Coopers Community

New member, hi....and question on my tzars tar

Mfc

Hi all, 

for my brewing resurrection I’ve put down a can and grain stout witch is coming along nicely after 8 days. Lovely head on pour butflattens out a tad fast

now to my query’s on tzars tar...I have one in the fv at 8 days[exact to recipe] unfortunately I’ve been unable to brew it below 17c[ thermometer in vessel not stick on]  its sat in a water bath for that time so bugger all variation.....I’m questioning my og fg readings or hydrometer my og was 1.072 at 18c . Rg been at 1.014 for 2 days ..using an on line calc I get an abv of around 7.6% dose this seem a bit low[will pick up some with bottle conditioning I guess ]

how long do you think I should leave it sit in fv before bottling assuming fog doesn’t drop more? [its in the bath so some minor inconvenience lol] or am I better getting it into bottles and leave it to age longer in them?

regards mark

hmmmmm Caribbean porter  or ris? 

Yeah thats low if you did it exactly per the recipe. Did you mix it well before you took the reading? If you dont you will often get a bad reading for the OG. If you did it as per recipe i would be expecting it would come out as the coopers recipe says. Closer to 9.5% ABV. 

Id take another reading tomorrow and if it is still at 1014 id bottle it and let it mature. High ABV brews like that need time in the bottle.

The FG is in the rage it is supposed to be, so the OG reading must have been off or like Greeny suggested, the wort was not mixed through properly. Either way, give it all up 2 weeks in the FV to settle, then bottle. You'll pick up another .5% during bottle conditioning.

Yep that’s what I’m thinking re og...between me misreading it[the more I take sg’s the longer it takes me to read them] and it’s quite possible that it wasn’t originaly mixed thoroughly , although I did it at 4 am so I could have easily read 1.080 as 1.070..

sit it will gentlemen thanks

1 hour ago, Mfc said:

Hi all, 

for my brewing resurrection I’ve put down a can and grain stout witch is coming along nicely after 8 days. Lovely head on pour butflattens out a tad fast

I've noticed this - it seems to be the beer needs more time in the bottle. Brews that I originally found with disappearing head after a week or so are now, after more than a month, heading up nicely all the way down - not quite Guinness lacing on the glass but noticeable.

100% that baby was not mixed thoroughly. Mixing 3 cans of extract is a though job.  Unless it is done on a stove in +50water in say 4 or 5 litres of water and all the extract is dissolved before putting into fermenter. Then adding the rest of the water and thoroughly mixing it again. There is now you will not get that baby mixed so the OG will 100% be out. Luckily the yeast dont care they will gobble up all that sugary goodness and pump out ethanol no problem. So if the FG is in the range is should be take it as a given that it will be in the 9% range after secondary fermetation.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I've noticed this - it seems to be the beer needs more time in the bottle. Brews that I originally found with disappearing head after a week or so are now, after more than a month, heading up nicely all the way down - not quite Guinness lacing on the glass but noticeable.

Yep it’s lacing a fair bit and initial head is lovely ....it was a bit rude of me to try it this early lol

• Like 1

+1 for using the Ian H xl spreadsheet.

Now I am back doing extract brews I don’t bother taking an OG , because they usually all over the place.

They spreadsheet is a lot more reliable in my experience.

Always take SG samples for my FG though.

Cheers

James