Coopers Community

Beer Storage

Journeyman

2 hours ago, Poddy said:

This is my storage. It’s in the built in cupboard in the spare room. I reuse the bottle boxes & use small stickers to label what’s in what. I’ve also got my fermenting fridge next to it. 

Nice layout there - something for me to aspire to when I get shelves in my cupboard.

I have been stashing beer all over the house. Since I got back into home brewing and using kveik I can brew one batch in the fermenting fridge and the other just in the garage. I have some in the garage, laundry cupboard, bottom of the kitchen pantry and i just stashed some in the spare bedroom right in the far corner between the bed and the wall, hope the wife doesnt find it haha. I asked my 6 year old if I can store some under his bed he said no 😞

• Haha 3

I do similar to Poddy. I use the Coopers PET bottles and boxes and stack them where I can in my study/man-cave. They don't need to be in a cupboard as the box keeps the light out. I'd have about 15 to 20 boxes rotating through there, from empties to second ferment to ready to drink stages.

• Like 1

I don't have the boxes - got all my bottles 2nd hand, many of them free, and some I collected over about 6 months when I knew I was going to start HB. Most recent was 750 ml bottles from a (almost) local juicing place @ 50c each. Got 80 of them. Not beer shaped but take crown tops and pressure rated for cider I think.

• Like 1

Damn, tossed most of my bottles ( 200 or so ) when I switched to kegging, but that was before I joined this forum otherwise I would of sent them to you guys. Only keep around 30 flip tops now as when I keg I have 2 or 3 litres left over, pending if I do a 21L or 23L batch. Usually bottle them up and give them to the old man to drink whilst he watches his old Clint Eastwood Westerns. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bottled 2 brews, 1 I call 'Soft Kicker' - a lower alcohol version of my 'Strong Kicker' which was a toucan using up 2 x out-of-date Coopers draught cans and the 'Coopers XPA-Clone-ish' based loosely on the recipe with some alterations. I say 'lower alcohol' but it still came in at over 6% - 😄 What can I say, I like strong beer and it helps the missus not to drink too many of my stock. (Did I mention she has hated every beer she tried across 13 years but now she likes my home brew?)

To the right are 6 of each brew of which I still have any left, oldest to the right. I plan to keep them a while then try them, maybe one of each type per month, or perhaps just not touch them for 12 months and see how they fare.

To the left (& from the left) are 2 rows of beers to drink now, a mix including Strong Kicker, and a few of loosely based American IPA styles, 1 with Golding and 1 with cascade - surprisingly different in flavour. To the right are 3 rows each of the brews I have just done, the kicker and XPA ones.

Clearly I will have to extract digit and build some more shelves because I have the Xbeerimental one I want to brew so I'm going to need storage for that. (and more 😄 )

Oh... and the stubby is the last remaining of my very first brew, the one that got to 36° overnight. That beer actually turned out rather nice after about 2 months - lost quite a bit of the fruity aroma and taste. Might have to repeat is, without the super-heating of course. (I hast fridge now 😄 )

image.png.d8c524738b0580f625f7bdf83a60b18a.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 12:36 PM, Journeyman said:

I don't have the boxes - got all my bottles 2nd hand, many of them free, and some I collected over about 6 months when I knew I was going to start HB. Most recent was 750 ml bottles from a (almost) local juicing place @ 50c each. Got 80 of them. Not beer shaped but take crown tops and pressure rated for cider I think.

I ended up taking these back - while they take crown tops they are the tirage ones, 29 mm - I'd need a new bell for my capper and keeping track of which caps I need would be a PITA. Also the added cost made the price not so attractive. Ended up getting 146 PET's for $50. Should keep me supplied for a while.

But I plan to get more long necks when I can - there is a distinct difference in taste between glass and PET. Not so much the actual beer taste as the quality of it, if that makes sense. Also the longer storage possible with glass is an argument in favour.

Whether any of this happens prior to me getting something happening with kegs is another matter. 😄

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Whether any of this happens prior to me getting something happening with kegs is another matter. 😄

Yeah kegs is fine JMan... but honestly... going to glass bottles ought to be cheaper than kegs and good self-made beer in glass is pure GOLD.  Very flexible... split up some and age them... bit hard to split a keg.  I used plazzis a tiny bit but prefer glass and bought Coopers on Special to build up my bottle inventory and then a mate had a few crates in the back shed that were filthy after 20 years or more - mostly old Coopers bottles and some NSW Bottle Company ones - and I got most of them - ditched the screwtops and the worst of the contam ones - and cleaned up the rest - got about 6 dozen quality old glass bottles... so got a good inventory now.   I am moving to kegs (years in the making) but it is an added expense and honestly my AG beer in glass bottles has been very very good. 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I am moving to kegs (years in the making) but it is an added expense and honestly my AG beer in glass bottles has been very very good. 

