Coopers Community

SMASH Recipe for new BrewZilla 3.1

Well as the title says, I have decided to treat myself to a 35L BrewZilla for Xmas and taken the step to AG.

I have Pale Ale Malt, and want to do a nice easy SMASH to get things underway.

I will be no chilling (cubing), so if the recipe (IBU's) need to be adjusted for that please take that into account.

I am after a nice recipe to get me a Pale Ale AG brew. I am thinking of using Mosaic hops with the pale malt as a SMASH (single malt single hop). I also have US-05 yeast on hand so will most probably use that.

Could anyone be nice enough to give me a decent SMASH recipe to get me underway? Am open to other hops however I am a fan of Mosaic so thought that would be a good starting point.

Cheers, Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 1

Hey @MitchellScottyou’ll have fun doing AG that’s for sure. I’ve done about 7 AG brews on my guten And am loving it. My first brew wasn’t a smash but it was simple. I did 5kg pale malt and .5 of light crystal. Bittered with warrior and a decent late addition of mosaic and citra. Dry hopped with mosaic and citra too. US05

in terms of accounting for IBU in the cube..... I’m certainly no expert but I havnt noticed any major jump in Ibu for the 7 brews I’ve cubed. If you were cube hopping, this probably needs to be accounted for as your dumping a fresh charge in the cube and leaving it until pitching.  Doing a 20min FO addtion at 90deg that gets removed doesn’t seem to increase ibu majorly in beer smith so I can’t see it continuing much once it’s cubed. 

There’s a brulosophy pod cast about cubing. They chat about extra bitterness from cubing and gaining excessive bitterness but I remember think the exact opposite of what they found.....

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help guys! Makes sense. 

I'm gonna get beersmith and I'll try to come up with something nice and simple for my first brew. Hoping to get it underway in the next couple of days however it will stay in the cube for a few weeks as I have a extract pacific ale fermenting at the moment. 

Cheers, Mitch. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

There’s a brulosophy pod cast about cubing. They chat about extra bitterness from cubing and gaining excessive bitterness but I remember think the exact opposite of what they found.....

I read a brulosophy article about a guy cubing for a year and he said he had excessive bitterness also, but he never adjusted the recipe for the additional time at isomerisation temps, which would explain his excessive bitterness. You would think the brulosophy guys could figure out that hot wort and hops will affect bitterness and adjust the hop schedule accordingly.

I have only done a few AG brews but for pale ales, cubed, I generally do a bittering charge at 60 min and the rest at flameout or cubed with no other additions. If I was going to do a 30 min addition I would add it at 10 min or cubed. I do this schedule to maximise aroma and adjust for the time hot. If I find a recipe to bitter, I adjust the 60 min addition down but tend to keep the flameout additions as is.

• Like 1

@Norris! I rekon that pod cast corresponds to that article cause it was basically the same thing. I’ve been doing a 60 a 20 or a 10 and a flame out and then cubing at 85-90 deg, without any crazy bitterness issues. Infact I think I could up my bittering charge. I think beersmith fibs a bit or I’m losing it somewhere along the way. 

ive not been listening to the brulosphy podcast for that long but half of what they talk about has to be taken with a grain of salt and or A spoonful of common sense 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

It is actually. I started brewing because I wanted a corona that didn't break the bank, but then,found my love for hops. I thank stone and wood Pacific ale for that, after that it has been a slippery slope, to say the least, to beer heaven, Well my version at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

I have only done a few AG brews but for pale ales, cubed, I generally do a bittering charge at 60 min and the rest at flameout or cubed with no other additions. 

I'd second this as a method to try as the beers I have made and enjoyed the most follow this pretty closely. I found it difficult to get the balance right with other additions. It hasn't worked perfectly every time but is getting me closer to the kind of beer I like to drink.

Good luck with your brew day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, hoping to have first brew day with AG/BrewZilla tomorrow.

I have just made up this SMaSH recipe on BrewFather and want your thoughts.

I have put the "Hopstand" temp to 90C to indicate a cube hop and set the time to 20mins which I am guessing would be the approx time the cube will take to drop to non isomerization temps. I am also guessing that after the boil by the time the wort is in the Cube it will be approx 90C?

image.thumb.png.c166b5e4734148eb9fbfad1b63d439a3.png

Mitch.

