Coopers Community

Nelson Sauvin

Hey Team,

I've got a bit of Nelson lying around and would like to brew a beer that features it as the only or main hop - a pale or lighter kinda style.

Anyone got any tips for using it in a beer like this? Reading got me a bit worried it could be too winey on its own.

Edited by Popo
Extra info

14 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Plus one to above.
I love NS. I find it to be a really good hop. There are many people around that don’t. 

Hope it’s a cracker for ya. 

NS is the only Hop I have encountered that I don’t enjoy. I wouldn’t say I hate it but I don’t particularly like it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

NS is the only Hop I have encountered that I don’t enjoy. I wouldn’t say I hate it but I don’t particularly like it.

Well all I can say is you are completely wrong, Nelson is amazing.
Think you should give yaself a bunch of uppercuts. 
Ha ha ha ha 

Nah!

I must admit, I really don’t understand how divisive this hop can be. Like coriander I guess. Love it or hate it. Weird. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I don't like the part that tastes like shit.

So don't boil it.

I generally only steep & mainly dry hop with it. It's aroma properties are nothing short of amazing I reckon.

Use your shitty Magnum in the boil. 😜

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

There is no place, I repeat NO PLACE for pineapple on a pizza. Ever! 🤮

I'm not sure how you make pizza but the top of pizza base is where all the toppings go. Pineapple can go on that part too.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I'm not sure how you make pizza but the top of pizza base is where all the toppings go. Pineapple can go on that part too.

You're doing it wrong. The pineapple goes next to the pizza base, not on it 🙂 

I like pineapple and I like mafia cakes but the two must never be combined. That's just festy 🙂 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Popo said:

I'm thinking I'll use some Amarillo earlier in the boil for the bitterness, use some Nelson at flameout and dry hop with a bit of both with a ratio favouring Nelson.

I'm all for pineapple on pizza.

Half of what you said makes good sense. 😜

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2020 at 12:06 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

For the pinapple on pizza debate. Persevere to just after the 2 minute mark.

PS I am for it.

I was hating watching this video until the part where the pineapple on pizza bit. Then I'm like, "yeah that's my reaction too, even harder core than he did it!"

So all these raging microphone swallowers are just guys p!$$@d off with finding pineapple on their pizzas?

Now I understand. 😉

Lusty.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've not used NS but pineapple definitely goes on pizza, just gotta be the right type.  You wouldn't put it on a meat lovers but it works on a supreme. Everyone who thinks otherwise is misguided and completely wrong. 

Misguided?

Fruit does not in any way belong with cooked meat as an accompaniment or otherwise. Period. The two are not interchangeable.

As an example of this, I've never heard of "Meat Salad".

One must be Yin, one must be Yang. Never the two shall meet.

Lusty.

• Haha 1