Jump to content
Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2020


disgruntled
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The key is to make sure all of the hop matter comes in contact with the brew wort/beer. If you feel you need to weigh your hop package down to achieve this, then sure feel free to do so.

I have not found the need, but do make sure to dunk my chux cloth encased hop package a number of times up & down in the beer when I first add my dry hops to make sure the entire package is soaked & has absorbed enough liquid to hold it just under the surface atop the wort/beer level in the FV.

Hops absorb a very high amount of liquid proportionally to base weight so it is important that when you remove them that you squeeze that very potent & highly aromatic liquid housed in your hop package back into your beer before bottling/kegging to gain the most from the hops you have added in this way.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty. I usually just give them a bit of a dunking but I'll have a closer look at the two lots I put in my Pacific Ale last night and make sure they're fully submerged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cassius said:

Cheers Lusty. I usually just give them a bit of a dunking but I'll have a closer look at the two lots I put in my Pacific Ale last night and make sure they're fully submerged.

When you remove the dry hops, unwrap them & have a look at the internal most point of the hop matter. If wrapped too tightly the centre of the hop mass may not ever touch liquid & will be visually dry to look at & touch.

As long as hops have plenty of room to expand as they draw in liquid, you'll be fine. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Fridge turned itself into a heater,  literally hot to the touch and smelled cheesy. 

Bin it,  mostly old stock anyway 

Hey Pirate, have you ever heard among your circles of anyone suggesting infections being possible as a result of using "cheesy" hops through the boil manifesting into the final beer?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I primed with salt instead of sugar. 

 

 

Someone topped up the unlabelled sugar jar with salt. We don't add sugar to stuff usually so I hadn't noticed. 

I opened some kombucha I made a couple of weeks ago and it tasted salty. Undrinkabley salty. I couldn't figure it out. Penny dropped. It tasted just like my MOTB beer I made that I thought I'd added too much gypsum to. I used sugar instead of carb drops for that one as well. At least this was just a small batch of kombucha.

Problem solved. Fail thread added to. Maybe I win?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm guessing the cheesy aroma came about after the fridge died and the hops warmed up...

Correct,  even nitrogen flushed sealed bags can oxidise at higher temps and become cheesy. 

Since it's just a guess what portion of the AA are still in the pellets/ flowers I just cop it in the wallet and bin them. 

@Beerlust

Never heard of an infection from hops,  mould yes but hop acids are pretty well antimicrobial 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mark D Pirate said:

 

Few kilos of hops straight in the bin 

So do you buy hops buy the kilo if so where do you get them? Asking as now that I am AG brewing need to bring down the cost of my hop bill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottled and capped 30 bottles of Nelson Sauvin summer ale today, then realised forgot to prime the bottles, as if one capping is enough without doing it twice!!

bring on the kegs!

Edited by John304
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John304 said:

Bottled and capped 30 bottles of Nelson Sauvin summer ale today, then realised forgot to prime the bottles, as if one capping is enough without doing it twice!!

bring on the kegs!

Aaaah but at least your remembered now Popeye Johnno!  ; )

Your double capping job will fade to nothing when you crack your first tasty brew!!!

Had you cracked it without the any primer you woulda been a tad sadder I reckon cobber!

Well spotted I say on Aussie Day!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So do you buy hops buy the kilo if so where do you get them? Asking as now that I am AG brewing need to bring down the cost of my hop bill. 

Having friends with wholesaler accounts is wonderful , try your LHBS on bulk pricing or team up with a few friends and talk to Bintani or HPA but be aware many varieties are in 5 kg foils so it can get expensive in a hurry 

Yakima is pretty good too, 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about a leaking tap 😞 

I knew something was wrong but ignored the warning sign. The tap is a bit of a bastard and only seals when the spout faces upwards, which is ok until you want to take a sample or do something outrageous like bottle. So I simply added a second seal ring and all was good. Until the weekend, when I cleaned the FV and put the tap back on. One of the seals "flipped" and kinda got pushed off the tap, over the other one. I fixed it up, all looked good but the tap was hard to seal. I finally got there with the spout facing down, so in the wort went. When I had a look yesterday, I was greeted with a little puddle in front of the fridge and a bigger one inside. can't tighten the tap any further. took measures to prevent the mess but that doesn't solve the leaking tap. Let's hope in 2 weeks, there is still anything left in the FV worth bottling. 😠

I don't like those screw in taps because they never seem to line up properly and when sealed, the spouts never seem to face down. I have two of those and both with the same issue. incidentally, also in a different FV, so there is some sort of a conspiracy, I'm sure 🙂 I prefer the Coopers FVs but they don't fit into that particular fridge. Crapperoony! 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

That is know as the LUSTY HOP SQUEEZE - and is recommend for all brewers who would like a positive Hop Outcome?

