Coopers Community

Using old hops

karlos_1984

I bought a 500g of Galaxy Hops last year some time (2018 harvest). I've got about 80 g left. They still smell ok and have always been stored in the fridge in their original bag with a food saver clip, then inside a ziplock bag rolled up to get the air out, with a couple elastic bands around it. Will these still be alright to use? Would rather not waste them. 

4 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I bought a 500g of Galaxy Hops last year some time (2018 harvest). I've got about 80 g left. They still smell ok and have always been stored in the fridge in their original bag with a food saver clip, then inside a ziplock bag rolled up to get the air out, with a couple elastic bands around it. Will these still be alright to use? Would rather not waste them. 

If they smell fine, use them. At worst the aroma/flavour will not be quite a strong as you expect.

I'm a big truster of the nose... 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I suppose I depends on what you were going to use them for?  Dry hopping bittering, flavour and Aroma? 

Both. Just a quick n easy small batch on the stove using DME and some steeped crystal. 

Just a short 10 min boil and FO addition of say 10g each and the rest for a dry hop to get rid of it. (8 odd ltrs into FV).

I've done a few small batches like this to use up bits n pieces leftover from bigger batches and they've all been pretty nice given the lack of effort that goes into them. 

• Like 1