Coopers Community

Pacific summer ale

Hey brewers!

Just a quick question, I'm looking at giving the Pacific summer ale recipe a go but my lhbs was out of stock of summer hops so I decided to get some Saaz hops. Has anyone used these hops for this recipe? Or can anyone see any issues with using them?

It's only my 2nd brew (the first was a stone pale ale kit from craft a beer) so I'm extremely new to all this haha.

Thanks for any help or advice and happy brewing!

35 minutes ago, Milkandcookies420 said:

Hey brewers!

Just a quick question, I'm looking at giving the Pacific summer ale recipe a go but my lhbs was out of stock of summer hops so I decided to get some Saaz hops. Has anyone used these hops for this recipe? Or can anyone see any issues with using them?

It's only my 2nd brew (the first was a stone pale ale kit from craft a beer) so I'm extremely new to all this haha.

Excellent choice of beer 🙂 I really like the Pacific Summer ale. 

Summer hops are a little hard to come by. They are a descendent of Saaz and it is often said to be a suitable substitute but it lacks the fruity characteristics of Summer. I only know of one home brew store here in Brisbane which stocks Summer hops and usually buy them online as I use them in my AG Summer Ale as well. CraftBrewer sells them online, so maybe you want to check them out. 

Thanks for the replies! I think I will try ordering some summer hops online just so I'm not playing with the recipe just yet. Luckily I still have the lager that came with my kit so I'll get that going while I wait 😂

I'm very pleased to hear some good reviews about this beer too! It makes me feel as though I'm making a good choice haha

I've also tried ordering summer hops couple of weeks ago and they appear out in the few stores that have them (I tried Cheeky Peak).

Not sure there is an apt substitute, maybe try finding something that is complimentary to a pacific ale style, like the aforementioned galaxy, citra or mosaic?

Edited by rodge
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Excellent choice of beer 🙂 I really like the Pacific Summer ale. 

Summer hops are a little hard to come by. They are a descendent of Saaz and it is often said to be a suitable substitute but it lacks the fruity characteristics of Summer. I only know of one home brew store here in Brisbane which stocks Summer hops and usually buy them online as I use them in my AG Summer Ale as well. CraftBrewer sells them online, so maybe you want to check them out. 

Hi there M&C, I ordered some Summer hops from CraftBrewer as recommend by AussieKraut and they shipped very quickly (ordered on Sat had them on Wed to Melbourne) so very happy with that service considering there was a public holiday in between.  Going to mix up my batch of Pacific Summer Ale this afternoon and put it in the new fermzilla. hopefully it will be a ripper brew and looking forward to a few pints of this.  I asked four lHBS about a sub for summer hops and got 4 different suggestions so before you muck around too much, get some summer for first brew then you will have a benchmark to try out subs/other hops and then you can compare.  That's what I intend to do.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

I assume you already have the galaxy hops as part of the recipe. On the off chance you want my opinion as someone you don't know from John the Baptist, I'd say you are better off making the beer with what you have, and then making it again when the summer hops arrive, as opposed to waiting and only making it then. Saaz will not ruin the beer in the slightest.

Here is how I went about my recent batch of this beer.

With my fermzilla cleaned, pressure tested then sanitised along with all other equipment including a 20 litre SS pot.  Put 3 litres of filtered room temp water into the pot then poured the 500g pack of LDM in and swirled the pot around until LDM dissolved (about 2”).  Brought the pot contents to the boil.

While waiting put 3 litres filtered room temp water into Fermzilla (bottom butterfly valve closed but with capture pot installed) and added the second 500g pack of LDM and swirled around to dissolve. 

When pot water boiling added 13g Summer hop pellets (digital scale has 1g steps) and set timer for 15”.  Had the pot lid off and stirred every now and then.  Maybe should have kept lid on to keep in the flavour and reduce evaporation, YES/NO?

Once the 15” were up put another 12g Summer hop pellets in and reset timer for 10” but this time kept pot lid on during boil, good idea, YES/NO?

While second lot of hops boiling added contents of Coopers Australian Pale Ale to Fermzilla and mixed well, being careful not to scratch the inside of the Fermzilla with mixing spoon.

Once the 10” boil was finished, flame out and put a 5 litre block of ice into the pot to cool it down (I have a sanitised 5 litre bucket with sealing lid nearly full of filtered tap water in the freezer just for this purpose). Once ice melted and pot cooled down then put the contents into the Fermzilla via SS sieve and muslin cloth (both sanitised) as I thought too much of the hop pellet mush would just go straight through the sieve, good idea YES/NO? 

The muslin cloth blocked up pretty quickly with the mush so it was encouraged through with the spoon and was little bit time consuming.  Once all the liquid was out of the muslin cloth, just grabbed the corners of it and wrung out the last of the flavour and moisture into the Fermzilla, discarded the crud, good idea, YES/NO?

