Coopers Community

American Pale ideas

supernerdy

Hey guys,

Met PB2 last week on a Coopers tour and in the mood to brew again. Currently I have a tin of the Bootmakers Pale to use and thinking of pairing it with Citra and Simcoe or just do a Mosaic pale and a kg on LDME. Do I just dry hop the hops or should I add some in for a 10 minute boil ?

Just getting my list together now but I'm also keen for a 250gram cold grain steep as well. Has anyone got suggestions of what grain to use other than crystal malt ? Maybe American Pale Malt for somthing different?

I only did this once, one of my first brews and brewed it as they said on the tin, which was 1.5kg LDM. Came out a bit sweet for a PA, so I'd do some hop bittering. Pretty much what ones you like, but 10min with Citra should go ok.

• Like 1

Hi Supernerdy.

American Pale Malt is a base malt & needs to be mashed so forget the idea of cold steeping that. 😉

For what you have in mind, a hop tea followed by a dry hop would work well for you here.

On the back of a PB2 recommendation he once gave to me with the Bootmakers Pale Ale kit, maybe reduce the overall ferment volume to 21 litres to intensify the kit flavours & mix with 1kg of dried malt extract along with a 250gm light crystal malt grain 65-70°C steep on the brewday. Combine 10-15gms each of the Citra, Simcoe & Mosaic as part of the grain steep in 2-3 litres of water. allow to steep for 20-30mins then strain into your fermenter.

Dry hop hop with all 3 hops as mad as you like.

Should make for a very tasty beer indeed. 🤤

Best of luck with whatever you put down,

Lusty.

• Like 4