Coopers Community

2x Bootmakers kits. 1. Start: bootmakers --> End: LCPA. 2. Bootmakers -> Panhead XPA

alilley

Treated myself while in Aus to two bootmakers kits. I figured they would be an excellent base to head towards both a Creatures and Panhead's XPA, which were also given by myself to myself and was very happy with.

For the creatures, I'm planning to mostly follow the chubby cherub recipe, but leave the malt to 1kg light DME. As for hops, it comes with cascade but doesn't seem particularly strong, so maybe give it another 10-15g, and the chinook.

As for the XPA, I... really don't know. Apparently there was a kit clone of this that had a hop mix of galaxy, citra and mosiac, but the creator kept that to himself for obvious reasons.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you using the Bootmakers as a replacement for one of the un hopped malt tins in the Chubby recipe? if so, I'd suggest replacing the light malt tin.

I don't know whether that would get close to LC, but it would certainly be a nicer beer than the straight CC recipe. I was really disappointed with that one, it was so far off Coopers description. It's just a really bland amber ale. There is nowhere near enough hop when using two unhopped tins as your base.

XPA clones probably need lemondrop hops. Try Coopers own recipe, but it will probably be good with the Bootmakers for the base Coopers XPA

42 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Are you using the Bootmakers as a replacement for one of the un hopped malt tins in the Chubby recipe? if so, I'd suggest replacing the light malt tin.

Yes. As a base kit, I suspect it's fairly close malt wise to the LC already, so I was going to drop the amber.  I would not consider LC an amber ale. Sweetish, but not amber level of crystal/darker malt.

45 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

XPA clones probably need lemondrop hops. Try Coopers own recipe, but it will probably be good with the Bootmakers for the base Coopers XPA

Had some coopers XPA. Didn't go down as well as the panhead. I mean, it wasn't bad, but...