Coopers Community

Nelson Sauvin

This turned out really well. I have my feet firmly in the pro Nelson Sauvin camp.

I ended up going with 60/40 pale ale and wheat grain bill. Bittered with Amarillo and then a 3 to 1 whirlpool addition of Nelson and Amarillo. Dry hopped 2 to 1 of the same. Fermented with Voss. 

I'm actually really stoked with this. I'm usually pleased with my beers but they all fall a bit short of what I'm trying to create. This has a big dose of flavour and aroma and is really drinkable. Big fruity orange.

I only brewed a small batch. I want to ration. But I also want to drink.

IMG20200620145358.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I have come to this late. NS is indeed a ripper of a hop.  Needs judicious use though. Goes really well with Cascade as shown in "Fat Yak" Pale Ale.  I have used it and a similar hop "Hallertau Blanc" with 2 of the 3 c's ... Cascade, Citra and Centennial in combo. Also used it with Galaxy.  Also used it with Motueka in lagers.  

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

Looks like I’m also going to have some Nelson Sauvin hops available.

Whats the actual flavour/aroma of this one? Anyone who’s used it want to try and describe it?

Cheers.

It has a tropical fruitiness to it typical to a lot of NZ hops, but it also really does have a white wine characteristic. I guess I'd describe it as being slightly sharp tasting, but definitely not unpleasant. I've had pretty good success with it, particularly as an aroma hop.

I'm not great at explaining, but it looks like previous posts (like the one above you) have given their 2 cents.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, Popo the Degenerate said:

This turned out really well. I have my feet firmly in the pro Nelson Sauvin camp.

I ended up going with 60/40 pale ale and wheat grain bill. Bittered with Amarillo and then a 3 to 1 whirlpool addition of Nelson and Amarillo. Dry hopped 2 to 1 of the same. Fermented with Voss. 

I'm actually really stoked with this. I'm usually pleased with my beers but they all fall a bit short of what I'm trying to create. This has a big dose of flavour and aroma and is really drinkable. Big fruity orange.

I only brewed a small batch. I want to ration. But I also want to drink.

IMG20200620145358.jpg

Looks sensational @Popo the Degenerate Terrific stuff.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:11 PM, Mackbrew said:

Looks like I’m also going to have some Nelson Sauvin hops available.

Whats the actual flavour/aroma of this one? Anyone who’s used it want to try and describe it?

Cheers.

Yeah, it isn't a bad hop. I was always a little reluctant to use it as I had visions of beers tasting like wine 🙂 Once I used it, I was pleasantly surprised. As @ChairmanDrew said, it has the flavours of a typical NZ hop with just a hint reminiscent of grapes and wine. I always have some but don't use it a lot TBH.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

While you want Nelson Sauvin to shine, using it exclusively might indeed lead to a beer that's too winey or overpowering. Consider blending it with other complementary hops that can enhance its characteristics without overwhelming the beer. Hops like Hallertau Blanc or Huell Melon could work well. To preserve the delicate aroma of Nelson Sauvin, consider using it primarily as a late addition hop or for dry hopping. Adding it during the last 10-15 minutes of the boil or in the fermenter post-fermentation will help retain its aromatic qualities. Since you want the Nelson Sauvin hops to be the star of the show, opt for a simple malt bill that allows their flavors to shine through. A clean, pale malt base such as Pilsner malt or pale ale malt will work well to provide a neutral canvas for the hops.