Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

10 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Yeah, Cascade seems to be able to travel around beer styles, but Mosaic to me, is a pale ale hop. Not sure how this will go in a Bitter. All I know is when I steeped Mosaic, if gave off very ripe stonefruit flavours - strong peach and nectarine. Can't see how that will work with a Bitter -  and a frankenstyle bitter at that, given your 'throw in everything' recipe.

I have these in hand - given your comment I was thinking perhaps the centennial might be better? The description suggests it can work in bitters.

I did 2 x 25g Cascade, one as a short boil (15 mins) the other as a whirlpool while the wort cooled in the sink. If mosaic might be too fruity I'm guessing the same applies to LD and citra. The other choices are either EKG which I've used before but maybe not enough of it that the flavour/aroma comes to mind.  It's a more traditional English hop so maybe? Or simply stick with single hops with dry of cascade?

East Kent Golding
Lemon Drop
Cascade
Centennial
Citra
Mosaic

The "throw in everything" is because I like the rich rounded flavours in preference to single flavour beers. Eventually I will likely settle down to a couple of favourites to brew but I'm still getting the hang of partial mashes - it will likely be a long time before I move to AG and I think my cash will go to kegging before that.

Edited by Journeyman

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I think the reasons for that are obvious and it has nothing to do with taste. It is sessionable.  

Like most mega-swills, I think it is more Obsessional. 😄 Try feeding one of them to someone sworn by blood to a different one.

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I have these in hand - given your comment I was thinking perhaps the centennial might be better? The description suggests it can work in bitters.

From what you have on hand the Centennial and the EKG should work OK for a bitter.   When I think bitter i think the older style hops so English. EKG and Fuggle or Australian use Cluster and POR.  Or a mix of them. However the centennial will work.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Ey BB, just cruising past your post and thought I’d throw in my 2 cents....

I find that I enjoy hop forward beers that give you that biscuity/bready little tickle at the back going down. It’s the best of both worlds I rekon....you get a nose and mouth of hoppy goodness, rounded out by something that reminds you you’re still drinking beer. That’s why I add Munich to all my pale ales and things that might be close to ipa territory.....

Coolio MB - good stuff.  I am hoping the Munich will give me a nice rounded malty full strength Lager... and will look at putting some in Pales in future.  Think I will do a Pale/Sparkling Hoppy Ale the next brew and have a bit of Munich left so will use it then... and then will have to chase down some more : )   Thanks mate!  BB

• Like 1

Yeah mate. Was after 5.2 or even a touch higher than that. This was using the tap water too and what i usually do to the water when i make a stout. Due to the high percentage of dark malt it will drop the ph lower than normal hence the addition of calcium carbonate to offset that but obviously not enough for the amount of dark malt i had. Anyway. Will see what happens in a few weeks i guess. 😆

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah mate. Was after 5.2 or even a touch higher than that. This was using the tap water too and what i usually do to the water when i make a stout. Due to the high percentage of dark malt it will drop the ph lower than normal hence the addition of calcium carbonate to offset that but obviously not enough for the amount of dark malt i had. Anyway. Will see what happens in a few weeks i guess. 😆

Greeny mate does lowering the pH with the dark malt affect efficiency of the mash process?

i.e. you are trying to push solution pH up to 5.2-5.3 I am reading... is that to improve efficiency?

6 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Greeny mate does lowering the pH with the dark malt affect efficiency of the mash process?

i.e. you are trying to push solution pH up to 5.2-5.3 I am reading... is that to improve efficiency?

From what I read a little thin and acidic taste however I did miss OG by 4 points as well when I pitched it this afternoon. The sample did have a slight acidic taste as well. 

Not the most experienced with the dark beers. Have done a couple of AG stouts last year and they turned out ok and from memory the ph wasn't too bad but this porter had a bit more dark malt. I should have taken a mash ph 15 mins in and adjusted with baking soda but took it with 15 to go and then left it. See what happens I guess

Did a Hazy IPA. Pretty expensive brew coming in at close to $90 as i bought two packs of WhiteLabs London Fog yeast

4.5ks Pilsner

1 kg Golden promise

500gms each of flaked oats and what

10 gms Magnum 60 mins

50 gms each of  El Dorado, Azacca and Galaxy at flameout for 20 mins

Dry hopped with anorher 50gms of each of the above

2 packs of London Fog and use Lactic Acid in the mash to lower PH

• Like 6

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Covid Killer IPA
Brewer: Grumpy
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.50 L
Post Boil Volume: 25.19 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 19.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 20.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 103.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
6.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          85.1 %        3.91 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          14.2 %        0.65 L        
0.05 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         3          0.7 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min           Hop           4          38.9 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
50.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           6          13.8 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Chinook [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          17.9 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           8          18.3 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           9          14.5 IBUs     -             
Kveik Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big dry hop too....

• Like 6

Well I am starting my journey back to old school brews.  Below is my take on a 1917 recipe for Tooths XX Ale. I have modified the cane sugar fraction which was equal to the raw sugar fraction and put some wheat malt and used Caraaroma instead of black malt for colouring.   

Now a question for the brains trust. What can I expect from the sugar. I am thinking that as it is 100% fermentable it will offer a lower FG and not add anything to the body of the brew.  Hence my thoughts on putting in some wheat for a bit of body and head retention. Am I on the right track there?    Apart from that the IBU and EBC are as per the 1917 recipe.  

