Coopers Community

Wort to prime?

Aeroboy86

Hi homies šŸ™‚

just wondering if anyone has tried using wort to prime in bottles rather then adding sugar? By that I mean before pitching yeast you keep some of the wort aside in a sanitised container then when fermentation is complete use this wort to bulk prime in bottles. Is this a thing and if so how much would you need to keep aside for a 20ltr batch? Thanks in advance

Theoretically it would work but you would need to know the sugar content of the wort to work out a volumeĀ and also and this is the biggy, it is not infected.Ā  Worts that sit around are a huge infection danger.Ā  But the concept is sound but in practice i am not sure about it when putting sugar in is so easy to do.Ā 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Coopers lollies are $2.50. Ā Just buy them mateĀ 

Not worried about the cost. I was more interested in whether it would be beneficial as to not change the flavour profile as it is primed from the same fermentable source.

12 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Theoretically it would work but you would need to know the sugar content of the wort to work out a volumeĀ and also and this is the biggy, it is not infected.Ā  Worts that sit around are a huge infection danger.Ā  But the concept is sound but in practice i am not sure about it when putting sugar in is so easy to do.Ā 

Cheers mate. Yeah sanitation obviously would need to be spot on. Really just interested to see if it would be beneficial from a flavour point of view

12 minutes ago, Aeroboy86 said:

Not worried about the cost. I was more interested in whether it would be beneficial as to not change the flavour profile as it is primed from the same fermentable source.

Lolllies donā€™t leave any residual flavour. They are fully fermented outĀ 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Aeroboy86 said:

Cheers mate. Yeah sanitation obviously would need to be spot on. Really just interested to see if it would be beneficial from a flavour point of view

Well the glucose/table sugarĀ  adds no flavour as it is 100% fermentable.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeroboy86 said:

Hi homies šŸ™‚

just wondering if anyone has tried using wort to prime in bottles rather then adding sugar? By that I mean before pitching yeast you keep some of the wort aside in a sanitised container then when fermentation is complete use this wort to bulk prime in bottles. Is this a thing and if so how much would you need to keep aside for a 20ltr batch? Thanks in advance

I really think you will be struggling regards sterile transfer mate.Ā Ā Ā  If you are concerned about not wanting to use sugar/dex - you could use Dry Malt Extact.Ā  Problem is - getting that powdery fluff into a sterile bottle without dusting everything around you is a challenge.Ā  That is why Coops came up with the drops.Ā 

But I would say this - if you are committed in trying out liq malt addition - well let us know how it goes?!

Always good to see new and different ways of doing things!

Ā 

Itā€™s called krausening. Iā€™ve looked it up before and thought about doing it myself but never could be bothered. Apparently it brings on heaps more flavour and if itā€™s hopped wort it will bring out heaps of hop flavours.Ā 
Iā€™ve often thought if I put some of my wort into a sanitised keg and flush out all the oxygen and leave till the brew is ready would the wort still be ā€œfreshā€ and not infected. Been to scared to try it

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cosmo2450 said:

Itā€™s called krausening. Iā€™ve looked it up before and thought about doing it myself but never could be bothered. Apparently it brings on heaps more flavour and if itā€™s hopped wort it will bring out heaps of hop flavours.Ā 
Iā€™ve often thought if I put some of my wort into a sanitised keg and flush out all the oxygen and leave till the brew is ready would the wort still be ā€œfreshā€ and not infected. Been to scared to try it

Yeah am not sure Cosmo... I guess that I brew my AG Wort and am happy with it... then add late hops if I want... so cannot really see any advantage in adding further liquid fermentables... dunno how that would add flavour - when you've done a pretty good job already in the FV?

I am naturally carbing in kegs at the moment - will be interested to see how that goes - but that seems to be common practice.

Are you thinking of using your kegs as a storage unit i.e. somewhat like the cubes?Ā  I reckon if you prepped the keg with star-san... gassed it with C02... and then added fresh hot wort... and then chilled it that it would keep quite well.Ā  But if wild yeasts from the air, or off you, or yeast remnant in the keg got in there it would start to ferment.

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah am not sure Cosmo... I guess that I brew my AG Wort and am happy with it... then add late hops if I want... so cannot really see any advantage in adding further liquid fermentables... dunno how that would add flavour - when you've done a pretty good job already in the FV?

I am naturally carbing in kegs at the moment - will be interested to see how that goes - but that seems to be common practice.

Are you thinking of using your kegs as a storage unit i.e. somewhat like the cubes?Ā  I reckon if you prepped the keg with star-san... gassed it with C02... and then added fresh hot wort... and then chilled it that it would keep quite well.Ā  But if wild yeasts from the air, or off you, or yeast remnant in the keg got in there it would start to ferment.

Honestly Iā€™m with you in regards to what I do and the quality of the end product hence why Iā€™ve never been bothered with testing this. Maybe one day but meh.Ā 

• Like 1