Added filtered room temp water to bring it up to the 23 litre mark.  Tested temp with digital gauge and it was 24C so put the lid on Fermzilla and placed it in the second FV fridge I have.  Set controller to 18C and waited for about ¾ hour until it hit 21C.  NOTE TO SELF: get 2 x 5 litres ice ready next batch.  After another good stir, pitched both the Pale Ale kit yeast and the 11g of Lallemand Windsor Ale yeast. (Using sanitised hands scissors of course).

Fermzilla lid on after opening lower butterfly valve to capture pot, then fitted a sanitised burping tube into a jar of sanitiser.  Going to remove this and fit blow-tie spunding valve and pressure ferment this batch a bit later on (after day 4 dry hop of 25g Galaxy is done).  

Temp control left at 18C overnight then upped to 19C in the morning. Pic of the results at 24hrs in.  OG was 1.035 @20C.

Sorry M&C if I am hijacking your thread but thought it better we can keep it under one heading and bounce ideas around.  Also sorry for long post, just want to know if procedure is OK!

Cheers - AL

Pacific Summer Ale Day1.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:39 PM, Milkandcookies420 said:

Hey brewers!

I put down a Pacific Summer Ale with Saaz last night. Will let you know how it turns out. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, australian pale ale said:

I have been told  about 8 months ago ,that summer hops  is going to be discontinued , so it will be hard to find ,  I to did like pacific summer ale ,,, so good luck finding it in Australia,, at a reasonable price,,  good luck  -----ps I cant find any  with out  a hefty delivery  price    cheers

$42.50 incuding posatge for 500g from Cheeky peak brewer.  That is reasonable at $4.25 for 50g

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

$42.50 incuding posatge for 500g from Cheeky peak brewer.  That is reasonable at $4.25 for 50g

That is good value Marty, have sent them an email as I could not find the Summer in their on-line store. a search brings up there shopping list but still not there.

The batch I put down on Friday evening has already reached 1.012 @18C and at no pressure so dry hopped it with 25g Galaxy this morning. just dropped the pellets in via the gas port on the top this time, re-fitted port, gave FV a very little swirl then pressurized it to 5 psi to finish off.

Its lost that bread smell and is starting to smell terrific.  Goes to show what a heap of yeast can do (7g kit & 11g Windsor Ale)

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
typo

31 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

That is good value Marty, have sent them an email as I could not find the Summer in their on-line store. a search brings up there shopping list but still not there.

I use ebay for hops....get more diversity of vendors.. Cheaky peak have an E-bay shop and it is there just search summer hop it will come up in the items listed. 

14 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I use ebay for hops....get more diversity of vendors.. Cheaky peak have an E-bay shop and it is there just search summer hop it will come up in the items listed. 

Your "THE MAN" Marty, THE MAN!  You have opened my eyes and brain up a bit.  Have purchased lots of brewing equipment off ebay but did not think about doing if for hops. Maybe the thought of frozen/fresh put a mental block on it - dunno.  Just found some very local so can pick up.

Cheers AL

Sorry guys, NO Summer hops available at Cheeky Peak but I now have enough for several batches anyway so all good here. 

Had a sneak taste of my Pacific Summer Ale, its only brew day +4 but SG is nearing its landing so put a small glass into the fridge to settle and chill a bit.  Smell and taste is fantastic.  Cannot wait to get this one into a keg but gotta wait for FG and a cold crash first.  Looks like its going to finish up around an ABV of only 3.5% so think I will bulk prime this one to bump it up slightly.

Cheers - AL

Thanks Ben 10,  will keep this mob in mind but I have about 1kg on hand here and also Galaxy so plenty for now.

Be a bugga if I don't like the end product of my brews of this recipe hey!

My Pacific Summer Ale batch is almost done, down to 1.010 today, bumped it up to 19C now and still holding it at 5 psi so will see tomorrow if I can start a CC.

Cheers - AL

My Pacific Summer Ale has now completed 5 days of CC and cleared up beautifully.  No need for any gelatin etc. so this batch is Ala natural.

It will be my first try at kegging and seeing this batch has come in at an ABV of 3.28% (by my calculations), would like to to bump that up just a little and also naturally carbonate the keg.

Question is how much dextrose or other sugar/malt should I add to the keg before doing a closed transfer from the FV?

Hoping to keg it in the next day or so, then I can get another batch cooking.

Cheers - AL

Pacific Summer Ale after 5 days CC.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that this Pacific Summer Ale recipe turned out very nice indeed.  Simple to make and of the style of beer I like, so very happy with this one.  Only been in the keg a few days and then carbonated with gas (no secondary) and cannot stop drinking it. And it's relative low ABV so you can get stuck into a few.  Will be making another batch as soon as a FV becomes free.

Have you tried yours yet @Olemate with your hops variation?

On 2/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Olemate said:

I couldn't get Summer hops either, but I had Calypso so gave that a go. Certainly smells summery. In the FV as we speak. Cheers

Cheers - AL