Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

2 minutes ago, Cassius said:

looks like a bloody delicious beer to me

Is GLORIOUS. 
The combination of Amarillo, Mosaic and Eldorado is stunning. Worked well in my White IPA too. The malt backbone in this one brings out some berry (from the Mosaic I believe)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I would say so, but I’ve never hooked up any Stout to run on pure N2 ?

Nitrogen is a slow moving gas when in a vapour form through Gas Lines, so it would pour very slowly I would assume.

Yer a ruddy champ RD... thanks mate.

Yeah it was @Cosmo2450 who was doing it with coffee.... so was wondering whether I could do it with Stout.

Anyway - you have provided some very good insights into this whole game so that is good.

So another basic question - if you get a cylinder from BOC - you have to pay rent - @Hoppy81 has to pay $14 a month.... $168 per year (still way cheaper than buying Guinness or Stout on tap from a beer service provider or getting booked by PLOD on the way home from a nice quiet session of 10 pints hey)

so...  Can you just buy it outright... think that is what most people do with C02?  But Beergas is a bit less common hey.

I remember in the 90s the issue of having to pay this ongoing fee.... like I think I have to with my big LPG cylinders for gas cooking and H20....

3 hours ago, Cassius said:

Granted I am at the very beginning of my brewing journey and therefore much less of a perfectionist than some, but sitting at my desk on a Friday waiting for drinking time that still looks like a bloody delicious beer to me.

Gold Cassius.

And if @Ben 10 Benny brewed this lovely AG special... it will be delectable ; )

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yer a ruddy champ RD... thanks mate.

Yeah it was @Cosmo2450 who was doing it with coffee.... so was wondering whether I could do it with Stout.

Anyway - you have provided some very good insights into this whole game so that is good.

So another basic question - if you get a cylinder from BOC - you have to pay rent - @Hoppy81 has to pay $14 a month.... $168 per year (still way cheaper than buying Guinness or Stout on tap from a beer service provider or getting booked by PLOD on the way home from a nice quiet session of 10 pints hey)

so...  Can you just buy it outright... think that is what most people do with C02?  But Beergas is a bit less common hey.

I remember in the 90s the issue of having to pay this ongoing fee.... like I think I have to with my big LPG cylinders for gas cooking and H20....

I have 2 x 6 kg CO2 cylinders, and bought them outright, $120 full, then $60 to exchange. You won’t be able to buy direct from BOC I wouldn’t of thought, but should be able to either like you say rent it. I would of thought you could  buy the Stout Mix outright from the LHBS, I’ve never asked as a I don’t drink Stout. Maybe Kegland or someone like that may sell you a Cylinder ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I have 2 x 6 kg CO2 cylinders, and bought them outright, $120 full, then $60 to exchange. You won’t be able to buy direct from BOC I wouldn’t of thought, but should be able to either like you say rent it. I would of thought you could  buy the Stout Mix outright from the LHBS, I’ve never asked as a I don’t drink Stout. Maybe Kegland or someone like that may sell you a Cylinder ?

Good stuff.

Yep reckon I will investigate further, as like @Hoppy81 am pretty keen to be able to deliver that creamy Nitro pour for both Stouts and some beers like Boddington's Bitter.

Thanks mate. BB

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yep reckon I will investigate further, as like @Hoppy81 am pretty keen to be able to deliver that creamy Nitro pour for both Stouts and some beers like Boddington's Bitter.

@Hoppy81 - to continue the nitro discussion - think you said you gas up your keg with C02 and then pour with Nitro mix Beer Gas... given @Red devil 44 Red's comment re Nitro not mixing so well...

Why don't you gas the brew up with the Beer Gas Nitro:C02 mix in the first instance?

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

AG brew 2. Pacific ale, hopped with Summer and Galaxy. I'm pretty sure this batch will not last very long 🙂

AK you are all-graining-up a treat... great stuff!!!

Got the system humming now?

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

AK you are all-graining-up a treat... great stuff!!!

Got the system humming now?

