Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate I am hoping that at 18 you will be ok... but yer nivver know until yer go... ha ha.  Let us know how you get on mate.

And also my experience is that the old HFW can be a serious foamer too... and if your Vat was very full?

That is a very nice looking HFW tho in the fine ManU glass mate - a lovely brew and a thing of beauty ha ha!! 

I haven't done an AG-Keg HFW combo yet so is on the list ; )

The HFW KnKs with extra liquid malt - and AG HFW - all in bottles - have been very slurpable so will be interesting to see how it goes in Kegging.

Yeah I keg, but only a K & K brewer, resisting the AG urge currently.

But very happy with my K & K brews, if we move house in the next year ( that’s the plan ) I’ll get a decent man cave set up for my keezer and go AG.

Planning is in the works to build a keezer MK2, this time I’ll put a sub woofer in it so I’ve got some tunes cranking 😜😜😜😜😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Planning is in the works to build a keezer MK2, this time I’ll put a sub woofer in it so I’ve got some tunes cranking 😜😜😜😜

Thaaat is festive Red!   Gold.

I am just really happy I bought my freezer when I did before the trouble started... that shop now has no freezers at all and my specific make not till July -if then- they are saying.

Mate you might do this already - but if doing KnK - is really worthwhile trying using Liquid Malts rather than dry or dex... makes a massive difference IMHO...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thaaat is festive Red!   Gold.

I am just really happy I bought my freezer when I did before the trouble started... that shop now has no freezers at all and my specific make not till July -if then- they are saying.

Mate you might do this already - but if doing KnK - is really worthwhile trying using Liquid Malts rather than dry or dex... makes a massive difference IMHO...

I’ve only just changed to liquid malt and I agree, massive difference. I had some powdered malt to use up which is all gone now, so liquid for me now.

My Hefe has liquid wheat malt in it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I’ve only just changed to liquid malt and I agree, massive difference. I had some powdered malt to use up which is all gone now, so liquid for me now.

My Hefe has liquid wheat malt in it. 

Good Man!  Luvyerwork! 

Adding some dry malt as you go is no prob to boost things along as need be - but having the Kit and at least one can of Liquid Malt makes a good load of difference.

I have been doing some yeast starters which has been helping use my 20kg of Dry Malt up from KnK days ; )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

The instructions said to put both the yeasts in, never done that before.

Didnt have any Windsor so I used a Morgan’s Ale Yeast which was 15g, plus the can yeast which was 7g, that should go off like a frog in a sock shouldn’t it BB ?

cheers 🍺🍺

Heya Red. From memory morgans has two ale yeasts. American ale which is US05 and premium ale which is S04. For pacific ale i think american ale would have been the better one to use but both will do a good job. And yeah. 22g of yeast will ferment it quick smart. You would hae got it done with the 15g packet only but it will still make a nice beer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Heya Red. From memory morgans has two ale yeasts. American ale which is US05 and premium ale which is S04. For pacific ale i think american ale would have been the better one to use but both will do a good job. And yeah. 22g of yeast will ferment it quick smart. You would hae got it done with the 15g packet only but it will still make a nice beer.

Cheers Greeny 🍺

20 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Hey Kirk. Do you add a standard amount of gypsum to each brew or do you base it on the mash ph of the grain bill 

Just a standard amount. It has been trail and error for me to get my beers where I want it.

But I will eventually get my water tested and build better profiles for each type of beer. 

• Like 1

Brew Day! 🙂

Experimental brew today. K & K with a small overnight cold grain steep aimed purely intended for colour adjustment, using Hort 4337 & Cashmere hops for the first time, with WLP059 yeast to ferment it.

The Odd Ball Pale Ale:

Coopers AUS Pale Ale kit 1.7kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
Dextrose 50gms
CaraBohemian grain 150gms (cold steeped overnight then boiled for 15mins)
Roasted Barley grain 25gms (cold steeped overnight then boiled for 15mins)
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient (boiled for 15mins)
Hort 4337 25gms @ flameout
Cashmere 50gms dry hopped
White Labs WLP059 yeast (from 2L starter)
Ferment @ 18-19°C
Brewed to 21 Litres
OG = approx. 1.046, FG = approx. 1.010
EBC = 21.3, IBU = 27.5

ABV = approx. 4.7%

It should throw something interesting.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 10

Recipe: Everyday Pale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          99.5 %        2.61 L        
0.02 kg          Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC)           Grain         2          0.5 %         0.01 L        
10.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           3          14.5 IBUs     -             
4.00 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
30.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           5          10.2 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           6          13.5 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kveik yeast. Bigger batch so I can bottle some for a bloke at work.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Titan said:

Later this arvo i will put down this smash using the starter i made from year old harvest.

