Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2020

ben 10

1 hour ago, James of Bayswater said:

Collecting and sowing seeds is a much neglected part of gardening which has sadly become a victim of Bunnings syndrome.  (Don't get me started.) 

+1. My missus threw out a used glass jar once. Told her off in no uncertain terms. Seeds. Screws and nails and yeast. Never throw those things out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

nasturtiums.jpg  Nasturtiums and eggplants growing happily together.

Is this your garden, James? Your yard must be huge! Very professional looking raised beds too. Nice.
Or could this be the community garden you participate in?

The thing I like about gardeners is that they are very down to earth, and community gardeners are very community minded.

I dropped into the garden to deliver some bags of horse poo I scored down the Peninsula and there was the lovely Lexi doing the watering.    She said she would swap me two rolls of toilet paper for a bag of poo.  Done deal !  The universe doth provide...

"Where did you get it ?" I asked

"Who Gives A Crap'" she replied

" I was only asking..."

"No" she said "that is the name of the supplier - Who Gives a Crap - they are an online toilet roll supplier.  We've been with them for a while.  They deliver boxes of 48 rolls. 3 ply.  400 sheets per roll.  100% recycled and 50% of the profits go to building toilets in developing countries...."

I had to learn more... so I went to the web site and everything Lexi said was true.

Only trouble is there is a banner across the web page that reads "Holy Crap.  We have sold out of TP !"  

Oh well, I still have my Preciouses

precious.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

trombochino.jpg

These are Tromboncino, also known as zucchetta, a type of summer squash, similar to a zucchini but actually of the same family (curcubita moschata) as butternut 'pumpkins'.  They have a vining habit and will grow straight up a trellis or a piece of reo, although I found the fruit tend to weave themselves through the reo and you need to cut them to harvest.  They can grow up to a metre long and they fruit for months.  They are also very resistant to pests and powdery mildew.  They look kind of rude but they taste great (sweeter than Zucchini) and have very few seeds.  Like its butternut relative all the seeds are in the bulb end.  When fruiting they grow noticeably day by day.  Kids love them too. 

But here's the thing.  They are not well known outside the Italian community and people don't pick them in the community garden because they don't know what they are but once you try them there is no looking back.  It is a good idea to try to encourage them to grow vertically because the vine can grow to 10 metres in a well composted bed.  They are a fail safe grow with lots to recommend them and I will certainly be planting them again next year.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

trombochino.jpg

These are Tromboncino, also known as zucchetta, a type of summer squash, similar to a zucchini but actually of the same family (curcubita moschata) as butternut 'pumpkins'.  They have a vining habit and will grow straight up a trellis or a piece of reo, although I found the fruit tend to weave themselves through the reo and you need to cut them to harvest.  They can grow up to a metre long and they fruit for months.  They are also very resistant to pests and powdery mildew.  They look kind of rude but they taste great (sweeter than Zucchini) and have very few seeds.  Like its butternut relative all the seeds are in the bulb end.  When fruiting they grow noticeably day by day.  Kids love them too. 

But here's the thing.  They are not well known outside the Italian community and people don't pick them in the community garden because they don't know what they are but once you try them there is no looking back.  It is a good idea to try to encourage them to grow vertically because the vine can grow to 10 metres in a well composted bed.  They are a fail safe grow with lots to recommend them and I will certainly be planting them again next year.  

I think I saw seeds for them through Diggers last year. I should get some when I get the beds moved.

9 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

Yep.  Diggers is where I got mine.  You will only need a plant or two.  They are prolific producers over many months. 

My father in law saw them in the catalog last time he was down and was remembering eating them years ago and he hasn’t seen them for years. Keen to get some growing.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:36 PM, James of Bayswater said:

butterfly.jpg

I live in the middle of NOWHERE and these rottttten bassstards nail my Brassicans every time.... make me really very unhappy...

esp when I have to use my drinking water to keep plants alive... so have given up.... 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:57 PM, James of Bayswater said:

Yep.  Diggers is where I got mine.  You will only need a plant or two.  They are prolific producers over many months. 

Luvyerwork JoB... if I had regular rainfall or a source of water... it would be possible...  had to call it quits a couple years ago - even my Rosemary died back and lost me mint... so am trying now just with pots... rain is good.

Geez, when the Rosemary dies back you know you are in strife, BB.    Don't be surprised if the mint reappears if it ever rains.

Container gardening is an art in itself and maintaining moisture is key.  I am a big advocate of wicking beds and have translated it to containers using those polystyrene boxes they deliver the Light 'n Easy  in.  They are often left on hard rubbish piles in Melbourne and I snap them up.  They are a little flimsy at the base when full of soil/water so I always silicone a couple of cut lengths of fence paling to the base to stop the bottom falling out, punch a hole in the side where I want the over flow to be, and fill it up with potting mix and compost. 

The polywhatsit insulates the roots and if you mulch you'll lose minimal water to evaporation.  You don't even need a filler pipe, just water from the top before planting until the water begins to escape from the overflow.   It really is the best way to make the most of your water especially if you lash out on a water meter (about $10).  These things have a spike about 300mm long and will give you readings at various depths.  Often the surface of wicking beds will appear dry but the deeper you go the more moist they are.

Its easy to rig up a plastic 'tent' to fit over them and they become mini greenhouses and protected from frosts.   If the palings are applied to the bottom you can pick the box up and move it to chase the sun or get shade relief. 

And if it ever rains these boxes make excellent beer bottle storage . 

I use mine to grow tender greens kitchen herbs and spring onions but I have grown tomatoes and broccoli and strawberries in them with success too.    👨🏽‍🌾

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

and lost me mint... so am trying now just with pots... rain is good.

