Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

1 minute ago, Spudley said:

Yep , you know how it is, to bloody impatient to wait , just gotta have a taste.😁🍻  I'm my worst enemy 😀

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah but you know mate then that things (the brew in this case) can only get better!

• Haha 1

My Tropicale Mosaic. A pale kit with Mosaic and Cascade bittered, and another 30g of each steeped. Wasn't sure about this one to begin with, it came out quite differently and very stonefruity - very peachy and honeydew melon. Mosaic was more tropical when I dry hopped it with my last pale, but I did use a shedload.

Kitchen is a mess, so outside photos. Which is also a mess as the builders are in.

20200112_161327_resized.thumb.jpg.b19da4ddb23666f3e41529f636f4e193.jpg

• Like 7

At Craftbrewer when I bought my biofine they advised it needs about a week for everything to pretty much settle out fully. This lines up with what I've observed in the fermenters, a day or two after adding it there's a thickish yeast layer sitting above the trub, maybe 35-40mm high. Each day it gets lower.

This red ale was allowed to sit for a week before it was kegged. It's also had another few days in the fridge gassing up. Tastes good but I can certainly tell the difference in the yeast influence. I prefer it with 1469, this was the one I tipped into the fermenter by mistake and it was fermented with 1056 as a result.

PSX_20200112_183047.thumb.jpg.3138342345e8d1cfaf77854ed1f4d214.jpg

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Sounds really nice Lab Rat. Do you like it?

I do it's a decent drop, but peach isn't my go to flavour for beer. I called it Tropicale because last time I dry hopped 100g Mosaic plus another hop and got subtle but lingering tropical flavours. I thought I'd still get more of those, and there is melon there, but it's just a different result.

But 150g of hops on a single brew is a bit nuts, so have been experimenting with bittering and steeping to use them a bit more conservatively, knowing they'll react differently.

I'd do this again, but only bitter probably 10g mosaic and save my allocation for dry hopping. This is all part of the refining and testing process. Good beers are still made either way.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

...I'd do this again, but only bitter probably 10g mosaic and save my allocation for dry hopping. This is all part of the refining and testing process. Good beers are still made either way.

Good move. Some of the aromatic hop varieties also produce some other favourable aspects when boiled for periods. From my brewing experiences with it, I don't feel Mosaic is one of those. Best used late boil/whirlpool & definitely dry hopped.

Glad the beer turned out well. Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I am sipping a nice crisp, carbonated and dry Flanders Red, cheers @Hairy

I am pretty blown away by this beer. It is complex to say the least with a sour hit of maybe cherry, but I get hints of sappy pear and purple grape flavours, the grape reminds me of hubba bubba grape gum. It is crazy. I was worried I might not like it but this is a good beer.

Well done Hairy.

2020-01-12 20.35.55.jpg

2020-01-12 20.44.24.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

At Craftbrewer when I bought my biofine they advised it needs about a week for everything to pretty much settle out fully. This lines up with what I've observed in the fermenters, a day or two after adding it there's a thickish yeast layer sitting above the trub, maybe 35-40mm high. Each day it gets lower.

This red ale was allowed to sit for a week before it was kegged. It's also had another few days in the fridge gassing up. Tastes good but I can certainly tell the difference in the yeast influence. I prefer it with 1469, this was the one I tipped into the fermenter by mistake and it was fermented with 1056 as a result.

PSX_20200112_183047.thumb.jpg.3138342345e8d1cfaf77854ed1f4d214.jpg

The fish guts version looks better. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I can’t take credit for that, it was someone else in the club. I would have just written on the cap with a marker.

I should have known. 🙄

This now explains your reason for being part of a brewing club.

Perks. 😜

Lusty.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BlackSands said:

You were talking of possible bottle contaminations elsewhere... is this one of the brews you were referring to?

Yet to be proven with this one.  It has only been in the bottle for 9 days.  The frothing issue discussed on another thread has only appeared after 3-4 months or more in some brews.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Norris! said:

I am sipping a nice crisp, carbonated and dry Flanders Red, cheers @Hairy

I am pretty blown away by this beer. It is complex to say the least with a sour hit of maybe cherry, but I get hints of sappy pear and purple grape flavours, the grape reminds me of hubba bubba grape gum. It is crazy. I was worried I might not like it but this is a good beer.

Well done Hairy.

2020-01-12 20.35.55.jpg

Quite enjoyed that one too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Another pic in daylight of my Irish Red Ale, not overly red though 🤷‍♂️
Nice drop though 😃

Suspect it is very tasty Red.  Maybe try the below approaches mate maybe?

... setting sun or incandescent bulb... mmmm but the below aren't so red either... more of a deep amber ; )

image.png.e120dc78742b1ba973a4c3b9c2f5443c.png

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Suspect it is very tasty Red.  Maybe try the below approaches mate maybe?

... setting sun or incandescent bulb... mmmm but the below aren't so red either... more of a deep amber ; )

image.png.e120dc78742b1ba973a4c3b9c2f5443c.png

Yeah was a very overcast day here in SEQLD, I’ll try again tomorrow, still an absolute cracker beer 🍺 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1