Brewfather_JailhouseSmash_20200402.pdf 146.29 kB · 2 downloads

Nice one, haven't heard of Pekko hops. I was hoping to brew tomorrow but my LHBS has sold 8 weeks of stock in 1 week and now has no grain left! Ordered elsewhere online so maybe next week. 

On 3/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

So Kelsey what would you say that you use the Munich for in your brews - a bit more of an amber caramel type richer flavour than say pilsener malt which stays crisper and drier?

I just used some Munich in that recent lager and noticed how much impact it had on colour certainly and I think from the wort perspective(Still in FV) a richer more rounded flavour....

Your thoughts?

I put in about 25% of the Malt Bill as Munich and think maybe next time I could reign that back in a bit... but I guess I should wait until I drink the brew itself hey.

Just saw this 🤣

I don't use it so much for colour, more for a richer malt flavour. Interestingly I don't use it in lagers as I find it makes them overly malty for my tastes, however I do use a small amount of melanoidin. 

Not sure what my next brew will be yet, will put something together with whatever hops are still left. Ordered a new grain bag this arvo so hopefully it gets here before next Friday so I can do a long weekend brew day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just saw this 🤣

Ha ha no worries mate 😋 Cheers.  

Re Munich Malt and its influence - good. Ok - yep that richer malt flavour. 

Rightio well it will be interesting to see how it turns out - this lager might be a bit more like a malt Munich Helles... some of that standard Helles in Munich/Bayern is pretty malty... anyway... will see in a few weeks ; )   If it ends up being overly malty I can throttle it back a bit next time if need be.

So what was your new bag of grain you were ordering?

11 hours ago, Titan said:

using the starter i made from year old harvest.

Mate did you do anything special to crank that old yeast back up again - and how did you store it - without oxygen ie just full up bottle or just in a half filled jar or?

Am interested in the longer store and getting the yeast back again - and avoiding I guess contam as well...

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha no worries mate 😋 Cheers.  

Re Munich Malt and its influence - good. Ok - yep that richer malt flavour. 

Rightio well it will be interesting to see how it turns out - this lager might be a bit more like a malt Munich Helles... some of that standard Helles in Munich/Bayern is pretty malty... anyway... will see in a few weeks ; )   If it ends up being overly malty I can throttle it back a bit next time if need be.

So what was your new bag of grain you were ordering?

Not a bag of grain, a grain bag for mashing 😂 

I left the other one soaking in water for too long after the last brew day and they're a bitch to clean when they get like that. Hop sock/spider was also pretty dirty but much easier to clean. It's been soaking in perc for two days, I'll rinse it out tomorrow and it'll be good to go. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate did you do anything special to crank that old yeast back up again - and how did you store it - without oxygen ie just full up bottle or just in a half filled jar or?

Am interested in the longer store and getting the yeast back again - and avoiding I guess contam as well...

Nah, to be honest i was going to dump it. Then set myself a challenge to see if it was still viable after so long in the fridge. Was harvested from a starter i made over a year ago. 500ml container filled to the top so yeast was sitting under beer all this time. When i opened it just before pitching to the new starter it smelt fine. It took of pretty quickly and when done i gave it a taste and it was great, no off flavour or smell. When i started the experiment i was going to dump it as i didnt think it would work. Taking to the next level is the brew im doing now hence the small batch size. Didnt want to waste a 5-6kg grainbill on what is a essentially a dodgy starter.

• Like 2

Throwing this Kolsch style into the fermenter tomorrow. A double batch which I think will be perfect for my 1st Voss Kveik ferment. I will do it at 30o and hope to get a lager sort of flavour profile.    Looking forward to a simple brew day.   

Capture.PNG

• Like 6

Put down a belgian wit today. 2kg pilsener. 2kg of torrified wheat. Mashed at 64c. 5gm of warrior @ 60 mins. Irish moss at 10 mins. 8gm of saaz and 8gm styrian goldings at 5 mins with 25gm coriander seeds and the zest of 2 oranges. Caught on the hop a little with scaling up my stored wit yeast so decanted and cooled 2litres of wort into erlenmeyer before cubing the rest. 

Added a 500ml starter of MJ 21 belgian wit which just hit high krausen to the erlenmeyer which should be at high krausen in the morning for pitching. Ferment start at 18c with a ramp to 22 over 4 or 5 days. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

5gm of warrior @ 60 mins. Irish moss at 10 mins. 8gm of saaz and 8gm styrian goldings

They really are small volumes. Excuse my ignorance is that normal for a witbeer?  Also how do you like the warrior as a bittering hop.