Yeah mate, I'm getting there. I started to figure out the machine and eliminated a few flaws in my process. I'll fire up the brewery again tomorrow morning. A similar brew but playing with the grain bill. There is so much to learn and understand and so little time to do it 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah mate, I'm getting there. I started to figure out the machine and eliminated a few flaws in my process. I'll fire up the brewery again tomorrow morning. A similar brew but playing with the grain bill. There is so much to learn and understand and so little time to do it 🙂 

Great stuff mate.  Agreed - loads to learn and explore!

So little time.... lifelong learning they call it mate ; )

When I get things going again down here I have aspirations around AG Kölsch, Stout (and maybe some nitro here), a Rauchbier (had a nice one in Bamberg years ago) and a Saison... 

The opportunities are endless 😋

3rd time lucky!   First two bottles I opened were gushers, one of which was particularly impressive!  Which I'd captured it on video!  😁

This is my single hop Golden Ale (again) using the new/experimental NZ hop - Hort4337.   Great tasting beer and one of my better ones (apart from the odd gusher!) ...and a particularly bad case of 'floaties'.  Not sure what that's all about... looks like yeast based on the colour, unless it's 'bleached' hop bits? 🙄  Annoying though.   The particles bounce around for a while in the rising CO2 bubbles but eventually settle out in the bottom of the glass.   

4337_Jan2020-1.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

38 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

3rd time lucky!   First two bottles I opened were gushers, one of which was particularly impressive!  Which I'd captured it on video!  😁

Good luck with future bottles BS... hopefully you get a better strike rate as it looks a nice drop.

What do you think is the cause of 'the Gusher'... my gut feel is wild yeast...

I have had that a long time ago but there the whole batch was gushing... we tried some but it was a little fruity... probably shoulda called it a Saison and kept drinking?! 😜

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What do you think is the cause of 'the Gusher'... my gut feel is wild yeast...

Yeah... as discussed in another thread, most likely diastaticus.  I had thought they m36 yeast slurry I'd been using was perhaps contaminated - a slurry I'd used in several batches, but it's only some bottles thankfully.   Phew!    Anyway, I'm giving the current round of bottles a capful of bleach and an overnight soak!  😈

• Haha 1

Had to go into work today... so it was nice to cheer myself up with this AG beauty out of the keg upon return... An AG Ur Bock Helles... 6% ABV with FG of 1020 so is full bodied.

Hallertau and Saaz hops... Grain - Pilsener Malt, acidulated malt, some wheat and a bit of Munich...  W34/70... very cream top... only a few litres left in the keg sadly:

image.thumb.png.df57011ce8829537ac583662b2e56b6c.png

But will be handy to have an empty keg for another brew ; )

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

Second taste of the Oui Oui Bread Stick Saison. Dry, nicely carbonated and got the toasty bready notes I wanted. Aroma is floral and a bit funky. Tastes amazing.

Blaaardy byordiful NB - so what yeast please?

Am keen to have a crack at Saison in the future and am leaning towards Belle...

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

A bit high on the FG BB that may create some carbonation issues moving forward as the beer ages. If I was you, I'd gobble this up before that problem is likely to surface.

Looks great now, & tasting nice so drink it. 😉

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty!  Yes I don't think this is going to be a problem ...  nearly all gone : (

The texture is bizarrely amazing -  going towards - but not quite - that Guinness/Boddy's Nitro creamy feel... maybe with the high OG thing going on?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

@Hoppy81 - to continue the nitro discussion - think you said you gas up your keg with C02 and then pour with Nitro mix Beer Gas... given @Red devil 44 Red's comment re Nitro not mixing so well...

Why don't you gas the brew up with the Beer Gas Nitro:C02 mix in the first instance?

I probably could with the next one. I had this on C02 before i had the Nitro bottle. Might give it a shot with the next one and see how it goes with the 70/30 mix.

I'm pretty sure i've read that you don't do that with straight nitro though?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, Red devil 44 said:

BB, i worked for Air Liquide in the 90,s and both them & BOC make a 70/30 Stout Mix Gas Cylinder, not sure it’s exact name these days but there is such an animal, as we used  to adjust filling lines to suit a particular mix, cheers.

It's called Multimix 70/30 👍

• Like 2