Capture.PNG

• Like 4

On 3/25/2020 at 7:26 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Now a question for the brains trust. What can I expect from the sugar. I am thinking that as it is 100% fermentable it will offer a lower FG and not add anything to the body of the brew.  Hence my thoughts on putting in some wheat for a bit of body and head retention. Am I on the right track there?    Apart from that the IBU and EBC are as per the 1917 recipe. 

Marty just remembering a comment from @Beerlust when I noted that I routinely add Wheat for Head Retention and Mouthfeel... and Lusty's point was hey that is all good... but you will need body to begin with for the head retention impact from the wheat... and I think that is correct... most of my AGs are all pretty big malt bills and full bodied... so my routine addition of wheat does help in head retention.  But if the brew does not own much body then the wheat may not have such an impact.  Anyway... would be good to get Lusty back on that topic... you there mate @Beerlust ?  Did I get your message right regards the wheat impact Lusty?  Or anyone other Brewer...

• Like 2

On 3/25/2020 at 5:26 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Well I am starting my journey back to old school brews.  Below is my take on a 1917 recipe for Tooths XX Ale. I have modified the cane sugar fraction which was equal to the raw sugar fraction and put some wheat malt and used Caraaroma instead of black malt for colouring.   

Capture.PNG

Looks a lot like an English Bitter recipe!

My only comment is it that the IBUs are quite high for such a low ABV and FG brew, but maybe that is your goal. Personally I would reduce the raw sugar to 10% and skip the white sugar, and maybe use a higher mash temp, for some more body.

I have never used M15 yeast. By description it sounds like repackaged Windsor. Have you ever used Windsor? If so,  I will be curious to hear if you find them similar....Windsor ferments very fast, with a huge krausen, but does not get as dry at 72% AA, despite what the calculators say, because it does not ferment maltotriose. 

Good luck with the brew Marty.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 8:02 AM, PaddyBrew2 said:

2 packs of London Fog

Have you used this yeast before Paddy? If so, what do you think of it? If not, I will be curious to hear your thoughts after making this brew.

I recently use WLP095 Burlington Ale yeast in a brew, supposedly the Conan strain and I have mixed feelings about it. The beer tastes great but the yeast behaved in an unusual way, first fermenting blazingly fast, then taking a long time to finish the final few points. Might want to try something different next time.

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

My only comment is it that the IBUs are quite high for such a low ABV and FG brew, but maybe that is your goal. Personally I would reduce the raw sugar to 10% and skip the white sugar, and maybe use a higher mash temp, for some more body.

Thanks for the tips. The recipe is very close to the actually 1917 recipe of a the old Tooths XX ale so I didn't want to change the grain bill too much. As it is I reduced the sugar by 11%.   My reasoning for staying as true to the recipe as possible is I want to taste the beers of yesteryear.   The OG, IBU and EBC  are on point for the recipe and hopefully so will the ABV which is supposed to be around 4.3-4.5%

You are correct that it is very much like an EB. I imagine that most the beers of the day were reproductions or close to the beers that they were familiar with, those of the old country England or the country of the brewers birth. The man who established Tooths brewery John Tooth was a brewer from Kent in England and even named his brewery the Kent brewery.   

The choice of the MJ15 was deliberate in the sense that  I wanted to get away from Notts which is a staple of mine and the recipe called for an English ale yeast so I grabbed something that was appropriate at the LHBS. 

Anyway I will be posting the progress and outcomes as they develop.  My goal, as I have mentioned before, is purely nostalgic. I want to make the ales that I was drinking when I 1st started drinking in the mid 70's. The beers from the days before generic mega swill cold ferment lagers. The days before the mega brewers. The days of local tasty beer.  In a way it is back to the future as the rise of craft beers is trying to achieve the same but are using new flavours and new hops. Myself I am looking for the classic to balance my 3 taps. A classic Australian ale, a lager and a new world hop driven pale ale.    

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Have you used this yeast before Paddy? If so, what do you think of it? If not, I will be curious to hear your thoughts after making this brew.

I recently use WLP095 Burlington Ale yeast in a brew, supposedly the Conan strain and I have mixed feelings about it. The beer tastes great but the yeast behaved in an unusual way, first fermenting blazingly fast, then taking a long time to finish the final few points. Might want to try something different next time.

Cheers,

Christina. 

My first time Christina. First thing that took my notice was the fruity smell that came from it, i almost wanted to lick the packet when i pitched. it smelt like the fruitiest hop bomb beer. its 24 hours after pitching and the krausen has just took off like a frog in a sock. i was worried about no activity, ,drove to the brew shop to get my next lockdown brew and when it came back there was a lovely foamy head which is getting bigger. i'll let you know how i go with it. i will be dry hopping saturday to try and get biotransformation going but i hope she finishes sooner rather than later cos the clowns in charge of Western Australia have introduced alcohol purchase limit laws and my IPA keg is about to blow

Edited by PaddyBrew2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

My first time Christina. First thing that took my notice was the fruity smell that came from it, i almost wanted to lick the packet when i pitched. it smelt like the fruitiest hop bomb beer. its 24 hours after pitching and the krausen has just took off like a frog in a sock. i was worried about no activity, ,drove to the brew shop to get my next lockdown brew and when it came back there was a lovely foamy head which is getting bigger. i'll let you know how i go with it.

Thanks Paddy. Sounds delicious! 

Cheers,

Christina.

11 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

...Myself I am looking for the classic to balance my 3 taps. A classic Australian ale, a lager and a new world hop driven pale ale. 

It appears through all of Otto Von Blotto's experimenting, he's been able to clone himself! 😱

😜 

Cheers & good luck with the Tooth's brew Marty.

Lusty.

• Haha 2