up on similar. A couple of APAs and a Mex. 

I get LDM from the LHBS, as it is cheaper there. 

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Marvin yes it is more cost effective to use the Coopers liquid malt but is it kg for kg recipe wise?   Or do you have to work out adjustments using its EBC, gravity etc.  Obviously you would have to throw in the whole 1.5 kg tin once opened and just have to accept the extra malt in a recipe that only calls for 1kg of LDM.

I think it is 1kg dry = 1.2kg liquid.

I've heard people do store part used tins, I don't though.

I do tear the top part of the paper label off and give the tin a squirt of sanitizer before opening, that might help if storing.

I did my spend - got a couple of Real Ales and a Pale Ale. Also the 19L stockpot but not sure if I got an extra bargain or not. The pot was labelled as $20 and the lids on a shelf above had $11 but they only charged $20 for both.  Also picked up a 4L jar for making starters.

• Like 1

@Journeyman I did mess it up. The following is what Aussiekraut posted:

"The amount of dry malt needed to replace the liquid malt is about 80%, so 1.5kg liquid malt becomes 1.2kg dry malt.

If you want to replace 500g dry malt with liquid, you're looking at approx. 625g liquid malt."

**I'VE DELETED MY COMMENT WITH THE WRONGLY QUOTED NUMBERS SO NOBODY MISTAKENLY USES THEM**

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

The BigW sale is still on - apparently until 26th Feb.

My local Big W has started to run out of stock. But when the family goes back there this weekend, may get a couple more 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yuley said:

My local Big W has started to run out of stock. 

Murray Bridge is odd - the pubs insist craft beer will not sell so they will not run a tap , so of course it backs up their belief. But BigW seem to constantly have full range of Coopers cans constantly so obviously it IS selling. Drakes are a bit light on for choice and no adjuncts etc. and as previously mentioned (by me) the LHBS is priced out of my reach.  (e.g. Nott yeast - $10 pkt, 5 kg LDM $60 - at Beerbelly they are $5.50 and $41)

But the BigW specials mean I can stock up a bit on cans and save up for an Adelaide visit for all the other stuff. 😄  The LDM alone pays my petrol...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Those of you getting the 19L pot will not be disappointed - they are SO handy! You can do a nice little AG batch in them on the stove if you want

Got some paint strainer bags at Bunnings yesterday with exactly that use in mind, but I will start with partial mashes to add body to can recipes first. Chomping at the bit now to work out an Adelaide trip to get some choc malt and other stuff for a Porter... 😄 

4 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

I did find the big w pot on the stove didn’t get a great boil on our stove.

Whacked a 2200w element in it pretty cheaply.

No problem with getting to a boil anymore!

You could add an Inkbird and control the temp pretty well for mashes.

That’s exactly what I do to get to mash temp. I holds temp pretty well during the mash with an old sleeping bag wrapped around it.

If I got around to making a false bottom for I’d probably leave it on, however it heats up a bit to fast and often overshoots the mark so I’d have to keep an eye on it pretty hard.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:11 AM, iBooz2 said:

Been think about going the liquid stuff for a while.  Does anyone know how many tins come to the carton from the Coopers Club? 6? 12? 20? as I would buy it in carton lots to get some shipping cost efficiency.

There's 6 to a carton but you don't need to order in multiples of 6. I just ordered 4 along with some other goods and took advantage of the free shipping promo. It's usually offered at the time they release a new recipe of the month.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It's usually offered at the time they release a new recipe of the month.

When do they do the RotM? I've checked it every so often but haven't lucked onto the free shipping thing.

Also it says... "*Limited stock available. Offer available until stocks last. Delivery within Australia only.  Free shipping only applicable on ROTM Pack, all other items in your cart will incur shipping fees. No further discounts apply including Coopers Club."

That seems to mean I'd still be paying shipping on the LME tins.

Edited by Journeyman

6 hours ago, Journeyman said:

When do they do the RotM? I've checked it every so often but haven't lucked onto the free shipping thing.

Also it says... "*Limited stock available. Offer available until stocks last. Delivery within Australia only.  Free shipping only applicable on ROTM Pack, all other items in your cart will incur shipping fees. No further discounts apply including Coopers Club."

That seems to mean I'd still be paying shipping on the LME tins.

See @Instigator's comment above.
The last free shipping offer was for purchases over $100 and ended on 17/2/20. I didn't order any ROTM goods. I needed a new FV (about $45) and spent another $55 on liquid malt extract. So to answer your question about when, the ROTMs are offered early in the month and the free shipping is offered for about a week after this.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1