Coopers Community

How to add hop to a coopers lager kit

Is Beer, Is Good

Hey guys,

I have some mosaic hops and am thinking of boiling 25grms and dry hoping the other 25grms. How might I go about the boiling? I am very much a begginer and thus need a lot of teaching. I have researched it however I am not sure how I should add the boiled hops without effecting the coopers recipie. Simply put, how would u add boiled hops to the lager tin?

Coopers don't specify 'recipes' on the tins, they suggest the most basic way of making the beer. If you do that with any of their kits, you'll be under whelmed.

As the tin is pre hopped, adding extra is a top up. I think 25g of mosaic is a bit big for a short boil. I'd do about 10-15g for about 10-15m . Drop them in 500g malt and 5 litres of water when the malt is on the boil. Let it cool then strain into your fermenter with the tin with another 500g dry malt. Day 5 add the rest in a sanitised chux and leave until a day or so before bottling.

• Like 1

Just realised you're using the Lager tin. Not sure Mosaic would suit that style, it's more a pale ale hop. But that kit doesn't have many fans. I don't know anyone here who's tried to tweak it with additions. I would use Hallertau instead and do 20g boil or steep. That should get some flavour into it.

Edited by Lab Rat

Ok, so I have the coopers light dry malt, I would add that to 5 liters of water, boil that and some hops for 15 min. Then add it to the fermenter with the tin  and more ldm then finish the recipe but ensure the 5 liters is taken into account? 

Also what temperature would I boil it at?

Thanks heaps for your help btw

2 minutes ago, Is Beer, Is Good said:

I was trying to Make it more of a pale ale as the yeast used is an ale yeast is it not?

Thanks for your help

Definitely.

A short boil, flame out addition and dry hop of Mosaic will improve that beer substantially.

39 minutes ago, Is Beer, Is Good said:

😄 😄 Um... 100°C??? 😄 

I've made this kind of beer a number of times, although I've used the draught and real ale tins. I tend to add the can into the boil as well - no real reason except it's a lot easier to mix hot than in the FV. The LDME goes in the boil as well. 

I'm not sure whether I'm correct in this part - haven't got around to asking the boffins yet - but my impression is we use low AA% hops for boils over about 5 or 10 mins as otherwise the bitter goes too high for most beer styles. And Higher AA% hops get used under 80° as a steep (or tea) and for dry hops.

I saw a graph that suggested >10 mins boil you lose flavour, > 5 mins you lose aroma.

I stand to be corrected but that seems to be how it is from what I've picked up so far.

1 hour ago, Is Beer, Is Good said:

Ok, so I have the coopers light dry malt, I would add that to 5 liters of water, boil that and some hops for 15 min. Then add it to the fermenter with the tin  and more ldm then finish the recipe but ensure the 5 liters is taken into account? 

Yes, that's right. Dissolve the dry malt in the water and then bring it to the boil, then add your hops and boil for 15 minutes. Take the wort off the heat and if possible, add a few blocks of ice (I freeze water in sanitised 1l food containers) to cool it off as quickly as possible, add to the FV, together with the remaining dry malt and the kit tin, then top up to the 23 litre mark with cold water. Pitch the yeast as you approach the suggested ferment temperature.

I'd suggest to boil it at boiling point 🙂 SCNR

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'd suggest to boil it at boiling point 🙂 

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

😄 😄 Um... 100°C??? 😄 

Oi, I do know what point water boils at, just was woundering if there are specific temeratures you add the hops at.🤔😄🤯

Thanks for your help guys,

Hairy, is adding hop at flameout for aroma?

Journey man, would mosaic be considered high or low aa?

Aussie kraut, what sanitiser would you suggest? 

Again thanks heaps for your help, as u can see I am full of dumb questions but we all have to start somewhere I guess😀

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Is Beer, Is Good said:

Oi, I do know what point water boils at, just was woundering if there are specific temeratures you add the hops at.🤔😄🤯

Thanks for your help guys,

Again thanks heaps for your help, as u can see I am full of dumb questions but we all have to start somewhere I guess😀

Just heat it up until you get a rolling boil going and keep it there. Most people here use Star/Stallarsan. It's a contact sanitiser, so things don't have to be soaked, just sprayed. FVs I usually put 3l solution in and shake the living bejesus out of it, then pour it into a container to keep for the next bits do do. It will foam but as they say, don't fear the foam, it's perfectly harmless and has no impact on the brew.

Mosaic is a fairly high AA hop, ranging from about 11% to 14%. It's dual use, so it is good for bittering and aroma. 

Flameout additions are mainly for aroma but will add some bitterness as long as the wort is above about 80C, albeit in small amounts.

There are a few people here who are a smart arses. All just friendly banter 🙂 This is a great place to be and you will get answers to pretty much any beer related question. The combined knowledge here is just fantastic as you will find out.

Btw, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Is Beer, Is Good said:

Here's the site I use for Hops explanations - good for finding substitutes as well as detailed explanations.  https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

Mosaic is fairly high so if wanting bittering use it late in the boil rather than a longer time. You could perhaps split a brew and try one with mosaic at (say) 30 mins and the other at 10 mins and see which you like.

I got 500 ml stellarsan (I use 3 ml in each 2L fill of my pressure spray bottle) from cheekypeakbrewery via ebay for about $12 with some other stuff - doing it that way for just a few things tends to lose the cheapness with postage. But it varies - beerbelly has starsan @ 16oz for $30 (about the same size) and I just checked CPB actual website and they have the 500 ml for $7.90.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made a beer like this a while back. I used a Woolies brand lager can as an experiment, though. Unfortunately, even at the 10 litres I made it to, the Woolies lager almost completely lacks bitterness and what there was tasted like iso. The mosaic was great in it. It smelled like mangoes. Your beer should be better with the Coopers Lager. I'll probably brew this again with a better can of goo.

This is the recipe I used.

Mosaic Era Woolly Mammoth

• 1x 1.7kg Lager can
  • 100g Shepherd's Delight grain (for colour)
  • 50g Mosaic hop pellets
  • 200g golden syrup
  • rehydrated kit yeast

- Crack and steep grain overnight. Strain and boil. At flameout add 25g Mosaic then steep a further 15minutes.

- Strain and add to FV. Add Lager extract to FV.

- Top up to 10L. Pitch yeast. Brew at 18C.

- Dry hop with remaining 25g Mosaic hops.

Worked out around 5.2%ABV in the bottle.

Hey guys thanks heaps for your help, 

Aussie kraut, that sanitiser sounds great, I'll see where I can get some. Would u suggest doing a flameout? Also, I love the banter👍😀

Hey journeyman, I'll have a look on eBay for that sanitiser, also that website will be really helpful.

Hey instigator,

Thanks for the recipe, do you think doing a boil would add more bitterness?

Thanks again  for your help guys. Massive help.

3 hours ago, Is Beer, Is Good said:

do you think doing a boil would add more bitterness?

Yep. Boiling adds bitterness. The type of hop and the length of the boil will determine how much bitterness, flavour, and aroma you get. As others mentioned, you should boil the hops in some of the malt you are using - be it from the kit extract, dry extract, or from grain steepings.

When you're getting started, it can be hard to put it all together. Think of it as a trial and error thing. Jump in and have a go. Take notes. See how it turns out. Discuss your results. Take what you learned into your next brews. 👍

• Thanks 1