On reading this advice from @Beerlust, I squeezed out my 25g galaxy and 25g citra bags just before bottling last night. God it smelt good, but it also made me wonder if a little stir is necessary to distribute the hop juice evenly prior to bottling. I was loathe to agitate it too much and risk putting the trub back into suspension.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

How about a leaking tap 😞 

I knew something was wrong but ignored the warning sign. The tap is a bit of a bastard and only seals when the spout faces upwards, which is ok until you want to take a sample or do something outrageous like bottle. So I simply added a second seal ring and all was good. Until the weekend, when I cleaned the FV and put the tap back on. One of the seals "flipped" and kinda got pushed off the tap, over the other one. I fixed it up, all looked good but the tap was hard to seal. I finally got there with the spout facing down, so in the wort went. When I had a look yesterday, I was greeted with a little puddle in front of the fridge and a bigger one inside. can't tighten the tap any further. took measures to prevent the mess but that doesn't solve the leaking tap. Let's hope in 2 weeks, there is still anything left in the FV worth bottling. 😠

I don't like those screw in taps because they never seem to line up properly and when sealed, the spouts never seem to face down. I have two of those and both with the same issue. incidentally, also in a different FV, so there is some sort of a conspiracy, I'm sure 🙂 I prefer the Coopers FVs but they don't fit into that particular fridge. Crapperoony! 

I had the same problem mate, I wrapped some white thread tape around the thread, fixed the leak, but to get it to seal I had to face the spout upwards also. And upon tightening I found it flogs thread out, leaving it a sloppy fit. So I bought 3 of the Coopers FV and a few spare taps, have never had a problem with them, I always use food grade o-ring grease every use.

The old style FV now just collect dust and don’t get used.

Cheers RD 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cassius said:

On reading this advice from @Beerlust, I squeezed out my 25g galaxy and 25g citra bags just before bottling last night. God it smelt good, but it also made me wonder if a little stir is necessary to distribute the hop juice evenly prior to bottling. I was loathe to agitate it too much and risk putting the trub back into suspension.

You will often get a little bit of powdery sediment transfer when you do this, but it will settle out like any other trub given enough time. I generally do "the squeeze" & then put my brew into cold crash/cold condition mode straight after, that speeds up dropping sediment out & clearing the beer. If cold crashing/cold conditioning in a fridge is not an option for you, then simply allow as much time as you can stand to allow the sediment to drop out naturally, but more slowly before bottling/kegging your beer.

A gentle, slow stir near the top of the beer won't hurt. Just avoid splashing that can oxidize the beer pre-maturely.

Dare I say it, stirring in a post fermentation finings agent can also help here, & they work pretty well to clear the beer up.

Cheers,

Lusty.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well here's a cracking fail - not mine - but one I was involved with - so last night I lose connectivity - my Mobile Phone is the path to the outside world and just hotspot to the PC.  But there were storms around and lightning - no rain to speak of - and maybe - who knows - but the Tower (a few kms away as the crow flies), my lifeline to 'the outside world' dropped out.   So I gave up and watched some dodgy movie.

So today - after work - am on my way back to base - and think - why don't I go up to the Tower to see if it is back.  Get there. 1 Bar.  Right. That one bar is from some other Tower - should be 4 gleaming strong ones at the foot of the Tower.  Then the trouble starts - trying to work out how to get hold of someone in Telstra who cares.  The 1 Bar is making internet searches on the Mob very slow and painful.  I get some dodgy site that wants to charge me $5 to talk to a technician!?  Ditch that. Finally find Telstra site... and a phone number... yes we are busier than usual blah blah blah. Eventually I get one on the phone and one on a chat simultaneously.  Convince the phone person from some-other-land there is a problem at the Tower. Gold.

But I got the line chat going too.  So am trying to convince this some-other-land again guy Wilmer as well.  Anyway... eventually he finally agrees there is a problem.  I take a few screenshots along the way to record what is going on.

Then Wilmer cracks the epic fail and unwisely types: "Our technician are on site" (sic) see below.... and I am thinking yeah right...  I reckon I got a better chance of knowing if "our technican are on site" sitting at the base of the tower in 37 deg heat than you do from Manila so I kindly advised him of same... in the kindest way possible given the extreme circumstances, and me wanting to make sure he also confirmed they were going to do something about it.... was fixed by about 7pm. 

 

image.png.f9fc5b72280c09b9ffdcb5e9282e538c.png

I did cut and paste Bearded Burbler in to the above to avoid any further recriminations or libel action from Telstra in sharing this with my fellow Brewers ; )

Otherwise all names and places remain unchanged and please be assured it is not fake news 😋

Happy Brewing and now I can got and check what other festive things have been happening in my absence!

 

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Old mate Wilmer trying to pull one over BB's eyes 😂

Hey there Paddy!  Yes mate was a cracking epic fail on my man Wilmer's behalf... and a huge win of mine on the moderation front... I had to delete the reply a few times till I came up with one that I thought would be ok to cross the world and back ; )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...