I use similar schedules for pale ales, but I build them backwards in Beersmith. I start by adding what I want late: cube hops, flameout and 10 minutes or so, then I add whatever is needed at 60 mins or FWH to get the IBUs to around 37/38. Works well. Sometimes I'll go over that figure because the late additions don't really taste that bitter anyway so there is some leeway. 

Just remember Beersmith and all other software calculates approximate IBUs pre fermentation, so you will lose some during the fermentation, somewhere between 10-30%. So a 40 IBU wort might end up anywhere between 28-36 IBUs after fermentation. But who knows how accurate it even is... All I know is that when I construct hop schedules to get to a certain IBU figure in the software, the beer turns out as expected. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 1:02 PM, NewBrews said:

This is about the easiest SMaSH I could think of in BeerSmith using the RoboBrew profile, based on what you wanted and had on hand.

E1CEE2F9-03EF-4C7B-B1B2-8792FAB25CF5.png

3CF69DEB-0B63-4BA1-9AA7-A92741A273B5.png

So how did this turnout, you should be drinking it by now. 

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So how did this turnout, you should be drinking it by now. 

I ended up brewing this recipe: 

image.thumb.png.c166b5e4734148eb9fbfad1b63d439a3.png

It is still in the cube, hoping to get it into the fermenter this Sat as my pacific ale which is currently in the fermenter should be ready to keg by then.

Will update as fermentation gets underway and I get it into the keg.

I hit 1.052 OG and pretty much filled the cube perfectly so I guess brew day went pretty well for my first AG brew. Now it just comes down to the taste 😛

Mitch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That looks well under bittered. 22 IBU is very low. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out too sweet even though it is only base malt in there. They need to be up over 30 at least.

I was aiming for something similar to the All Inn FWK Mosaic XPA, which is not very bitter at all. I'm planning to so some other SMaSH's before moving into using different malts and hops so if I find it under-bittered I will increase the IBU's in my next attempt. Might use Citra or Amarillo in the next one.

It probably doesn't taste all that bitter but they've also probably used a fair amount of late hops, so the IBUs are probably higher but don't necessarily taste like it.

The pale ale I have on tap now is 38 IBUs, but doesn't taste 'bitter' as such, just nicely balanced. It only got 3.7 of those IBUs from a FWH addition, the rest were all from 10 minutes, flameout and cube hops. If it was only in the low 20s however, I have no doubt it would be overly sweet and not a very nice beer.

ON the other hand, my pilsners are usually around 45 IBUs with most of those coming from long boiled additions but also taste nicely balanced, partly due to the hop varieties used, partly due to the extremely soft water it's brewed with, probably partly to do with the lagering process as well smoothing things out. It all just depends on the beer itself and what works to make it taste its best.

If I am going to miss my bitterness target I usually prefer to go over it, because it will always mellow out in time. If it's too sweet to start with, it can't really be fixed with age, or anything else really.

• Like 1

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

It probably doesn't taste all that bitter but they've also probably used a fair amount of late hops, so the IBUs are probably higher but don't necessarily taste like it.

The pale ale I have on tap now is 38 IBUs, but doesn't taste 'bitter' as such, just nicely balanced. It only got 3.7 of those IBUs from a FWH addition, the rest were all from 10 minutes, flameout and cube hops. If it was only in the low 20s however, I have no doubt it would be overly sweet and not a very nice beer.

ON the other hand, my pilsners are usually around 45 IBUs with most of those coming from long boiled additions but also taste nicely balanced, partly due to the hop varieties used, partly due to the extremely soft water it's brewed with, probably partly to do with the lagering process as well smoothing things out. It all just depends on the beer itself and what works to make it taste its best.

If I am going to miss my bitterness target I usually prefer to go over it, because it will always mellow out in time. If it's too sweet to start with, it can't really be fixed with age, or anything else really.

Fair enough, I didn't get any replies to my original post of the recipe and I had to get it brewed last weekend or I'd have to wait till next weekend to do it so I just went with it..

Fingers crossed it turns out OK 🤞