Coopers Community

burnt flavor in beer

watermelon

Howdy!

I brewed the 'Mr beer Long Play IPA' as per the instructions and have found the beer is very dark and has a burnt taste to it.

Previously i brewed the 'Mr beer bewitched amber ale'. this was not as dark in appearance and had less dark flavors than the Long play IPA and also didn't taste burnt.

i am using the coopers DIY craft brew kit.

Does anyone have any idea where the burnt flavor could have come from?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/coopers-diy-beer-craft-brew-kit.html

https://www.diybeer.com/au/mr-beer-long-play-ipa.html

https://www.diybeer.com/au/mr-beer-bewitched-amber-ale.html

22 minutes ago, watermelon said:

Does anyone have any idea where the burnt flavor could have come from?

Interesting.  Based on the EBC's for the can, The Long Play (130 EBC) should not be darker than the Bewitched (340 EBC).  However, the Long Play (420 IBU) is more bitter than the Bewitched (295 IBU).  The higher bitterness might come across as slightly burnt.

I found that the Brew A IPA Thomas Coopers can had a bit of a burnt flavour too.  Maybe they both have a dash of some dark roasted malts in their make up.  Coopers does not publish the malt ingredients in its cans, so we will not know for sure.

Calling them IPA's is a bit misleading.  I think Coopers make them pretty tame so they are more appealing to a broader range of folks.  Although the burnt flavour is not too appealing.

It’s hard to address what went wrong in your beer without addressing what your palate things ‘burnt’ tastes like. 
is the beer perhaps a bit too dark for your tastes. Certain malts lend themselves to darker flavours but when you say burnt , I think of burnt toast or carbon flavours.  Which isn’t nice.  But if your sanitation was ok as well as your procedures, it’s maybe that specific brew doesn’t meet your palate and you should try something lighter 

I remember an English Bitter I did last year with 500g LDM and 500 dark. I hated it, it had a bitter burnt coffee taste. Months later it was drinkable, but I won't do it again. The IPA in this kit may have dark malts in it, which some just don't like, I don't think they suit these kinds of beers. They probably work better in dark beers, which usually need more cellaring anyway.

9 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

I remember an English Bitter I did last year with 500g LDM and 500 dark. I hated it,

Yes, had similar instance way back in the the genesis of my brewing new testament.  I did a Dark Ale Kit with 1kg of Dark Dry Malt.  It was close to the worst beer I have made. I still have bottles of it more than 2 years on. I use them as a marinade for slow cooked beef ribs.   My guess is the burnt flavour comes from the roasting of the barley they used to make the wort.  So rather than a burnt taste it is a strong hint of roast grains. which makes sense. 

Was the can in date?

I brewed a lager or pilsner once that someone gave me. It was six months out of date.
It came  out really dark and tasted horrible. I can't really remember if it was a burnt flavour though.

I would never brew with out of date stuff again.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1

You might be right with just a very strong hint of roasted grains. it just seems odd to be darker than the amber ale kit!

it tastes like an extreme version of the amber ale, which doesnt make sense for an IPA kit. 😕

from memory, the can was in date but i no longer have it to double check.

none the less, it sounds like i havent made a mistake in my brewing, which was my main concern.

Im happy to not use this specifc can of LME again, im a new brewer and just wanted to ensure i was on the right track 🙂

Many thanks to everyone for their input!!!

• Like 1