Coopers Community

All grain clarity

Marty_G

Took an SG reading, it is powering by the way this morning, and noticed that there appears to be a great deal of what may be fine particulate matter or protein coagulants in the sample. It has been fermenting since yesterday.  it is are very different to the look of extract brews. 

I am thinking it is just trub that has covered the tap outlet and after cold crashing and fining it will be much clearer. Had a sneeky taste too.  Bloody wonderful. Quite sweet as it still has over 20points to go. But nothing like the wort taste of an extract.  

So am i right about the trub.  Just need some reassurance that I am on the right track and by the time it gets to the keg it will be crystal clear or close to it.  

Oh and did use whirlfloc and I filtered the work through a stainless gause strainer when I transfered it from the kettle to FV. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

59 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It will settle down. Fermentation stirs thing up a little too.

A good cold crash at the end will help clear it up and it will be awesome.

I thought as much .... Would improving the filtering from the Kettle to the FV be a good step or is it not needed. 

10 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Did you use any kettle finings?

5 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Oh and did use whirlfloc and I filtered the work through a stainless gause strainer when I transfered it from the kettle to FV. 

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I had the same experience as you Marty. My first AG , when I saw what went into the fermenter I nearly carked my trousers.  Picture below

no need to worry cos this is the same brew in the pic below that 

The pic of the fermenter is 100% how mine looks.  I wasn't too worried but glad to know that it is normal.  Thanks heaps Paddy. 

• Like 1

I'm currently drinking a golden ale that has a lot of granular particulates in it which unfortunately get tossed up into suspension with the sudden rise of CO2 bubbles on opening the bottle.  They're the colour of yeast but don't actually 'behave' like yeast so not sure what it is  They do eventually settle to the bottom of the glass if left undisturbed.  Though the brew was CC'd as per usual I think this is one where I forgot to use whirlfloc and am now wondering if that has something to do with it?   A wee bit of a spoiler for what is otherwise a very nice beer. 

Anyway, generally it's not a problem  - as others have said things settle out in the FV, under the weight of dying yeast! -  and CC'ing and time usually finish the job off nicely. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have done some reading on "Cold Break" and know that this is not an issue. I will however be looking to improve the whirlpool and efficiency of the Immersion coil.  The whirlpool to elliminate more particulates and the immersion coil to save time.  

19 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I had the same experience as you Marty. My first AG , when I saw what went into the fermenter I nearly carked my trousers.  Picture below

no need to worry cos this is the same brew in the pic below that 

I'm guessing here you siphon off the beer rather than through the tap?