Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Was too afraid of those hi tech things meh meh

Just bought a nice big chesty bonds freezer (fortunately before the Covid price hike and availability lack) that has inbuilt temp control and got pluto guns... seems to work ok but is not very fancy

Good for house inspections tho so that the Real Estate Fascists don't realise you are running a Brewery and thriving Alehouse 🥳

Ha, ha, you sound like Rick from the young ones 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Woohoo back on the Horse... a good Mash Tun is one with a Mash in it hahah!  Washed out the Wheatie this morning...

and got the next one going....

image.thumb.png.4373d9e15d29fe35c9a0c03c5581e125.png

this time a Black IPA of sorts methinks....  Voyager Atlas the main malt...   a lighter NSW Australia style continental type pale malt

Then some Voyager Munich and Wheat... and specialty grains CarafaIII, Chocolate, Acidulated and dash of Roasted Barley... not pumping this time... interested to see what will come of it. 

Cheers and good Brewing All!  BB

• Like 2

Groundhog Day... Woohoo - Black's in the Fermenter that had the Rye  - Rye been kegged - cleaned the SS Vessel... now for Lucky Sunday Lager... 3 Brew Days in a row?!?

Pumping again as I think this one might profit from the recirc... Cheers and Good Brewing All Ye Brewers!

image.thumb.png.079dfde14307d561107abefc605a2f48.png

• Like 7

Final FWK in the fermenter at the moment which should be drinkable for Christmas. Ordered a bag of Voyager Atlas on special from Hoppy Days and 5kg each of Munich and Caramunich and going to have a crack at this milling my own caper, and brew a Three C’s Pale Ale after Christmas.

Got the sister-in-law and brother-in-law staying for a bit so we’re going to split the costs.

Want to have a crack at a Kolsch after that one.

• Like 4

Another good brew day. Sharpening the pencil on this Aussie lager recipe I’ve been mucking around with. Spread out the hopping schedule during the boil to have a 60,30,15 &WP.  Rather than a big 60min bad boy. Tinkered with the water profile too. 

POR @60 & 30 

EKG @ 30, 15 and WP  

Barret burston pale malt

300g dextrose at 15

2ltr starter of saflager189 currently choofing at 16.5 deg. 

Was 2 points up on SG after temp adjustment.  Should come in at 4.7% Abv and will have the arse filtered out of it before kegging 😂

F1640EEA-582D-4A6D-99ED-A948C344A7C3.jpeg

• Like 5

Last brew day for 2020. As my fermenting freezer is being used for storage of hop flowers (around 2.5kg), I've been ambient fermenting since March. Mid 20's with lows of 9c this weeks means it good for steady 18c. Originally planned to brew an American pale in the style of the panhead supercharger but turned out to be a custom build supercharger/xpa hybrid.

935197187_Screenshot2020-12-20192315.png.b804876a066f93bf0785936265590059.png

SCP201220.jpg.ccffc2f2df60a8ceea237a540d2e0bea.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What for?

Dex is the main adjunct in Aussie lagers that extends brew house efficiency and wort fermentability at the lowest cost . Much like Asian brewers use rice and yanks use corn, we use good old Dex.

I only used 3.8kg of grain and got an OG of 1.047. Dex will also help it dry out to the 1.005 mark

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Third All Grain today. An Ale using Gladfield malts and Amarillo/Cascade hop schedule.  First time using my basket for 50 litre pot. Pushed it to the edge with 6 kilo of grain. OG was meant to come in at about 1050. Ended up 1060 for a 24 litre batch. 

20201221_145338.jpg

20201221_152640.jpg

20201221_174852.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Third All Grain today. An Ale using Gladfield malts and Amarillo/Cascade hop schedule.  First time using my basket for 50 litre pot. Pushed it to the edge with 6 kilo of grain. OG was meant to come in at about 1050. Ended up 1060 for a 24 litre batch. 

Third in one day?!! that is outrageous production PM!?!  Haha and your basket was fullasagoog!  Nice attenuation - good recovery..... should be great brew!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Third in one day?!! that is outrageous production PM!?!  Haha and your basket was fullasagoog!  Nice attenuation - good recovery..... should be great brew!

Third in career total fella. 4th one on Wednesday.  Going to do a Joe White Wheat beer. I'm getting the hang of things.

• Like 2

Just now, Pale Man said:

Third in career total fella. 4th one on Wednesday.  Going to do a Joe White Wheat beer. I'm getting the hang of things.

Aaaaaaargh got ahead of meself there a bit hahaha PM - I read....  Third All Grain Today..... so was thinking you blew reporting on the first two - and sent us piccy of just the last one - and was thinking.... ffffar out this fulla is good...  yeehaaa....  thinking that me - doing three days three brews in a row was going ok.... and you blew me out of the water... haha... but it was more so, your third AG and it happened to be completed today 🤣  Well come what may - 1060 sounds blllllllardy beautiful PM! Cheers mate.

Good luck with your JW Wheat - sounds good... BB

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Aaaaaaargh got ahead of meself there a bit hahaha PM - I read....  Third All Grain Today..... so was thinking you blew reporting on the first two - and sent us piccy of just the last one - and was thinking.... ffffar out this fulla is good...  yeehaaa....  thinking that me - doing three days three brews in a row was going ok.... and you blew me out of the water... haha... but it was more so, your third AG and it happened to be completed today 🤣  Well come what may - 1060 sounds blllllllardy beautiful PM! Cheers mate.

Good luck with your JW Wheat - sounds good... BB

This AG caper is easier and more fun than I expected. I've got a lot to learn but really enjoying myself. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pale Man said:

This AG caper is easier and more fun than I expected. I've got a lot to learn but really enjoying myself. 

That is pure GOLD PM.... yer it is the biz.... well I should not speak too soon.... will report back after I check on my 5 kegs and see how they go haha!

22 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'm sure it's  that muddy theres yabbys in there. I'll get on top of that. Put it down to too much grain. I'm trying to break the record for biggest ABV pale ale @Bearded Burbler BB. 

That is funny mate.... yer'll have to sift the bllllardy yabbies out or they'll get stuck into your late hopping haha 😜

4th AG today. No photos i was really focused on hitting my numbers. Which i did. A hybrid ale/wheat beer. 1052 in the FV.

Used two packets of Lallemund Abbaye Belgian yeast to see if i lose that sulphur. Not traditional i know but i'm experimenting. Enjoyed today. 5 hours all up including cleaning.

Wheat beer..PNG

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How did your sparge go with the wheat malt?

I didnt sparge fella, i treated my basket as a brew in a bag no sparge. I didnt use hulls either. ( i did mash out for 15 minutes )

My basket is maxed out at about 6 kilo of grain, and i dial in Brewfather of 4 litres of boil off loss and 5 litres of trub. So i have to up my grain bill for now until i perfect things.

But i was quite surprised i hit my numbers. I'm loving Brewfather otherwise i'd have no idea.

• Thanks 1

Im sending Cheeky Peak their baskets are not big enough for the kettle. The biggest beer i can make with their basket designed for my kettle is around 6.6 percent in a 50 litre kettle.

I want to make some big Dubbles and Stouts for winter. So i'll have to revert back to the bag.  Under engineered.