Gerhard vdW

Mr beer Fermenting Vessels

Hi Everyone

I was thinking of trying out one of the Mr Beer brewing extracts and noticed that they only produce 8.5liters. Can I still bree this in my 23L FV? Or will the extra oxygen be bad for the brew? 

12 hours ago, Gerhard vdW said:

Hi Everyone

I was thinking of trying out one of the Mr Beer brewing extracts and noticed that they only produce 8.5liters. Can I still bree this in my 23L FV? Or will the extra oxygen be bad for the brew? 

It will be fine.  I have done Craft brews in my 23L fermenter and I have split a 23L wort into two 23L fermenters (with different hop additions to test the difference).  Never had an issue with them.

• Like 1

Shamus is on the money. I've done this many times before as well without issue.

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, first post!

Short: How do you know if you will need the Kollar, if you have one of each brew kits!? New!....

Long:  So due to the current situation I dug the new Craft Brew kit out of the closet, never used! In anticipation of not going any where for a while I also got quite a few of the Coopers cans from Dans (And a new US05 yeast for the Craft Brew Kit as it was 2017)... Then I realised the Coopers Cans make 23 Lt not 8.5Lt. (facepalm).

So I bought the big Coopers Kit as well.... The big kit comes with the Kollar, the craft brew one does not.

How do I know if a can will be high foaming or not!?

(Trying to work out if it worth buying the Kollar for the craft vessel, or just brew everything in the big coopers vessel?) (I know it was sort of answered above, but interested in the discussion of options if you have one of each).

Thoughts? 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pilotsh

Short: No you don't need the collar.

Long (well .. short also): The kollar just makes it easier to clean the krausen off of. I have 5 FV's none have the collar.

If you are worried about there not being enough head space in the smaller FV don't fill it to high and top it up after any foaming resides but iv never had a foaming issue using the mr beer kits or making a 10L toucan in the smally.

Hope this helps.

Back to the OP's topic: What about putting in 2 (17Lt) or 3 (25.5Lt) of the same Mr.Beer kits (8.5Lt) into the big Coopers FV to make more of the same at the same time? Would you still use all of the 2 or 3 yeast packets....