Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

7 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

KB lager. No idea if it tastes like the original as I was too young to drink it in its heyday but its very very nice. Crisp with a hint of sweetness and a nice subtle hop taste with the EKG prominent. Have a keg of this lagering. I think it will be better out of the tap. The old man will be the judge if its close to the original.

15913497184859137578679924786161.jpg

Where you at? I'll come taste test for you 😜

Hmmm... sweetness not what I recall in a KB, malty bitter perhaps. Give it some aging

This is a Coopers Dark Ale with liquid light malt, dextrose and cinnamon and it's around 4.6% abv. It's only been in the bottle for 2 weeks but I've cracked this one early for the sake of research and development and the curiosity of @Thirsty Jim.

Jim, it's a good drop but Dark Ale usually is. I can taste and smell a little of the cinnamon-iness 😁 which I reckon adds a sweetness to the beer. I don't know why that would be because cinnamon isn't really sweet. As with all bottled beers it needs more time to condition. It's not quite mellowed yet in my opinion.

IMG20200606161248.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Muzzy.  I have put mine away from a few weeks too.  Admittedly I doubled the cinnamon dose which maybe why I am getting 'heat' and you aren't.  I like the cinnamon addition because it doesn't detract from the dark ale.   Nice combination.   I have labeled mine 'SinnerMan' coz I am a big Nina Simone fan and I can't resist a pun.  

PS :  If that is your research and development glass I'd hate to see the one you use to drown your sorrows 😂

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Cheers Muzzy.  I have put mine away from a few weeks too.  Admittedly I doubled the cinnamon dose which maybe why I am getting 'heat' and you aren't.  I like the cinnamon addition because it doesn't detract from the dark ale.   Nice combination.   I have labeled mine 'SinnerMan' coz I am a big Nina Simone fan and I can't resist a pun.  

PS :  If that is your research and development glass I'd hate to see the one you use to drown your sorrows 😂

Did you detect any sweetness or am I imagining things?

That glass has saved my marriage. I only do long neck bottles. Pouring more than once from the bottle and stirring up sediment was giving me flatulence of the worst kind. That glass holds a full long neck ie. one pour. Less sediment in Muzz's guts = less gas. Happy wife. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

This is a Coopers Dark Ale with liquid light malt, dextrose and cinnamon and it's around 4.6% abv. It's only been in the bottle for 2 weeks but I've cracked this one early for the sake of research and development and the curiosity of @Thirsty Jim.

Jim, it's a good drop but Dark Ale usually is. I can taste and smell a little of the cinnamon-iness 😁 which I reckon adds a sweetness to the beer. I don't know why that would be because cinnamon isn't really sweet. As with all bottled beers it needs more time to condition. It's not quite mellowed yet in my opinion.

IMG20200606161248.jpg

Head looks 'young/immature/juvenile' too. Good coloured beer though

• Like 1

Had a Cooper's dark ale session last night, featuring the last 2 PET bottles from DA1 and a few crown seal long necks from DA2. Very similar in taste surprisingly as DA1 has been in bottle for 6 weeks and DA2 only 8 days. Was a bit too difficult for photo ops so no pics. Big difference in head and retention between them with DA1 being the big winner there being properly mature and all.

Was that brew there @MUZZY bulk primed or drop/sugar for carbonation? I'm using 2.3vols CO2 for sugar rate...maybe go a little higher next time?

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Keeping with the theme of dark beers, the ace of spades porter. You can see how it got its name. Still some carbonation to go but better than the last glass. 

PSX_20200607_125543.thumb.jpg.c3e02d9669285ec32668ca835efffa92.jpg

Lemmy is pointing straight at the glass demanding one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Had a Cooper's dark ale session last night, featuring the last 2 PET bottles from DA1 and a few crown seal long necks from DA2. Very similar in taste surprisingly as DA1 has been in bottle for 6 weeks and DA2 only 8 days. Was a bit too difficult for photo ops so no pics. Big difference in head and retention between them with DA1 being the big winner there being properly mature and all.

Was that brew there @MUZZY bulk primed or drop/sugar for carbonation? I'm using 2.3vols CO2 for sugar rate...maybe go a little higher next time?

I use 1 carb drop and 1 sugar cube per long neck to carbonate, Uncle.

My version of the XPA (used El Dorado & Azacca hops instead of Simcoe & Lemondrop), also used a 100gm extra of the light crystal grain. The hops make for quite a nice heady aroma of fruit and some welcome bitterness. 6.8% in the bottle and at 3 weeks is a tasty drop with good head retention and mouthfeel. 

BA0D0633-6928-4A70-9A64-13BFA1081A75.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just finished nightshifts so time for a brekky beer. Simple Coopers Real Ale with a kilo of ldme and some fuggles chucked in. Two weeks bottled. It's very tasty. I'd love to be pouring this off a keg. No k@k twang at all.

IMG20200608075359.jpg

• Like 8

Round two for the morning and the dogs don't seem that interested this time. Maybe because it's only 8am. Mangrove Jack Aussie Pale Ale, dry hopped with Citra. Very delicious. I think I'm on the right track with my brewing come back.

IMG20200608082152.jpg

• Like 6

Steadily working my way through these - "Covid Gold".  A nice blend of Nelson and Kohatu hops really lends a strong passionfruit vibe to this beer.  As it happens I particularly like passionfruit so that's a welcome bonus!   😜

CovidGold_Jun2020-2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1