Vertical garden is a good option too. Drilled drainage holes in each level of this one. Water the top and it drains to each level. A 1.25 litre coke bottle of water every 2 days in summer and about every 4 or 5 in winter does it. As james says. Moisture is key. I use Water storage crystals in the soil and sugar cane mulch.

IMG-20161223-WA0014.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Love it Greeny.  Great idea for a kitchen garden when short of space - or even if not.    I made similar for a vertical strawberry garden using old spouting for the levels.  I attached each spouting length to a fence paling then hung them off a chain link fence.   It turned an ugly fence into a garden.    I have another unfinished project using a pallet and boxing off the slats.  Small footprints but multiple levels of growth.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

Love it Greeny.  Great idea for a kitchen garden when short of space - or even if not.    I made similar for a vertical strawberry garden using old spouting for the levels.  I attached each spouting length to a fence paling then hung them off a chain link fence.   It turned an ugly fence into a garden.    I have another unfinished project using a pallet and boxing off the slats.  Small footprints but multiple levels of growth.

Yeah mate. Had it going for about 4 years. Plenty for me and the missus and the missus also puts what we dont use in bags and puts it on the community facebook page and someome always takes it. 

You dont need a lot of space as you say and it sure beats paying 2 or 3 dollars a bunch at woolies when its easy as to grow yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James of Bayswater said:

Love it Greeny.  Great idea for a kitchen garden when short of space - or even if not.

So I got me garden - fenced for rabbit exclusion - been ok in the past few years if it rains (can't water plants with me drinking and brewing water) - then the roos start nailing it - drought and they have been moving in from outer west..... fence to stop the roos.... 0k - retreat to the house in pots - they then eat me parsley chives and hops - and then no water.... gotta pull out.  It has started raining but am seriously thinking i need to start killllin the roos and the rabbbbits to survive - otherwise i got no chance.

Yeah bloody roos. Was travelling through WA in the mid 2000s. Stayed at onslow a few days and did some fishing and an old bloke at the caravan park gave me 4 or 5 cos lettuces he was growing hydroponically. They were a touch small so planned on letting them grow a few more days. Drove to Tom Price to check out the national park and the first night im there camping i leave the lettuces outside my tent. Awoken about 2am to hear this crunch crunch crunch. What the hell is that. Crawl out of my sleeping bag and unzip the tent and pop my head out to go face to face with the biggest red roo i have seen. Promptly rezipped the tent and back into my bag. Listened to him chomping on it for 2 or 3 mins before he took off. 

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah bloody roos. Was travelling through WA in the mid 2000s. Stayed at onslow a few days and did some fishing and an old bloke at the caravan park gave me 4 or 5 cos lettuces he was growing hydroponically. They were a touch small so planned on letting them grow a few more days. Drove to Tom Price to check out the national park and the first night im there camping i leave the lettuces outside my tent. Awoken about 2am to hear this crunch crunch crunch. What the hell is that. Crawl out of my sleeping bag and unzip the tent and pop my head out to go face to face with the biggest red roo i have seen. Promptly rezipped the tent and back into my bag. Listened to him chomping on it for 2 or 3 mins before he took off. 

Great bit of history there Greeny!  Need to be able to do both 😪 and 🤣 at same time but there's only space for one choice...

Rotten bassstard but guess you got to see a big Red close up tho hey?!  😝

Was camping in the Carnarvons a few years ago and the baaassstards unpacked a cardboard box and were eating the bread out the bread-bag and I had to beat them off with a stick.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:24 PM, James of Bayswater said:

Captain,  

I have admired the photos of your garlic before and I am keen to plant some myself this year.  

I have a few questions though :

- the folksy thing is that you hold off planting garlic until the Equinox for a late spring early summer harvest.  You've gone a month early.  Where are you located (I am in Melbourne) ?  
Do you recommend planting early ?

- Any tips for prepping the ground ?  I have heard that you shouldn't over feed alliums. 

- Do you plant the garlic out on its own ?  Any recommendations for companion planting ?

- You have five different varieties.  Where do you source the bulbs ? 

Hi James,

Don't wait for June, We (Tassie) go early with planting Garlic. Late March (now) is excellent. Wait for Autumn rain and earth is still warm for best results.

Usual dig it up, usual process and let it pack down (nature does this) over time (winter rains etc) to get tight bulbs. Need chill which is not an issue for Vic. Never feed, just don't plant in same patch for 4 years is my rule.

Companion planting I have never tried, never had an issue with pests etc.

Five varieties is impressive. Think the @The Captain!! is showing off and I am green as. 🙂

Best place to source bulbs is Farmers Markets. Get a chance to look at the result, talk to the grower. Most Supermarket stuff is zapped and therefore sterile so resist the temptation to buy this rubbish.

Hope this stuff Helps??

Hey @The Captain!! what varieties are you growing??

Cheers Stephen

Green Thumbs,

This self isolation is very good for gardening. Had some good rains so the dirt is black gold and still warm presently.

Have prepared two garden beds so far and sown a variety of stuff from Cabbage, Kale, Kohl Rabi, Radish, Beetroot & Silverbeet.

Hopefully the stuff leaps out of the ground before I starve or get scurvy.

Pics to follow when I have more than to dirt to show off!!

Cheers YB

• Like 1

Thanks Cap,

Do you have a preference or they have different uses? Or case of you enjoy having a range?

I am relatively simple and stick with the Purple Hardneck. Save the better bulbs for next years crop.

James I noticed the Lost Seed Company has a good range of garlic cloves if you prefer to mail order for obvious reasons. However you better be quick as this stuff is going fast!!

Cheers Stephen