Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

What do ya reckon  BB?

Haha PM too much is barely enough!?! 🥳

Just keep your water levels down - my recent brews I have tried to do a bit more of a sparge and things have been more dilute : |

Possibly one even under 5% shock horror!?! 😜

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Love Brewfather Shamus. Once you get used to it, theres no going back. Its actually a non negotiable. 

Uh oh I got BeerSmith but have not yet got off me arrrrrrse to getting to using it.... toooooooo busy brewing.... haha.... and just using word doc and xl spready haha a disgrace I know but the beer seems to be still tasting ok ; )

Does anyone else here use BeerSchmidt?

• Like 2

THE HUNDREDTH 🥳

This is my 100th brew day

2079726072_TraditionalPaleAle2.png.c927594b0b36b967e760995fa984e33d.png1818653231_TraditionalPaleAle1.png.b26178a1253603841e23e0df44678329.png

This is for my brother.  He'll be paying for the ingredients and I'll keep a couple of bottles and give him a keg full.

Using Kveik yeast for the first time.  Brewed this on Friday.  Looking at the fermenter today, the surface has a small swell on it, not enough to surf, but fun for the kids.

I was wondering how I could ferment this brew because I already have a brew going in my fermentation freezer.  Initially I thought, bugger it, I will just do it at ambient.  My brother would not know the difference (and it was how I brewed for ages until I set up my freezer).  Then I recalled lots of brewers on here talk about Kveik yeast and I had watched a few videos too.  I thought, I cannot keep a brew consistently down around 18-20°C, but I can keep it around 30-35°C.  Hence I bought some Kviek yeast and am giving it a crack.  Wish my brother luck.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm brewing a Kit and Kilo!  😲

Haven't done one of these for years but after watching a Youtube video by a fellow brewer who recently revisited his homebrewing 'roots' as it were by brewing a hopped up K&K.  Looks like he achieved quite a good result based on his tasting video which, coming from an AG brewer is quite encouraging, so I thought I might do one myself, just for fun, old times sake, and to see how it compares to my more recent AG/Partial efforts.  It's essentially a hoppy British Golden ale but once again using Kveik Voss yeast @32ºC :

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Draught 
1.20 kg LME
25g Amarillo @5min
25g Amarillo @2min
25g Simcoe @1min
25g Simcoe @0min
M12 Kveik Voss 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

Smurtos Golden Ale using our Victoria hops.

Lovely stuff Maurice and especially nice using your own hops mate!

Am a big supporter of malted wheat... should be a lovely drop mate ; )

What temp are you going to mash at mate ?

39 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Lovely stuff Maurice and especially nice using your own hops mate!

Am a big supporter of malted wheat... should be a lovely drop mate ; )

What temp are you going to mash at mate ?

Mash at 66c for 80 mins then up to 75c before sparging.  Yeah its pretty good to be able to brew with hops grown in the backyard. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll ask away.

Ive just made a coopers Mexi kit with BE1.

I make this for SWMBO as it keeps her away from the real beer!

Anyway, I normally use US05 and it turns out good every time. However this time I tried a pressure  ferment (10Psi) with Kveik Voss (why not). 

SWMBO says its great, but I'm picking up some "earthy" flavours. anyone ever noticed this with Kveik?

Hoping to do a HW with W3068 - thanks to @Greeny1525229549 Greeny for some yeast revitalisation coaching and starter prep - thanks mate!  ; )

Got the Weyermann Pils and a tad of Munich milled finer and Voayager Winter Wheat milled a bit more coarse to avoid flour glue production...

Hope to mash on down later this arvo ; )

And the kitch got a good vacuum haha - seem to always managed to dust the place up 🙃

image.thumb.png.fc9eeff4eb061f26beef8287a3e10890.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hoping to do a HW with W3068 - thanks to @Greeny1525229549 Greeny for some yeast revitalisation coaching and starter prep - thanks mate!  ; )

Got the Weyermann Pils and a tad of Munich milled finer and Voayager Winter Wheat milled a bit more coarse to avoid flour glue production...

And the kitch got a good vacuum haha - seem to always managed to dust the place up 🙃

image.thumb.png.fc9eeff4eb061f26beef8287a3e10890.png

Lovely BB. Love my wheats. My next one is going to be a bit beefier. 50 percent Gladfield ale, 50 percent Joe White wheat.

Are you using rice hulls??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Lovely BB. Love my wheats. My next one is going to be a bit beefier. 50 percent Gladfield ale, 50 percent Joe White wheat.

Are you using rice hulls??

Mate I am not sure - should I be using rice hull-up?  Please note I am not one of you hi-tech mighty Robotzilla Grainfarther Gutenbrew AG Lords...  😬

Am a mere SS mesh basket in a SS vessel type BIAB peasant... trying to avoid a burn on the element from wheat flour glue or other case high Crystal Malt content mash-n-boil or so it seems... 

It's not so much about blocked sparges mate but rather gluey gooey stuff finding its way out of the basket and beneath onto the element below... would a rice-a-riso help with that mate perchance pray tell good Brewer?  😋

41 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate I am not sure - should I be using rice hull-up?  Please note I am not one of you hi-tech mighty Robotzilla Grainfarther Gutenbrew AG Lords...  😬

Am a mere SS mesh basket in a SS vessel type BIAB peasant... trying to avoid a burn on the element from wheat flour glue or other case high Crystal Malt content mash-n-boil or so it seems... 

It's not so much about blocked sparges mate but rather gluey gooey stuff finding its way out of the basket and beneath onto the element below... would a rice-a-riso help with that mate perchance pray tell good Brewer?  😋

Rice hulls more for a stuck mash/sparge. Which wouldn't really affect brew in basket, which is what i use. I did use hulls for my first AG wheat and thinking not necessary. I've heard they can give off flavours. 

• Like 1

TC 86 days pilsner 1.25kg light dry malt 

30 grams sazz 10 min steep after tin and light dry malt mixed in pot,strained into fv.

just under 22 litres pitched 11.5 gram pack saflager s- 189 at 18.6 degrees fridge set to 15. some people use 2 packs some say one is fine ill soon find out. Hopefully first brew for keggerator getting tomorrow.  OG:1.044

20201210_163157.jpg

20201210_163203.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Income derivation induced disaster struck - mm - guess earning some pennies is related to enhanced purchasing capability for malted grain and hops... 

So best laid plans of mice and men..... nil progress

Hopefully tomorrow.... all things being equal and no nasty financially relevant interruptions 😝

Mmm the HW is still locked in the cracked malted grain : |

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Bearded Burbler bet u can't wait until its ready to keg got my keggerator set up today although its really confusing to begin with and still after 3 videos

Was too afraid of those hi tech things meh meh

Just bought a nice big chesty bonds freezer (fortunately before the Covid price hike and availability lack) that has inbuilt temp control and got pluto guns... seems to work ok but is not very fancy

Good for house inspections tho so that the Real Estate Fascists don't realise you are running a Brewery and thriving Alehouse 🥳

15 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

On the way to the boil now..... magic frothy top love it on the way to the boil.... nice green bit of colour... thrown some Hallertau in already...

image.thumb.png.8c73c1eb66097fa0e5fded55d659f099.png

I'll watch this one with keen interest right up until it's in the glass. 

• Like 1