Well, as I understand things, each brew of normal (23L) size produces around 4L of extra brew - that's at least 5 bottles for storage. 😄

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Well, as I understand things, each brew of normal (23L) size produces around 4L of extra brew - that's at least 5 bottles for storage. 😄

I as a Kegger only brew just over 20L, 19L in the keg, 1L leftover trub etc.

No bottling, brewing 20L instead of 23L makes a better brew IMO 

Just my view RD 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Well spotted!  Yeah I think that @Red devil 44 Red noted too he bottles a few as he goes along ; )

Yeah the problem is with my AG caper I don't always get the final volume the same.... so the latest Black Beauty is probably only around 20L so haven't got many Litres for the archive ; )

Me being the saving person I am though - I saved the bottom layer of the brew which has a swag of Trub (gunk from bottom of mash tun-boil kettle vessel)... into my Yeast-Cultivation-Jar...  to use some for OG... anyway it started fermenting cos I had not yet sterilised the yeast jar adequately... so I think I will for a laugh put that into a swing top bottle for the LOLS ; ) 

Looks pretty dank but hopefully might end up tasting ok?

image.png.fc8d85d40d8b1026691be421ad44dc89.png

9 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I as a Kegger only brew just over 20L, 19L in the keg, 1L leftover trub etc.

No bottling, brewing 20L instead of 23L makes a better brew IMO 

Just my view RD 

Pretty much all my brews are 20L now - more bang for the bottle. 😄 Why drink more beer when you can drink stronger beer? 😄

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well spotted!  Yeah I think that @Red devil 44 Red noted too he bottles a few as he goes along ; )

Yeah the problem is with my AG caper I don't always get the final volume the same.... so the latest Black Beauty is probably only around 20L so haven't got many Litres for the archive ; )

Me being the saving person I am though - I saved the bottom layer of the brew which has a swag of Trub (gunk from bottom of mash tun-boil kettle vessel)... into my Yeast-Cultivation-Jar...  to use some for OG... anyway it started fermenting cos I had not yet sterilised the yeast jar adequately... so I think I will for a laugh put that into a swing top bottle for the LOLS ; ) 

Looks pretty dank but hopefully might end up tasting ok?

image.png.fc8d85d40d8b1026691be421ad44dc89.png

Occasionally I do bottle a few largies for the Old Boy, but been making a double batch of Wheat Beer lately which strangely he doesn’t like.

Back in the old days he used to drink tallies of Brisbane Bitter ( or Brisbane River as it was affectionately called 🤣) , maybe that stuff killed his taste buds 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Pretty much all my brews are 20L now - more bang for the bottle. 😄 Why drink more beer when you can drink stronger beer? 😄

Yeah you probably belong with me and @PaddyBrew2 Paddy who really don't believe in brewing too much under 5.5% ABV if it can be helped...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Back in the old days he used to drink tallies of Brisbane Bitter ( or Brisbane River as it was affectionately called 🤣) , maybe that stuff killed his taste buds 🤣🤣

Brisbane Bitter.... Yeeeehaaaa.... now yer bringing back the Good Ol' Days.  Did you ever drink that XXXX Games Special  - think it was like around 6.5%?

Remember getting a terrrrrrible fark_ken headache from it : |

12 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Brisbane Bitter.... Yeeeehaaaa.... now yer bringing back the Good Ol' Days.  Did you ever drink that XXXX Games Special  - think it was like around 6.5%?

Remember getting a terrrrrrible fark_ken headache from it : |

Yes I got a few cartons of the Games Special as my mate was working at XXXX at the time, it was pretty potent stuff from memory.

Ive got a lot of the old XXXX cans, empty & unopened, from the 82 Commonwealth Games the Old Boy gave me for my bar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yes I got a few cartons of the Games Special as my mate was working at XXXX at the time, it was pretty potent stuff from memory.

Ive got a lot of the old XXXX cans, empty & unopened, from the 82 Commonwealth Games the Old Boy gave me for my bar.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice - good stuff Red!

I dunno what you blokes are blithering on about regards high quality beer storage... check out the below - that is how it is done:

PS please ensure you are wearing hard hat, steel capped boots and safety glasses as objects may fall from the sky at any time.... 😝

Yeah it is a wanton disgrace  (and please be careful here - it is not a Wonton disgrace.... steamed preferred rather than deep fried) and when SWMBO finally turns up to review, I suspect I am in for a severe shellacking.   But for any of you WHS auditors please note that this is work in progress and a continuous improvement opportunity ; )

Mmmm... and too.... am renting this old farmhouse and this room is one of the more damp ones so is being used as store-room... no real excuse... but.... there you go 😁

image.thumb.png.011b2d7ed977ae1b0add657f18e3dcc3.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4