Coopers Community

To hell with trying to make basic stout, I'm going to make a complicated one!

King Ruddager

I was gonna throw the toucan together this weekend but with the two stout cans rather than stout and dark ale 

my first AG stout which was an oatmeal one didn’t turn out the best cos i decided to dry hop with desiccated coconut which ruined it as has stripped any head it may have and not left a great final taste 

I should walk before I run 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Joe white signature ale malt as a base

flaked barley

Oats

Midnight wheat. 

You are 8 grains short of a dozen grain wunder-stout.

Perhaps you could use three times the quantity of each.

I wouldn’t say this is too complex but I did this a while ago.

11L batch

2kg ale malt

.25 choc malt

.22 roasted barley

.20 oats

.1 dark crystal

i was intending on throwing a vanilla bean in there at some point but the bastard stalled and I decided to cut my loses and free up fermentor space so I chucked it. The sample tasted really good though. Going to whip it up in a couple of weeks again with a diffo yeast. 

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Chocolate Achromatic Stout Recipe

Jeebus, it's 9.5kg of grain in a 19L batch! That's about equal to the most grain I've ever used in a 27L batch!

Also, I've just realised that IanH's spreadsheet only allows for 8 kinds of malt, so that's what it will be!

11 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Jeebus, it's 9.5kg of grain in a 19L batch! That's about equal to the most grain I've ever used in a 27L batch!

Also, I've just realised that IanH's spreadsheet only allows for 8 kinds of malt, so that's what it will be!

You could always scale it back. Just keep the key components at levels where their influences still impact. Mainly drop back the base malt level.

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Perhaps what I'll do is include chocolate, coffee, oats and vanilla, and call it an "Everything Stout"

Why not " everybody stout now " ? 

As for going OTT with extra types of malt why not just add things for a reason?  

Just because i COULD run naked through Hindley st means that I SHOULD  but Defs bitter with magnum 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2