Coopers Community

DIY Craft kit newbie question

dxroberts

just got the diy craft beer kit and have a couple of questions:

can all of the mr brew extracts (golden ale, amber ale, north west pale, ipa,) can be made without needing a krausen kollar? 

also as ales, are they a little more warm temperature forgiving? the best i can do is put in bottom kitchen cupboard that's quite stable but can get up to 25 max in summer. i can drape in wet towel too if that will help to reduce temp.  

thanks for any helps guys. 

Ditch the collar. From memory the amounts you would mix the craft sized cans up too would make the collar not that useful anyway

are you using the full sized fermentor? Or does the craft one come with a collar too?

the sweet spots for ales are 18-22. Depends on the strain though. A Wet towel in a bucket of water goes ok. I battled with it for a few months and made some nice beers. 

2 hours ago, dxroberts said:

just got the diy craft beer kit and have a couple of questions:

can all of the mr brew extracts (golden ale, amber ale, north west pale, ipa,) can be made without needing a krausen kollar? 

also as ales, are they a little more warm temperature forgiving? the best i can do is put in bottom kitchen cupboard that's quite stable but can get up to 25 max in summer. i can drape in wet towel too if that will help to reduce temp.  

thanks for any helps guys. 

Welcome to the bottomless pit of home brewing 🙂 

Yes, you can make all of them without the collar. 

Ales are a little more forgiving when it comes to temps but keep them as cool as you can regardless. I'd been brewing over 6 months in ambient temps and got some decent beers. Using a wet towel is a good idea, if you can have a fan blowing on it, it'd be even better. Try to keep it as far below 25C as you can. If you decide this is a hobby you want to pursue, then get temperature control going, but until then, just use what you have.

• Like 1

Welcome to the esoterica and endless depths of the rabbit hole that is brewing your own beer. 😄 

Much to learn but unlike most subjects, you can get great results from the start. I had my first brew that hit 36°C for a few hours not long after pitching the yeast - it still turned out drinkable thanks to advice from here. 

And the rest since then have been even betterer.

Don't be scared to ask. There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who do not ask. 😄