Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

16 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Another 5% pale with 33% wheat malt

Centennial, mosaic, Amarillo. 

Smashable. 

CC9BB12D-D879-40DB-B25B-60CD82035833.jpeg

Literally smashable the way it’s balanced on the wood🤣. Nice looking beer nice and golden with good hop combo😋

• Haha 1

2 beers on show tonight. Beer 1, my maris otter pekko hop smash. This was the experimental beer i did with the year old s05 starter harvest. 7 days bottle. Well it needs another week, still sweet from carb drops but no off flavours and should be a great beer when ready. Beer 2, 10l keg and a bastard blend of two toucans i did so you could say its a fourcan. Very clear nice tasting brew worthy of a review.

20200418_154122.jpg

20200418_160831.jpg

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, Worthog said:

What is giving this Pale Ale the colour, @Hairy?

There is Munich and light crystal in it. I don’t usually use crystal in pale ales but I was trying to use up supplies.

It also looks much darker in the photo than in real life.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wrong thread ha ha - but - a bit of garlic in a lovely raised irrigated garden bed there in the festive brew photo background Kapitan?

image.png.c6300daa7ac6f7663297cbc6b468dc55.png

Yeah Capt. is a semi-pro garlic producer.

I remember he claimed he got hurt in a bus once, but given this addiction for garlic it reminds me of a certain other movie & individual...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/322a284e-0c06-412f-a092-f3dde11a61e9#Q9AX4Em0Y1k.copy

😁

Lusty.

• Haha 2

WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast, a bit of Roasted Barley, CaraBohemian malt, Hort 4337, & Cashmere hops = 

WLP059CashmereAmberAle.jpg

An inadvertent Amber Ale. 😉

A good little experiment with the WLP059 that has me believing it favours malt over hops as I suspected it would, after my first brew with it a month or so back.

The beer itself drinks nice & malty with flavours of caramel & a hint of roast. The hopping notes are there without being anything over the top. A nice Autumn drinker.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 8

Diving into my South Pacific IPA again.  It's my 2nd English IPA and I'm now seriously starting to think this could be one of my most preferred styles.  I'll be brewing a lot more of these I think!  

Actually, it was supposed to be a first tasting of my 'Lockdown NZPA' but I grabbed a bottle from the wrong crate!  Doh!  😫

SouthPacIPA-4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:01 PM, The Captain!! said:

Another 5% pale with 33% wheat malt

Centennial, mosaic, Amarillo. 

Smashable. 

CC9BB12D-D879-40DB-B25B-60CD82035833.jpeg

I've tried a bacon beer from a craft brewery in the Barossa. I thought it was dreadful but it did taste like bacon. Have you ever experimented with garlic in a brew, Skipper?

Lovely afternoon here at beer o'clock in the Blackall Range Valley on the Sunny Coast. This is the Tooth XXX 1917 reproduction. It has been in the keg for 3 weeks now and is drinking beautifully with great Belgium lacing. The 34% Golden Promise I used has given a delicate nutty taste.  This has nearly 25% of the bill in raw sugar and there is NO doubt that beer with body can be made when  using of the right ingredients.  The bill in rough figures is 75% grain and 25% sugar.  The Cluster and EKG bittering combo and the EKG flavouring. Gives it a smooth bitterness. The BU:GU ration is 0.86. This is a seriously good beer.  For those who like a Real Ale style this really foots the bill.   

20200419_164641.jpg

20200419_165649.jpg

• Like 9

Well the weather has become a little milder the past few days in Adelaide, so I've cracked open my first dark ale for 2020. Just the Coopers tin with a tin of liquid light malt extract. A little bit sweeter than the BE3 I'd normally use. This extract never fails and is a major reason why I don't feel the need to go AG.......yet.

IMG20200419165359.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Just the Coopers tin with a tin of liquid light malt extract. A little bit sweeter than the BE3 I'd normally use. This extract never fails and is a major reason why I don't feel the need to go AG.......yet.

Yeah... the DA is a good can I reckon.  I was very happy with a can + extract brew I did where I added 50g of Styrian Goldings -  inspired by the popular dark English ale - Hobgoblin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yeah... the DA is a good can I reckon.  I was very happy with a can + extract brew I did where I added 50g of Styrian Goldings -  inspired by the popular dark English ale - Hobgoblin. 

Is that a steep of Styrian Goldings on brew day, BS? Or a later hop addition? I've never bothered with hops with the DA because I like the flavour just as it is. However, I'm not resistant to trying something new. Hobgoblin, just the name alone sounds like it needs me to drink it.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

The Cluster and EKG bittering combo and the EKG flavouring. Gives it a smooth bitterness. The BU:GU ration is 0.86. This is a seriously good beer.  For those who like a Real Ale style this really foots the bill. 

A nice looking beer, Marty. I'm glad you've endorsed Cluster. I've just used Cluster for the first time in an APA which will be ready for drinking soon. I bought it because it was cheap and had my doubts if I'd done the right thing. I'm feeling a bit more relaxed now. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

ever experimented with garlic in a brew

Ha ha made/drunk a few 'Garlic Schnapps' before... that is a festive potent brew Muzzy ; )

Just white spirit with fresh pricked garlic cloves added.... phoooooeeee....

For medicinal purposes only of course!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A nice looking beer, Marty. I'm glad you've endorsed Cluster. I've just used Cluster for the first time in an APA which will be ready for drinking soon. I bought it because it was cheap and had my doubts if I'd done the right thing. I'm feeling a bit more relaxed now. Cheers!

Cluster is an old Australian hop. It was used extensively in Australian commercial beers until the advent of PoR in the late 50's. However, XXXX continued to use it and as far as i know still do in the XXXX heavy.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha made/drunk a few 'Garlic Schnapps' before... that is a festive potent brew Muzzy ; )

Just white spirit with fresh pricked garlic cloves added.... phoooooeeee....

For medicinal purposes only of course!

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine it'd be a nightclub drink when you're trying to pick up chicks. 😄 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Cluster is an old Australian hop. It was used extensively in Australian commercial beers until the advent of PoR in the late 50's. However, XXXX continued to use it and as far as i know still do in the XXXX heavy.  

Yeah, I read on some website that Cluster is a reasonable substitute for PoR, which I'd used previously. The price was right so I thought I'd give it a go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Lovely afternoon here at beer o'clock in the Blackall Range Valley on the Sunny Coast. This is the Tooth XXX 1917 reproduction. It has been in the keg for 3 weeks now and is drinking beautifully with great Belgium lacing. The 34% Golden Promise I used has given a delicate nutty taste.  This has nearly 25% of the bill in raw sugar and there is NO doubt that beer with body can be made when  using of the right ingredients.  The bill in rough figures is 75% grain and 25% sugar.  The Cluster and EKG bittering combo and the EKG flavouring. Gives it a smooth bitterness. The BU:GU ration is 0.86. This is a seriously good beer.  For those who like a Real Ale style this really foots the bill.   

20200419_164641.jpg

20200419_165649.jpg

Nice beer mate. What's Belgian lacing ? 

Coopers Abbey Blonde. Second time brewing this, won't be the last. Really good.

I'm having regular issues with my PETS though, as per pic. The last third of the bottles are starting to pour monster heads. This started happening in Summer, and I put it down to leaving them stored in hot garage, so brought those bottles in Since then, every brew has come inside to carb and store. No difference. My glass flippers are in the same box and don't do this. Beer tastes perfectly fine in either bottle though.

20200419_164657_resized.thumb.jpg.e34c3ba72ef0c3a1bcbe9eaf339d1366.jpg

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 3