Coopers Community

Use Blender to prepare grain

Anthony999

52 minutes ago, Anthony999 said:

Newbie question, instead of using a rolling pin to crack grain could you use a clean blender for a few seconds to break it up?  I've found using a rolling pin to be quite difficult in a ziplock bag to really crack the grain.

I haven’t tried it but I have read that it’s a bad idea. You only want to crack the grain open a bit. A blender would pulverise it

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I haven’t tried it but I have read that it’s a bad idea. You only want to crack the grain open a bit. A blender would pulverise it

Yeah Ok.  Thought that might be the case.  I might use a mallet next time.  I think that would work in a ziplock bag than a rolling pin.   I don't really see the need to buy a grain mill for something done every blue moon.

47 minutes ago, Anthony999 said:

Yeah Ok.  Thought that might be the case.  I might use a mallet next time.  I think that would work in a ziplock bag than a rolling pin.   I don't really see the need to buy a grain mill for something done every blue moon.

Can you buy it pre-milled

On the back of some discussions about grain efficiency in the mash and the possibility it might be due to mill inconsistencies at the LHBS, I hauled out one of my sapre coffee grinders, stripped out the burrs and removed 2 of the 3 shims, then set it at the widest aperture for grind.

I think I have a winner - no matter what I buy and what mill setting they use, I can consistently produce what I think if a nice fine grind. I'm going by not a lot of powder produced, good consistency in grain size and, to alleviate a concern mentioned once or twice, it is EASIER on the grinder than coffee beans. The larger pieces in the ground grain seem mostly husks which I understand can help with not making dough \balls in the mash?

In the pic, 2 at the top are (left) Light Crystal & (right) Coopers Ale malt. At the bottom is post grind...

Seems to be a goer! 😄 

image.png.cf9fa8262af3d97e428cd9409f306dac.png

Looks good @Journeyman.  Barely any fine flour dust, but well broken up grains.  Just make sure that the grains have broken and you do not have solid grains left.  I have not got my grain crush right yet.  I err on the side of too much dust because when I go the other way I have too many grains that are still intact.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks good @Journeyman.  Barely any fine flour dust, but well broken up grains.  Just make sure that the grains have broken and you do not have solid grains left.  I have not got my grain crush right yet.  I err on the side of too much dust because when I go the other way I have too many grains that are still intact.

My grinder is a Sunbeam 480 conical grinder. If it had been a blade type I probably wouldn't have tried it but the conical means no whole grains can make it through.

This way I can get grain milled or not and still have a consistent final product.

• Like 1