Coopers Community

Rice Lager

Here is my recipe for a hoppy rice lager. I am going to use boiled rice instead of flaked rice but boiled rice isn’t in Brewfather. Would 1 kilo of boiled rice give the same return as 1 kilo of flaked rice??

I think I should also add some rice hulls to the mash. 

I might also change the hop schedule around and move more hops towards the start of the boil  

Any tips would be much appreciated!!

Cheers, Beer Baron

63766B39-6BF9-46DE-B5CB-A18714904CCD.png

270BCD2E-A697-46F4-8437-82682F5D27BB.png

• Like 2

I notice your going down the true lager path. My last K&K beer i did before starting AG brewing was a something similar using rice syrup but I made it as a psuedo lager using Nottingham at 15O. Worked a treat. Just thought I would throw that out there for you.  Be interesting in how it works out. You planning on boiling the rice the night before? I love as good rice beer.  And the hops not familiar with those i imagine they are a Japanese hop? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I notice your going down the true lager path. My last K&K beer i did before starting AG brewing was a something similar using rice syrup but I made it as a psuedo lager using Nottingham at 15O. Worked a treat. Just thought I would throw that out there for you.  Be interesting in how it works out. You planning on boiling the rice the night before? I love as good rice beer.  And the hops not familiar with those i imagine they are a Japanese hop? 

Whenever I do a lager I always do it the ‘proper’ lager way. I’ll boil the rice about 1 hour before mash in so it stays warm and doesn’t drop the mash temp too much. 

Here’s some info on Sorachi Ace hops. 

This Japanese hop was created from a mix of Brewer’s Gold, a Saazer parent, and Beiki male by Sapporo Brewers. Released in 1984, this hop is a cornerstone of the world famous Sapporo Lager. With an alpha acid range of about 10% to 16%, this high alpha is predominantly used for its sharp bittering agent. Sorachi Ace also adds a uniquely fresh aroma of lemon, citrus, dill and cilantro to everything from IPAs and Pale Ales to Lagers. Sorachi Ace pellet or whole hops compliment Citra and Simcoe, and could be substituted with those varietals. If you’re looking for a taste of Sorachi Ace, just head to your nearest sushi bar and grab a bottle of Sapporo!

18 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Here is my recipe for a hoppy rice lager. I am going to use boiled rice instead of flaked rice but boiled rice isn’t in Brewfather. Would 1 kilo of boiled rice give the same return as 1 kilo of flaked rice??

I think I should also add some rice hulls to the mash. 

I am tempted to say, "Rice one Granny" but I will refrain... 😄

Looks nice BB. Only used flaked rice once and from memory not as good extract efficiency as doing a cereal mash. You will find rice you will get 90-95 extract efficiency as opposed to pilsener malt of around 80. So dont be surprised if you smash your expected OG.

Most asian lagers dont have dry hops but dont mean you cant. Will make it more hoppy than a traditional one but rules are meant to be broken. I throw 100gm of melanoidan in mine to give a little maltiness but thats just my tastes. I recommend a 90 min mash and boil as well. Will help with the extract efficiency and clarity.

• Like 2

Hey BB, 

Ive recently done a rice lager with sorachi. I did 10g @60 and  20g at 20mins and 10g at FO. 
I’m no expert but my taste buds tell me I Over  I did it on the late additions. It’s nice and I’m happy but the hop and it’s particular character takes over the malty finish which I find you get a bit more of from jap lagers.  I’ll be brewing my version again but with a 15g @ 20 and that’s it apart from bittering. 

Hope the brew goes well. 

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1