Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

3 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

AG Brown Porter tonight nice light coffee toasty aroma delicious 😋 Two weeks in the bottle.

Nice RD - what are your malt and hop areas of interest on this one? ; )

45 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Usually in the mash 

When it comes to using such enzyme, there’s some debate as to whether it should added during the mash to assist the natural enzymes in the conversion process, or to the beer during fermentation....

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

When it comes to using such enzyme, there’s some debate as to whether it should added during the mash to assist the natural enzymes in the conversion process, or to the beer during fermentation....

If I was ever gonna use it, I'd probably use it in the mash. At least then it will be denatured in the boil and not cause potential problems later on. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

At what stage do you add it?

A few days into fermentation.

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Usually in the mash 

I believe it's better added during fermentation, helps retain the character of the beer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I believe it's better added during fermentation, helps retain the character of the beer

Yeah I think it can be used either but the bit that I found seemed to suggest better during ferment.... what was the Yeast Benny?

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah it depends on what you want to do with it, I say usually in the mash as to help with conversion in macro beers. 
If you want character of malt then yeah Definitely in the FV 

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

A few days into fermentation.

I believe the same thing, each brut (3) I have done I’ve put it in the FV. 

• Thanks 1

Tried a porter last night after one day in the keg on serving pressure. Hardly any head but there was enough of a hint of carbonation that it didn't taste flat. Typical outcome for this recipe, nice chocolate in the background and a pretty smooth beer overall. I'll try it again next week when it's had more time to carbonate. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Tried a porter last night after one day in the keg on serving pressure. Hardly any head but there was enough of a hint of carbonation that it didn't taste flat. Typical outcome for this recipe, nice chocolate in the background and a pretty smooth beer overall. I'll try it again next week when it's had more time to carbonate. 

Is that your ace of spades porter?

I have this brew I call 'Dark Old Ale' because it's kinda like an English Old Ale but darker with caramalt and rye choc malt grain as well as some light crystal.

It tastes like a teenage stout - a little like my coffee stout but without the coffee and milder on the stout back-of-the-tongue tastes. Rather nice actually. Only 6.5% so I can have an extra one. 😄 I do have 4 bottles of it on the shelf for ageing.

It's quite young - my first use of the carb lid and had only 24 hours of that at 12 psi before I swapped back tot eh corny lid and put it back on serving - been there about 2 days now. The next time I use the carb lid I will have my 2-way manifold in place so I can turn off the main 4-way manifold and carb a keg at 30 psi. I know I could have done it this time but one must use what one has paid for... right? 😄 

I will say, schooner #3 is going down very nicely and I have a 450g T-bone to cook... 😄 

Dark Old Ale.jpg

I will add... I gave SWMBO a taste and. although she is not a fan of the coffee stout, she tried to keep my glass of this... 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah. Haven't brewed it for a while so figured it was about time. It was kegged in February. 

I brewed it twice and such a solid brew. Then i went and tweeked a little with some smoked malt and eventually to baltic porters, but i should get this one down again.

• Like 1

Well this has been well worth the wait. Since late last year this brew has been keg conditioning up until yesterday when it was put in the fridge and then today it was put under nitrogen. Tzars tar. Maybe another day on the nitro to get that lasting cascade effect. Wasn’t quick enough with the camera. 

a delicious beer. Hard to tell it’s 9%...so a bit dangerous. Might just be my winter night cap...

D1B430B3-9E8C-42F6-AD78-0C072E2D18FA.jpeg

• Like 6

KB lager. No idea if it tastes like the original as I was too young to drink it in its heyday but its very very nice. Crisp with a hint of sweetness and a nice subtle hop taste with the EKG prominent. Have a keg of this lagering. I think it will be better out of the tap. The old man will be the judge if its close to the original.

15913497184859137578679924786161.jpg

• Like 5