BlackSands

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

Side-By-Side Taste Test as promised a few weeks ago.  These were AG brews I did to better understand the malts and what they bring.

SMaSH Pilsner

SMaSH Vienna Lager

SMaSH New Zealand Pilsner with a good dry hop of Riwaka (This was a 50:50 split off the SMaSH Pilsner, so exactly the same base)

Sorry for the boring background in the photo.  As you can see, the Vienna Lager is a little bit darker.  It has a slightly more toasty flavour.  The Pilsner has a slight honey aroma and flavour.  Both beers were bittered with Hallertauer Mittelfruh and have very similar bitterness.  The Vienna Lager has just a tiny bit bitterness (24 IBU's compared to 22.6 IBU's).  All are very pale.  They are all as clear as the NZ Pilsner.  I can just about watch the telly through them.

The NZ Pilsner aroma is tropical.  Not pineapple.  Maybe some passionfruit and some floral.  In the What's in Your Fermenter thread I described it as a little bit like terpentine.  Supposedly it is A-terpeniol that is considered a good aroma - similar to lilac.  Hence the "floral" I can also pick up.  Nice hoppiness to the flavour that is a repeat of the aroma.

Nice beers, albeit a little one dimensional.  SMaSH beers have been described like that by others too.  The only unfortunate thing is that they were all half batches.

IMG_1729.JPG.b469f6fba4ef1f0a5132a423ccc39124.JPG

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Side-By-Side Taste Test as promised a few weeks ago.  These were AG brews I did to better understand the malts and what they bring.

Nice job Shamus!  👍

• Thanks 1